What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: must I?  (Read 3064 times)

The_Pa._Lady

must I?
« on: February 09, 2008, 11:25:38 pm »

just wondering if you most knowlegable people can tell me.  If one hasn't used the hot tub for a few weeks, does one still have to super chlorinate before going in?  

I would think that if nobody used the tub, there should not be any bacteria present.  Would it be OK to just bring the chlorine up to where it should be, and make sure all other readings are OK before going in?

Hot Tub Forum

must I?
« on: February 09, 2008, 11:25:38 pm »

Webini

Re: must I?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 11:38:50 pm »
Water + heat + time = bacteria.  Shock the tub!

Vanguard

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 01:36:42 am »
I travel.  So, sometimes I go for a couple of weeks without getting in my spa.  I have silver cartridges and ozone running when I'm not home.  As long as I took care of the water before I left, I come home to clean, pristine water.  I've never had a problem getting in.  Not to say that you won't, but I do believe since I shocked after the last use, and had it running 24/7 - as all Hot Spring Spas do - that is why I never had an issue.

Go for it.  If you get a rash, then you'll know you need to shock it next time. ;)
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 05:17:12 am »
just wondering if you most knowlegable people can tell me.  If one hasn't used the hot tub for a few weeks, does one still have to super chlorinate before going in?  

I would think that if nobody used the tub, there should not be any bacteria present.  Would it be OK to just bring the chlorine up to where it should be, and make sure all other readings are OK before going in?

How long has it been since you put in any dichlor and do you have ozone and/or a mineral cartridge?

You could just add your normal post soak dose, run pumps for 5-10 minutes, and then test to see if you still have a residual. If you do, chances are you don't have anything major growing in there. If nothing registers 10 minutes after that 3-5 ppm dose, something is in there and you'll have to keep adding more until a residual of FC can be maintained. Only then will you be certain that you're entering a safe tub.

If your soaking is rather irregular like that and you don't have a mineral cartidge, I'd get one. Also, if you don't have a 24 hour circ, it might be wise to up your programmed filtration cycles. But the best thing to do even when you're not soaking that frequently, would be to go out there every other day or so and drop in a little dichlor. If this schedule is more of a permanent lifestyle, you might also consider switching to bromine.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 08:34:40 am »
Clear water does not equal clean water.

Bacteria is air born as well as contact. Spas aren't 100% sealed against the infiltration of air.

Since you see clear water, that's great. Like Chad said, I would use about 5 PPM chlorine and see if your dose didn't go to 0 in 20 minutes. If you still have a residue in that 20 minutes then I would think it's safe.

Consider yourself lucky to be able to leave the tub for that long ... I can get by for about a week with clear water if I shock the tub hard. Normally I get 2 days tops.

The_Pa._Lady

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 02:42:07 pm »

Thanks for everyone's advice.  I appreciate it!!

I have a Hot Springs tub, it filters 24/7, and I have the ozone, I do think that helps.  I did put some dichlor in a week ago.  I will take the advice and chlorinate just to be sure.

Would you please tell me:   When I just add some dichlor, but not enough to super chlorinate, should I still open the cover, or is it OK to open it half way since I am not using a lot of dichlor?  
And what exactly should the chlorine reading be before going in?

thank so much.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 03:00:59 pm »
In the winter I do not keep my cover open during post soak dosing. Only when I dose with high amounts of dichlor or superchlorinating, do I keep the cover opened up.

I beleive the EPA says not to enter your spa without atleast a 3ppm of FC present. However if you follow the Vermonter Method, you can safely soak with lower levels present.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 03:06:55 pm by WHY_NOT »

The_Pa._Lady

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 05:35:32 pm »

Thank's Chad.   That answered my questions.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 09:44:16 am »
The idea of shocking just prior to use is a bad one. Make sure you have a safe residual prior to getting in but shocking should be done after use.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 09:44:16 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42