What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Is it in your manual?  (Read 3884 times)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Is it in your manual?
« on: February 08, 2008, 01:55:17 pm »
I just got a diverter replaced.  I remember when my tub was new, I had a handle pop off when I tried to move the diverter with the pump going. The dealer fixed it, but told me it says in the manaul not to move the diverter with the pumps running.  I took him at his word and never did it again.  But after this week, I went through the manual and that comment is no where to be found.  My other diverter is connected to a 2 speed pump and I will frequently move that one when the pump is on low.  Given how hard they are to move with the pumps running, It seems like a good idea to not move them and I have no problem turning the pump off, moving it, and turning it back on.

Does it say anything like that in your manual?  Any comments from the techs?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

Is it in your manual?
« on: February 08, 2008, 01:55:17 pm »

Pathfinder

Re: Is it in your manual?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 02:28:41 pm »
I havent seen that in a manual anywhere. You should be able to move diverters when the pumps are on. How else would you perfect the right amount of flow that you want going to your seat, especially if a tub is designed to work on a diverter system.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 02:43:15 pm »
Diverters will always work better when water is not flowing through...I've gone completely through your manual and see nothing explaining this even in the section that describes the diverter or in troubleshooting.

So the answer is NO the manual says nothing about it but as to whether it will turn easier with water off..YES

What I did was to take a piece of 1.25 PVC, glue some scotchbright (scouring pad) around the bottom of it with 777 glue and a few times a year I pop out my diverter valves and clean them with it. Mine turn fine with or without pumps on.

another issue is that some of the smaller manufactures have purchased aftermarket valves from overseas....Many of these are not PVP but just plastic. Even worse some are manufactured with a lead process that allows them to pit easier.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 02:54:07 pm »
Jacuzzi manual says?

Selecting Desired Massage Action

Your "Jacuzzi"spa is equipped to allow you to customize the massage action you desire. Each model incorporates
a massage selector that allows you to customize the massage and performance by diverting water between
various jet systems. Simply turn massage selector to position A (combo), B or C to divert water pressure to various
jet groups.

Note; This valve is intended to operate in positions A (combo) B and C for optimum performance.
It is considered normal for sound levels within the valve to vary between positions due to the large amounts of water
flowing through it! For optimal filtration benefits leave the valve in position A when spa is covered. Select position B or C for maximum jet performance during spa use.

So I guess in English,  Its ok to move when pumps are on.   :)

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 04:39:19 pm »
It's OK to move it while the pumps are on, it's just easier to move and easier on the diverter when they're not on.

I don't think it was in any of the manuals of the companies I worked for... it's just something I always suggested in turning the pumps off first.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 04:48:54 pm »
I cut and pasted the entire HotSpring Owner's Manual below:

HotSpring Owner's Manual

1.  Set it
2.  Forget it
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 04:49:14 pm by East_TX_Spa »
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 05:37:22 pm »
My pumps are I think 4.6hp? (7bhp) and there is one pump for each diverter. On high the effort to move them might put more torque on the handles than what they are designed for.   I will definitely baby them wiht one more month to go on the warranty.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

rick_in_cleveland

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 06:41:02 pm »
I have cracked the handle a couple of times on my Reward when turning the handle with the pumps running.   The last time I tried to repair it with super glue which worked for a few weeks but then broke again.  My dealer sent me a new handle and diverting valve 2 weeks ago to replace the whole thing...cost only $39 as its out of warranty.  I had foot surgery and am in a non-weight bearing cast for a couple more weeks so I guess I won't be able to see how the new improved valve works.  Supposedly its teflon so it turns easier

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 07:44:24 pm »
I have cracked the handle a couple of times on my Reward when turning the handle with the pumps running.   The last time I tried to repair it with super glue which worked for a few weeks but then broke again.  My dealer sent me a new handle and diverting valve 2 weeks ago to replace the whole thing...cost only $39 as its out of warranty.  I had foot surgery and am in a non-weight bearing cast for a couple more weeks so I guess I won't be able to see how the new improved valve works.  Supposedly its teflon so it turns easier
Rick I would advise my trick for cleaning your diverter...the old one has rubber "O"rings that allow debris to get trapped in addition to less clearance. Chances are you've scored the walls of the diverter housing and need to clean it up a bit so that you don't ruin the new valve.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 07:47:08 pm »
My pumps are I think 4.6hp? (7bhp) and there is one pump for each diverter. On high the effort to move them might put more torque on the handles than what they are designed for.   I will definitely baby them wiht one more month to go on the warranty.
Bill,
Chances are the numbers are a bit "fudged" on the HP and the 4.6 is closer to the BHP. Unless your running that on a 75 amp breaker the math wouldn't work.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 11:42:13 pm »

Bill, are you sure your pumps are 4.6/7bhp? Sounds very high to me. If so, your electrical panel must spin like a top....
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

rick_in_cleveland

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2008, 03:18:42 pm »
Stuart

Should I just wipe out the diverter or is there a special way to do it.   Is it true the new teflon rings should be better...I believe this is the third change in the way the valves are made

Thanks

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2008, 04:31:43 pm »

Bill, are you sure your pumps are 4.6/7bhp? Sounds very high to me. If so, your electrical panel must spin like a top....
I think they are waterways pumps and they are labeled 7bhp, which is how Dynasty marketed them.  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2008, 04:31:43 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42