What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Purchased new D1 lotus tub  (Read 5192 times)

Scott

Purchased new D1 lotus tub
« on: February 18, 2008, 07:28:21 pm »
Search has finally ended after mega wet testing and looking around at many name brands as well as other tubs not as well rated here in this forum. Here is my dilemma, I was asked where I intend to have this tub delivered and what type of surface will it be placed on. It is being installed on brick pavers placed down 3 years ago and the dealer asked if I was pulling a permit. I asked why and he said the new code states that some barrier needs to be put down per new code. My question is why should I worry about getting a permit as it my house and when I decide to move the tub comes with me. This is B.S. and I ask you the experts your opinion. Can't wait to get in the tub and put this 4 month ordeal behind me and don't need anymore hassles of outside people messing with me. Thanks for all your input and advice over the last 4 months.

Scott ::)

Hot Tub Forum

Purchased new D1 lotus tub
« on: February 18, 2008, 07:28:21 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Purchased new D1 lotus tub
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 07:57:25 pm »
Sorry to say that the codes are the codes. Is it a barrier or is it that the pad needs to be gounded? Barrier may be the locking cover.

You can go without a licensed whatever and get away with it as long as nobody turns you in. Townships can and do enforce the codes if need be. I have a friend that had a blow up pool and the township told him he was breaking a couple of codes and take it down. My township stopped a homeowner from selling his house because he didn't get a permit for his above ground pool.

The reason for the codes is to put some common sense or safety where people may lack it even if the code is a little strange. They are there to protect you and others just in case a situation happens. I have a fenced in yard and my above ground pool needed a self closing, locakable gate for the ladder. The logic being that if a toddler walks into my yard they can't get into the pool and drown ... then again there are older pools in my neghborhood with no such safety features. Codes changed and I had to comply.

Scott

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 08:20:29 pm »
Vinnie,
Thanks for your reply. I am an advocate of most codes as they are there for specific reasons and protection. What I have issue with is how certain code officials take it upon themselves to interpret  these codes then give their take on it. What I am struggling with is what protection am I going to get if I rip up all the work I did to place some type of barrier to the tune of $600 dollars. Not counting the time I lost on delivery? Once again thanks!  :-X

Scott

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 08:21:11 pm »
Congratulations Scott! That's such an awesome spa. 8-)

Can you please elaborate on what exactly the dealer said about this barrier??
As far as I know, as long as your spa has a locking cover and is not located near a drop off of over 30 inches, nothing else is needed. Was he saying that something has to be placed between the spa bottom and the patio? Is your 220v running on top of your patio and that's what he wants buried? I'm very curious as to what codes are being violated here in case you can't tell.  ::)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 08:31:05 pm by WHY_NOT »

Scott

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 08:33:54 pm »
Chad,
The code I was told was that any new tub placed over brick pavers must meet with the new code and the brick pavers have to be ripped up and a barrier placed down. I was told it was a $6-700 dollar issue pertaining to electrical codes. What frustrates me as I want to get this tub tis weekend and forget about all this but I also don't need to worry about the issues of what will happen shall I decide to ignore all of this crap. ::)

In Canada eh

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 08:41:52 pm »
Scott,

Congrats on the new tub!  D1 is one of the best out there.

I'm confused on what constitutes a barrier,  does your local township want you to put down concrete or is it some type of insulating material between the pavers and the tub.  I have never heard of anything like this before
Bullfrog 451

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 08:51:58 pm »
What type a barrier needs to be put down under the pavers?

If it's something that can't be seen without taking up the pavers, why not just call him back in a few days and tell him you fixed it. When in reality, you didn't do a thing. :)
Unless he's a county inspector and/or it will void the manufacturers warranty for your spa, just tell him to deliver it and then go climb a tree or fly a kite. Which ever he prefers. Or maybe he thinks that he can be liable for something?? If that's the case, tell him you'll sign a written document that gives him no affilation with the code violation.

I totally agree with you Scott, this sounds a bit ridiculous.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 08:55:34 pm by WHY_NOT »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 10:07:17 pm »
About a year ago there was a discussion about putting a grounding plate or grid of some sort under a tub. It is a new NEC code that was introduced ... maybe this is it.

Pathfinder

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 12:49:08 am »
Best way to find out is call your local planning dept. and find out what is required. You will have a locking cover so you wont need a barrier/fence that is usually stated in a permit app.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 12:49:26 am by Pathfinder »

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 01:25:43 am »
he said the new code states that some barrier needs to be put down per new code.
It's now a law in your state for pool and spa dealers to inform their customers about the Barrier Code. However.....

That code does not apply to portable spas that have a locking safety cover.

So you're in the clear!  See for yourself(notice the exemptions in both links)-

http://www.townshipofdover.com/permits/poolreq.pdf

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/pool.pdf

Show this to your dealer and tell him to deliver your spa. You might also want to tell him to brush up on his knoweldge with code requirements before he has all his customers building Fort Knox around their spas. 

Here we were all thinking it had something to do with an improper foundation. :-[

I'm sorry your dealer brought all this unnecessary stress upon you.  It's not a good way to start a relationship but hopefully he'll realize his ignorance and apologize.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 08:35:58 am by WHY_NOT »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 07:45:43 am »
When I went for the permit to build the deck and put the spa on it the township engineer looking at my plans had a problem with the spa being so close to my house. I informed her that it is a spa not a pool and the Boca codes had nothing in them about the spa being so far away from a structure. She really didn't have a clue and luckily her boss (I guess the chief township engineer) was there and when she asked him I remember him saying that it's a spa not a pool and to pass the plans.

Even the engineers don't know things at times.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 11:36:05 am »
There comes a time in the history of every project that you should kill the engineers and finally beguin production!

rick_in_cleveland

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 03:14:10 pm »
When I put in my hot tub 4 years ago I pulled my permit for the electrical installation but needed a special "spa permit" for $35.  It had no requirements just a $35 charge.  The city is in need of money so they added it to the list of permits.....if fact if you change washers in a faucet you are suppose to get a permit   As funding goes down for cities permit requirements go up

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 04:44:39 pm »
When I put in my hot tub 4 years ago I pulled my permit for the electrical installation but needed a special "spa permit" for $35.  It had no requirements just a $35 charge.  The city is in need of money so they added it to the list of permits.....if fact if you change washers in a faucet you are suppose to get a permit   As funding goes down for cities permit requirements go up

Sounds like Columbus,  They are installing new parking meters with sensors, so if you put in enough money for an hour, but leave before the hour is up, it automatically goes back to zero so that the next person doesn't get the time you paid for.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Scott

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 07:03:29 pm »
Chad,Vinnie et al, Thanks for your advice,information, and all you have contributed to my search. The NJ info was helpful. This forum has been instrumental in my decision making as I would never have chosen the right tub had I not wet tested it. Anyone who buys these things on impulse or sitting them dry really would be in for an eye opener as I was. Granted there were other tubs that i wanted to wet test and they were not available but the D1 Lotus sold me and I am ready. Once again guys thanks.
Scott  8-)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 07:03:29 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42