What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Caldera v.s. Sunbelt  (Read 14950 times)

Deltanex

Caldera v.s. Sunbelt
« on: March 28, 2008, 08:22:39 am »
Hello everyone,

Whe are currently desciding between a Sunbelt Spa and the Caldera Tahitian. In response to an earlier post i was told that (You bether go for te real deal if the price difference is small) we are now seriously thinking of buying a Caldera Tahitian. However I understand that Caldera still uses wood in its frame and possibly as a base. Can anyone tell me if this is true and could this pose a potential problem in a wet climate?

Regards,

Alexander

Hot Tub Forum

Caldera v.s. Sunbelt
« on: March 28, 2008, 08:22:39 am »

Chris_H

Re: Caldera v.s. Sunbelt
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 09:00:10 am »
What is wrong with using wood?  I think most of the major manufacturers use wood.  

In addition, I really can’t see there being a person on this forum that would recommend the Sunbelt over the Caldera.  Just one person’s opinion.

Deltanex

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 10:24:48 am »
Well it seams to me wooden base and frame would last much shorter than plastic. I also read this between the lines of the warranty. Caldera's structural warranty is 10 years whereas Sunbelts is a lifetime.

Do not get me wrong its not a statement it is a question.

Regards

Alexander

Chris_H

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 11:01:00 am »
I think you are focusing on the parts that don’t fail like the structure instead of the items that do fail like the pumps, heaters, and motors.  These items appear to have a prorated warranty on these items for the Sunbelt spa.  

Additionally, the Sunbelt warranty excludes the pump seal.  This item is about 10 bucks retail, but it is a well known way for a manufacturer to void a warranty on the motor.  It is under the wearable components section.  Wearable components are common in spa warranties, but the details can change it substantially.  

One other thing I noticed, why is there only a one year warranty on the blower?

This was the warranty I was looking at:  http://sunbeltspas.com/data/Premium.pdf

Always look at the details…

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 11:07:22 am »
Well it seams to me wooden base and frame would last much shorter than plastic. I also read this between the lines of the warranty. Caldera's structural warranty is 10 years whereas Sunbelts is a lifetime.

Do not get me wrong its not a statement it is a question.

Regards

Alexander

Good spas that last 15, 18, 20 years very rarely go to the landfill due to frame issues. As long as the wood base is pressure treated it'll be fine for a long time and Caldera has a hard plastic under that bottom frame. I'm not sure what Sunbelt uses because they are rarely discussed on this site. Does anyone know them well enough to comment?

There are multipel frame options out there but they all work. If they didn't the manufacturer would dump the old way. Look for reasons to decide which spa you prefer, don't let salesmen give you their reasons why you shouldn't buy the other dealers brand.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Deltanex

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 01:28:39 pm »
Ok.. I think i have got the idea about the wooden parts. Thanks for setting me straight.

About the warranty ishue however.. In the case of Sunbelt All parts are from very well known manufacturers like Balboa, Aqua-Flo and Waterway. So in case of any problems. I shoeld be able to service it my self. With Caldera this is not the case.(i think)

Are there happy Tahitian users out there that have that model for longer than a year and want to give me some comment on their experiance?

Regards,

Alexander

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 02:44:58 pm »
Ok.. I think i have got the idea about the wooden parts. Thanks for setting me straight.

In the case of Sunbelt All parts are from very well known manufacturers like Balboa, Aqua-Flo and Waterway.

Alexander

Please don't make the mistake of thinking that just because a part is from company XYZ it's as good as any product from company XYZ. Most all companies make many different products, of VARYING qualities (AND price points!). While company XYZ may make the best "whatever" in the world, they may also make another product that does exactly the same thing, but is of such low quality it's the worst in the world....But, it's cheap, and has a highly recognizable name :-)
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 03:17:18 pm »
Hello everyone,

We are currently deciding between a Sunbelt Spa and the Caldera Tahitian. In response to an earlier post i was told that (You bether go for te real deal if the price difference is small) we are now seriously thinking of buying a Caldera Tahitian. However I understand that Caldera still uses wood in its frame and possibly as a base. Can anyone tell me if this is true and could this pose a potential problem in a wet climate?

Regards,

Alexander

Alexander,
There is a LOT of difference between a Sunbelt and a Caldera.  As you read these internet forums more and more you will begin to realize that there is a distinct difference between these two products and therefore they each have a different market value.  The Caldera is made by the same company that makes Hot Springs, Watkins whereas the Sunbelt is made by...well, a MUCH lower end manufacturer who uses fairly common industry parts (i.e. Balboa).  

It's like you are comparing a Lexus to a Scion.  Are they both cars?  Sure . Are they equal?  No.   Does a Scion use the industry-acceptable parts that are used in a majority of cars?  Sure, like GM it uses Delco radios but their use of such industry standard radios does not (by inference) lend any credibility to the Scion line.  The Scion is a "decent" cars and is worth every bit of the $15K that manufacturer is asking for it.  On the other hand, the Lexus GS is also a nice car but it's going to cost you about twice or even three times as much.  Is there a reason it cost more? Certainly, and some people pay it while others are fine with a Scion.  Now, the only problem here is if they were tryign to charge you Lexus prices for a Scion product.  That is what you have with your comparison.  These two products (Caldera vs. Sun Belt) are NOT in the same league and therefore should NOT be priced the same.  However, Hot Tub dealers are a predatory bunch and will try to tell you that they are comparable when in fact, they are not (features, function, quality, warranty, etc).

As far as a wood base goes... Most Mfg's use a wood base (including Sun Belt).  The only mfg that I am familiar with that uses any thing else is Coleman (who uses metal structure).  This may be both good and bad.  The good is that metal doesn't deteriorate like wood "may".  However, metal can rust and rusting makes the joints weaker.  Sure, the metal peices themselves may be galvanized but what about the welds?  Additionally, loose metal can make noise and in the end may not provide you what you are expecting (longer life) and often don't have a warranty to protect you 10 or 12 years down the line.  Now, if they are both wood (SunBelt & Caldera), they may not be the same protections for both.  I've seen a ten year old Sunbelt that simply fell apart when we tried to move it (a friends) and then I've also seen a 10 year old Caldera that we were able to flip on it's side and move it with no problems what-so-ever (Helped a neighbor buy a used one).  So, just being wood vs. wood is like the prior posters stated... it may be a similar material but there is a significant difference in the quality of the materials.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 03:51:10 pm by ndabunka »
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Deltanex

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 04:08:04 pm »
ndabunka Thanks for your comment. I get your point. And because whe just did some investigation into the Dutch dealers and asked them all about their prices we got the price down about 3500 dollars US.

I think it is a lot of difference because the Caldera and Sunbelt we are comparing are now in the same price range only a 750 dollar difference. This is good and makes our choice a lot easyer. However it worries us alwell because The Netherlands is a small country and the difference between the four dealers is as much as 2500 Euro's (about 3750 dollars). Sunbelt however is priced the same everywhere.

It is very good to hear everyone being so possitive about Caldera. We Thank everyone on being so concrete.

The only thing remaining is that we would like to hear some expereance with te Tahitian model.

Regards,

Alexander

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 04:22:27 pm »
ndabunka Thanks for your comment. I get your point. And because whe just did some investigation into the Dutch dealers and asked them all about their prices we got the price down about 3500 dollars US.

I think it is a lot of difference because the Caldera and Sunbelt we are comparing are now in the same price range only a 750 dollar difference. This is good and makes our choice a lot easier. However it worries us as well because The Netherlands is a small country and the difference between the four dealers is as much as 2500 Euro's (about 3750 dollars). Sunbelt however is priced the same everywhere.

It is very good to hear everyone being so possitive about Caldera. We Thank everyone on being so concrete.

The only thing remaining is that we would like to hear some expereance with te Tahitian model.

Regards,

Alexander

Alexander - The Tahitian has been around a while (this is good).  In fact, it was the model I was considering in the Caldera line when I bought my Jacuzzi J-365.  Both were "open seating" with a lounger and similarly priced.  In the end, I bought the Jacuzzi because it was 200 gallons larger and a better/more informed dealer.  It also just happens that the dealer I bought my Jacuzzi from also sold the Sun Belt as their low cost line at the time (Spa Mart here in Charlotte, NC).  The equivalent Sun Belt model was about 30% less expensive than the J-365.  Did you look at the cost of either the Sundance (Cameo) and/or the Jacuzzi equivalents in your market?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 04:27:06 pm by ndabunka »
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Summitman

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 05:18:30 pm »

Alexander,
There is a LOT of difference between a Sunbelt and a Caldera.  As you read these internet forums more and more you will begin to realize that there is a distinct difference between these two products and therefore they each have a different market value.  The Caldera is made by the same company that makes Hot Springs, Watkins whereas the Sunbelt is made by...well, a MUCH lower end manufacturer who uses fairly common industry parts (i.e. Balboa).  

It's like you are comparing a Lexus to a Scion.  Are they both cars?  Sure . Are they equal?  No.   Does a Scion use the industry-acceptable parts that are used in a majority of cars?  Sure, like GM it uses Delco radios but their use of such industry standard radios does not (by inference) lend any credibility to the Scion line.  The Scion is a "decent" cars and is worth every bit of the $15K that manufacturer is asking for it.  On the other hand, the Lexus GS is also a nice car but it's going to cost you about twice or even three times as much.  Is there a reason it cost more? Certainly, and some people pay it while others are fine with a Scion.  Now, the only problem here is if they were tryign to charge you Lexus prices for a Scion product.  That is what you have with your comparison.  These two products (Caldera vs. Sun Belt) are NOT in the same league and therefore should NOT be priced the same.  However, Hot Tub dealers are a predatory bunch and will try to tell you that they are comparable when in fact, they are not (features, function, quality, warranty, etc).

As far as a wood base goes... Most Mfg's use a wood base (including Sun Belt).  The only mfg that I am familiar with that uses any thing else is Coleman (who uses metal structure).  This may be both good and bad.  The good is that metal doesn't deteriorate like wood "may".  However, metal can rust and rusting makes the joints weaker.  Sure, the metal peices themselves may be galvanized but what about the welds?  Additionally, loose metal can make noise and in the end may not provide you what you are expecting (longer life) and often don't have a warranty to protect you 10 or 12 years down the line.  Now, if they are both wood (SunBelt & Caldera), they may not be the same protections for both.  I've seen a ten year old Sunbelt that simply fell apart when we tried to move it (a friends) and then I've also seen a 10 year old Caldera that we were able to flip on it's side and move it with no problems what-so-ever (Helped a neighbor buy a used one).  So, just being wood vs. wood is like the prior posters stated... it may be a similar material but there is a significant difference in the quality of the materials.

Actually a lot of manufacturers are going to a "abs" base that is better than a wood or foam floor.  It seals out the spa and keeps the moisture, rodents, and bugs out of your spa.  Its definetely nice feature.  Arctic Spas actually uses a fiberglass floor that seals all of those things out and fully supports the spa so their is no need for a concrete or wood deck for support.

wewannahottub

• Time for your Sponge Bath!
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 07:03:22 pm »
Hi all!

SInce we are on the subjects of Calderas, I have a question.  When on the website, it seems ONLY the Aquatic Melodies series has the only 2 models available with a stereo.  Which, IMO, doesn't leave much options on other models, and you are limited to just those 2.  Can a Caldera dealer/rep please verify or clarify for me??  I wold be interested in the Niagara.  

Still looking at J470 and Arctic Tundra and Dynasty Caspian 55, yet...(and if an Artesian dealer pops up in the area, them too!!)

Thanks all!!

PS--Good luck Deltanex---this s**t gets overwhelming!!

Chrisi
WWHT
The grass is greener on the other side because the bulls**t is better...

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 08:22:02 pm »
Chrisi,
Have you looked at Sundance? I have liked Jacuzzi and Sundance the best so far.

Scott  ::)
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

wewannahottub

• Time for your Sponge Bath!
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 08:28:27 pm »
Chrisi,
Have you looked at Sundance? I have liked Jacuzzi and Sundance the best so far.

Scott  ::)

We did, and didn't care much for them.  My hubby was too broad-ahouldered for those.  We almost wet-tested the Maxxus, but didn't since we weren' interested.

We may take a trip tomorrow and check out the JQZ j470 and re-evaluate looking at Caldera.  That is why I was hoping a Caldera rep would reply about the stereos (are they ONLY available on the Aquatic Melodies??)  I am waiting to hear from our Arctic dealer as well, to see if they have a Tundra.  

I'll let you know what occurs.

PS  we also looked at Cal spa, they had an AWESOME model (don't ask which one, I can't remember)  but again, hubby didn't fit right in the seats.  

There is a PDC spa dealer in the area but that is a brand I haven't seen mentioned on the forum.  Anyone with thoughts/concerns???

Thanks--

Chrisi
The grass is greener on the other side because the bulls**t is better...

RK23

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 08:52:03 pm »
Hi Chrisi,

I'm not a Caldera dealer, just a customer.  I bought a Niagara four months ago, and as far as I know, the only way to get a stereo from the factory in a Caldera is by ordering one of the Aquatic Melodies spas.  And as you have found out, there is not currently an AM version of the Niagara.  The Aspire is the AM version of the Hawaiian, with a couple of upgrades from the Hawaiian (aux control panel and spa-glo lighting).  This is a somewhat similar design to the Niagara, but slightly smaller and without the mini-lounge/foot jets.

-Russ

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 08:52:03 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42