What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Well crap, I went and broke a tri-x filter  (Read 6096 times)

Brookenstein

Well crap, I went and broke a tri-x filter
« on: February 28, 2008, 09:15:48 pm »
So... I saw a leaf between the pleats and instead of turning on the hose and blowing it out... I decided to stuff my fingers in there and pull it out.  Not such a good idea. I heard a crack and sure enough I've got a tear.  How bad is this? Do I need to replace it?  Can I put a waterproof band-aid on it?   :)

Hot Tub Forum

Well crap, I went and broke a tri-x filter
« on: February 28, 2008, 09:15:48 pm »

Vanguard

Re: Well crap, I went and broke a tri-x filter
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 09:57:16 am »
That is the first time I've heard that a finger cracked a Tri-X.  You must have very strong fingers.  Those filters are tough to break.

You'll probably need to go ahead and replace it.  I can't think of any band-aids for the filters.  Depending on how big the crack is, is how quickly you'd want to replace it.  If the crack is small, you can do it in time.  If the crack is big, I'd probably go ahead and do it.  Either way, I'd eventually get it replaced.  You're probably talking around $70 to replace it - although I know of one dealer that gets $100 for them.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 09:58:52 am by aquatub »
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

96SC

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 10:15:35 am »
Brooke,

When I read the title of your post, my heart went out to you.  Them's ain't cheap.  If you get desperate to replace it, put a jar and a picture of the broken filter in the local 'Quickie Mart' for donations. :'(
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 11:57:07 am »
How often would you typically replace the tri-x filters anyway?If it was near it's life span, buying a new one isn't as bad. Are they the original ones that you got with your tub Brooke?..
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Brookenstein

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 12:26:50 pm »
If I'm not mistaken they last about 10 years or at least 5.  Mine are  probably 2.5 or so... not exactly sure how long they were in use before I got the tub but it was minimal.  Now, I must say i have six filters... 5 are the same and one is slightly different.  It is this different one that cracked.  This different one has one has warn much differently than the others.  Not sure what the dealio with that is.  But it is like pealing on the top and looks nasty and weird where as the others all look brand new.  Maybe i somehow got a factory reject, lol.  Someday I'll take a pic and share.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 12:35:30 pm »
Or maybe the first owner replaced a damaged filter with a knock off filter...Wow that is impressive filters that last for 10 years..I guess they would have to be very well made to survive the dishwasher...good luck..if you are desperate (and the experts can correct me). I think you might be able to use aquarium adhesive to patch that hole until you can get a new filter. Otherwise, I would think the filter would continue to tear with use. You will have to let the aquarium adhesive cure for at least 24 hours. I know they use a similar (if not identical) product to plug holes in HEPA air filters...and I use that stuff for everything.  ;)

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 01:40:02 pm »
I've heard from several people that they have a problem getting down into the pleats to clean them because of the shape and they are worried about that...

I would think you can't fix it and just need to replace but here is an idea...some of the weed spray tanks are flexible tube and connect to the tank with a hose bib type fitting. You might be able to buy one of those (the whole tank shouldn't be more then $15) and clean between the pleats next time.

Brookenstein

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 01:51:33 pm »
I'm sure I probably should replace it and eventually I will, but with J being on dissability right now... and money at a premium a $70 filter isn't gonna happen.  I'll put on my one spare for the time being.

Vanguard

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 03:33:34 pm »
If I'm not mistaken they last about 10 years or at least 5.  Mine are  probably 2.5 or so... not exactly sure how long they were in use before I got the tub but it was minimal.  Now, I must say i have six filters... 5 are the same and one is slightly different.  It is this different one that cracked.  This different one has one has warn much differently than the others.  Not sure what the dealio with that is.  But it is like pealing on the top and looks nasty and weird where as the others all look brand new.  Maybe i somehow got a factory reject, lol.  Someday I'll take a pic and share.

First, there is no data on how long they'll last.  They've only been around since about 2005.  So, in 2015, we'll know if they really last ten years.  I know Watkins is very careful not to state how long they'll last.

There have been a couple of different Tri-X filters that have come out.  The pleats are pretty much the same, but the ends are different.  If I can remember, the older ones are a lighter blue and the newer ones have a darker blue end to them.  One of the Hot Spring dealers may be able to verify that.

There are no "knock-off" Tri-X filters.  These are a Watkins exclusive.  From my understanding, they helped develop the technology, thus, they have rights to it for a certain amount of time

Your factory reject idea is probably close to the mark if it is the older filter.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 10:29:38 pm »
I'm sure I probably should replace it and eventually I will, but with J being on dissability right now... and money at a premium a $70 filter isn't gonna happen.  I'll put on my one spare for the time being.

If the crack is in an area you can get to it I'd try to use epoxy or silicone to fill the crack. It's worth a shot.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 11:28:36 pm »
The aquarium adhesive is a silicone based material and it is really pretty strong, I think it would work.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 11:28:36 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42