What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How far is too far?  (Read 8870 times)

Tailhooker

How far is too far?
« on: March 16, 2008, 05:32:36 pm »
How far away can someone safely or realistically go away from there home to purchase a spa?  At what cost: increased fees for service visits.  There is a Marquis dealer in Houston and that is about 230 miles away from where I am.  Is the thought of putting Marquis on my "list" even feasible or should I just say forget it.  Experts / Dealers / regular guys and gals your thoughts!

Hot Tub Forum

How far is too far?
« on: March 16, 2008, 05:32:36 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: How far is too far?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 06:08:53 pm »
I would call the dealer and see what they say.

If it was in the NYC area and there were 2 other dealers closer the dealer may say forget it. If it's the only dealer around that sell Marquis then they might sell and service it.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 06:35:13 pm »
Here is the real deal. If they have a really great buy on something, than it would be worth it. Just to go and look and maybe find something...I would say no....For service the manufacture is who is backing your spa, Yes the selling dealer should service it but in your case you have no local dealer so the maker would pay a local service tech on your behave. Trip or Travel fees excluded.

Where most makers have issues is an outside dealer low balling someone just make a quick sale and than expecting the local dealer to handles all service issues. Small dealers are generally smaller Mom and Pop type stores and some offer very few display spas and sell on a order basis only with next to nothing show rooms. It is not hard to see that they have very little over head compared to someone who is showing 10, 12 or more spas and are a full retailer. Like so many Internet sellers of varying items who really are nothing more than order takers and as such almost anything they make is all profit.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 06:41:50 pm by Mendocino101 »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 07:09:28 pm »
Well, I had a customer fly in from Rome Italy a couple months ago to look at a hot tub.............. I'll be leaving for 8 days the end of this month to go help him  install it  :D
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 07:44:44 pm »
Here is the real deal. If they have a really great buy on something, than it would be worth it. Just to go and look and maybe find something...I would say no....For service the manufacture is who is backing your spa, Yes the selling dealer should service it but in your case you have no local dealer so the maker would pay a local service tech on your behave. Trip or Travel fees excluded.

Where most makers have issues is an outside dealer low balling someone just make a quick sale and than expecting the local dealer to handles all service issues. Small dealers are generally smaller Mom and Pop type stores and some offer very few display spas and sell on a order basis only with next to nothing show rooms. It is not hard to see that they have very little over head compared to someone who is showing 10, 12 or more spas and are a full retailer. Like so many Internet sellers of varying items who really are nothing more than order takers and as such almost anything they make is all profit.

If a dealer's territory is large area, which I would guess in less populated areas it might be, isn't it possible that they would travel a large distance vs a dealer in a populated area? I can't see someone in California or New York City traveling that distance but I could see that if someone lived in Upstate NY or in Utah ... I always imagine that the less populated the area the less of everything else there is.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 10:08:39 pm »
Vinny,

That is correct and a good local dealer would maybe already have arrangements made with a local tech who is located in those far reaching outline areas with the factory's knowledge and blessing I am sure. If you live in the sticks so to speak I am sure driving for certain products is just what you do and understanding the service issues are just part of living where you live.

Tailhooker

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 11:09:11 pm »
Vinny,

That is correct and a good local dealer would maybe already have arrangements made with a local tech who is located in those far reaching outline areas with the factory's knowledge and blessing I am sure. If you live in the sticks so to speak I am sure driving for certain products is just what you do and understanding the service issues are just part of living where you live.
Corpus Christi is a decent sized city, but Houston is the closest Marqius dealer.  I am intrigued by the Epic model.  Just worried about the distance, I'll see if they service this far.  Have HS, D1, Jaccuzzi, ~Sundance, Caldera too.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 11:36:57 pm »
If you were going to make a trip for a spa the Epic is the one that's worth it. Corpus Christi is not in the sticks but still might not have all the different dealers that a larger city would. Really If you want to make the drive before doing so find out if the dealer knows or would find your a local tech before your purchase. I am sure as a factory Marquis has spas that are in homes in your area and they probably already have a tech who provides the service. It is an issue that can be worked with just address it before you buy if you find it is the right spa for you.

Vanguard

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 01:26:16 am »
How far away can someone safely or realistically go away from there home to purchase a spa?  At what cost: increased fees for service visits.  There is a Marquis dealer in Houston and that is about 230 miles away from where I am.  Is the thought of putting Marquis on my "list" even feasible or should I just say forget it.  Experts / Dealers / regular guys and gals your thoughts!

I'm not aware of a Marquis dealer in Houston.  Who is the dealer there?  I checked their dealer locater and didn't find one on there either.  Just curious who has Marquis in Houston.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Vanguard

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 01:34:53 am »
I just remembered who carries Marquis in Houston.  Weird that Marquis doesn't have them on their locater.  I even put in the dealership's zip code and nothing came up.  

They are a smaller dealership.  Even though they seem to be good people there, I'd be concerned about the drive for service.  The drive from Pearland (Houston suburb) to Corpus Christi is not an easy drive.  I'd think you'd either be paying a lot on trip charges or be waiting long periods to get service.

Your best bet, and this comes from years and years of working in the Great State, is to either buy in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, or even possibly Victoria.  
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 01:36:49 am by aquatub »
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

loosenupspas

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 10:19:14 am »
If the dealer agrees to sell it to you then that is your answer.  I have sold some hot tubs, particularly during home shows, to folks who are two hours away from my store.  When I first opened I sold a Maaxim to a customer in Naples, which is a four hour drive.  

I look at it as an educated risk, Coleman makes a highly reliable hot tub and in reality I should never have to return to service it.  The vast majority of the time I am correct and never see the people again.  

Be up front with them regarding where you live and let the dealer decide.  When I service a hot tub that is within ten miles of my store that work is done within 24 hours.  260 miles away takes more time to arrange for service, that could be the downside to you.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 01:29:13 pm »
loosenup,

That is what I saying address it before you buy so every-one's expectations are the same. Really I think being that far away working with a local tech that Marquis will pay is the way to go. But I would have the dealer set this up for you.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 03:12:26 pm »
I look at it as an educated risk, Coleman makes a highly reliable hot tub and in reality I should never have to return to service it.  The vast majority of the time I am correct and never see the people again.

This is how my experience has been with my MasterSpas LSX.  At the time of my purchase and install (July, 2004), there was only 1 MS dealer in Florida...in the Tampa/St. Pete area...about 250 miles from me.  When I asked about possible service calls, the dealer was very upfront and said that he would make arrangements with a local tech to install/repair any parts that he would ship overnight.  As it turned out, I've never had a service call and, subsequently, a local spa dealer in Tallahassee added the MS line about a year after my purchase and has been very willing to support me should it be necessary.  So, in my case, I took a chance to get what I felt was the best spa for me from a non-local dealer and, so far, it has paid off.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Tailhooker

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 10:49:29 am »

This is how my experience has been with my MasterSpas LSX.  At the time of my purchase and install (July, 2004), there was only 1 MS dealer in Florida...in the Tampa/St. Pete area...about 250 miles from me.  When I asked about possible service calls, the dealer was very upfront and said that he would make arrangements with a local tech to install/repair any parts that he would ship overnight.  As it turned out, I've never had a service call and, subsequently, a local spa dealer in Tallahassee added the MS line about a year after my purchase and has been very willing to support me should it be necessary.  So, in my case, I took a chance to get what I felt was the best spa for me from a non-local dealer and, so far, it has paid off.
I'll at least check it out.  Worst that can happen is that they can't service that far, or the costs will be too high.  From all that I have heard the Epic is a tempting hot tub.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 10:50:44 am by Tailhooker »

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 11:20:25 am »
I'll at least check it out.  Worst that can happen is that they can't service that far, or the costs will be too high.  From all that I have heard the Epic is a tempting hot tub.
Good plan.  Make sure you wet test and let your impressions from that be the first consideration.  If you found the Epic to be for you what the LSX is for me, then I would suggest taking the chance with the remote dealer.  No way I would have bought from a remote dealer without wet testing and being favorably impressed with the tub.  Good luck!
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 11:20:25 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42