What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cleaning vs. replacing filters.  (Read 2661 times)

tinybubbles

Cleaning vs. replacing filters.
« on: March 14, 2008, 10:12:26 am »
I know several people with spas who kinda brag about how long their filters last.  I went into spa ownership assuming that I would keep my filters for years.  I've had my spa for about 6 months.  I just purchased a new set of filters for the purpose of rotating them.  When I took the old ones out and looked at them next to the new ones, I was shocked.  They look very dirty even after cleaning them.  They have a greyish tint.  I put the new ones in and was shocked by the difference.  I keep a scumball in my spa and it's now sucked into the filter compartment (which is fine), but with the old filters in this didn't happen.  I'm going to throw the old ones out now and just purchase new ones every 6 months or so.  We use our spa every day for atleast an hour.  Could this be the reason that my filters didn't seem to last?  Any ideas on why they have the grey coloration?  Should I just accept that the old ones won't perform like the new ones and keep them in rotation?  I think I read here that if they float they are still ok.  Float as in don't sink to the bottom or float almost completely on top of the water?  My old ones still float but they are almost completely under water, unlike the new ones.  I'd love filter advice.  Thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

Cleaning vs. replacing filters.
« on: March 14, 2008, 10:12:26 am »

Vanguard

Re: Cleaning vs. replacing filters.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 10:15:49 am »
How often do you clean your filters?  If you truly are in your spa an hour a day every day, then you should probably be cleaning your filters at least two times a month.  And, you should really be using a filter cleaner when you do.

You won't necessarily get sparkling white filters by doing this, but you also won't have to buy new ones every six months.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 11:30:07 am »
I keep two filters and swap them monthly so I clean one while the other is is use.  I use a filter cleaning solution and soak overnight, then rinse and store.  My first "set" lasted three years before I replaced them.  My filter media looks as white as a new set, even at the three year mark.  I found the plastic ends started to degrade before the pleats.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 12:16:34 pm »
I had a lady come in last week who was completely flabbergasted because she was going to have to spend $105 on new filters for her HotSpring Prodigy.  I asked how old her existing filters were and she said that they came with the spa when she bought it in 1996.

Our customers are so spoiled.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 12:30:35 pm »
Filters are designed to have water flow through them, and remove particles from the water. The filters becoming stained, or discolored, has little bearing on their ability to filter the water effectively. How well water flows through them is what's important. When you take something thats pure white, and expose it to dirt, filth and grime, IT'S GOING TO GET STAINED. So what? It still filters just fine. In fact, most filter manufacturers will tell you a filter will work better when slightly dirty. You could soak the filter in bleach to bleach out the staining. BUT, the bleach will also break down the fabric the filter is made of, reducing it's life. But then, at least it will "look" clean and you might feel better.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 05:10:48 pm »

Our customers are so oblivious.

Terminator

No kidding!  ;D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 05:10:48 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42