What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: I think I found my problem....  (Read 5868 times)

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
I think I found my problem....
« on: February 04, 2008, 12:56:51 pm »
....atleast I hope so.
I thought I'd start a new thread as this is pretty interesting. I didn't have time to refill yesterday but I'm currently draining as I type. I removed my N2 cartridge and discovered a problem with the beads inside. The top half of the beads are clumped together and seem to be disenagrating! Could this disenagration be the cause of my spots? I cut open the cartridge and this is what I found -

Hot Tub Forum

I think I found my problem....
« on: February 04, 2008, 12:56:51 pm »

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
Re: I think I found my problem....
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 01:10:50 pm »
Here are some better pictures of the disenagration -

tinybubbles

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 01:39:24 pm »
Chad, do you use dichlor in your spa?  The N2 beads will fuse together over time as they breakdown, especially with the use of dichlor.  Mine only did it on the top as well, I'm assuming more water flows through that area.  I flipped mine over, because I'm a few weeks shy of the 4 month mark.  I checked with my dealer and they said this is normal.  I don't have any spots in my tub.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 01:39:44 pm by tinybubbles »

tinybubbles

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 01:44:53 pm »
Chad, have you scraped off any of the spots and taken them into your dealer or a supply store to see if they can analyze them?  Are they attached to the walls of your spa or just sitting on the bottom?  If it's some kind of a black algae, then it's ALOT of work to get rid of it, almost impossible. It seems like the people that tested your water could let you know if they are some kind of metal or not.  

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 01:48:18 pm »
Chad, do you use dichlor in your spa?  The N2 beads will fuse together over time as they breakdown, especially with the use of dichlor.  Mine only did it on the top as well, I'm assuming more water flows through that area.  I flipped mine over, because I'm a few weeks shy of the 4 month mark.  I checked with my dealer and they said this is normal.  I don't have any spots in my tub.

Yup, that "clumping" of the N2 is very typical.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 03:00:22 pm »
Thanks guys. So they're suppose to get smaller like that??

Tiny, I just spent an hour and a half vigorously scrubbing and scrapping(with my fingernail) my shell in order to remove all the spots. There had to be close to a thousand pin tip sized spots. I was only seeing the bigger ones when it was filled.  They were the exact same color as rust and the majority of them were on horizontal surfaces. I'd say 5/1.

Btw, the spots don't smear, they flake off
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 03:04:57 pm by WHY_NOT »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 03:01:12 pm »
I was afraid you were going to say that your N2 cartridge opened by itself.

Be aware that they can do this if you forget they are there and leave them for five years or so. I have had a handful of people do this - we put the cart in at delivery of the spa, and they never replaced it. Five years later they started to open up.

I don't consider this a problem with the cartridges or N2, but I like to bring it up now and then to keep people from having the same problem.

In the public service...

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

tinybubbles

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 03:42:59 pm »
If it's black algae, it's not uncommon or unusual that it came back.  Black algae does have to be scraped off.  Can you smear it if you try?  It's very resistant to treatment.  You could try lowering your ph to the 7.0 to 7.2 range, then get a chlorine tablet and try to scrape or rub off the spots with that.  Black algae has a covering that makes it hard to penetrate with chemicals added to the water.  Each spot needs to be scraped.  Then shock.  The pictures definately look like they are "growths" attached to the spa and growing out from it.  Black algae is usually larger than your picture, unless it's just starting.  
Yes, the beads are supposed to get smaller.  They are designed to dissolve slowly into the water.  When adding dichlor or shocking with it, they can dissolve faster.  When they are soft and mushy they clump together.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 03:46:09 pm by tinybubbles »

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 04:06:08 pm »
If it's black algae, it's not uncommon or unusual that it came back.  Black algae does have to be scraped off.  Can you smear it if you try?  It's very resistant to treatment.  You could try lowering your ph to the 7.0 to 7.2 range, then get a chlorine tablet and try to scrape or rub off the spots with that.  Black algae has a covering that makes it hard to penetrate with chemicals added to the water.  Each spot needs to be scraped.  Then shock.  The pictures definately look like they are "growths" attached to the spa and growing out from it.  Black algae is usually larger than your picture, unless it's just starting.  
Yes, the beads are supposed to get smaller.  They are designed to dissolve slowly into the water.  When adding dichlor or shocking with it, they can dissolve faster.  When they are soft and mushy they clump together.
The spots can't be smeared.

Isn't black algae black? My spots are the exact same color as rust.

My tub is now filled and is heating. I added a bottle of Metal Gon and did not install a N2. If they come back, I'm selling my tub. Ok that was a joke but if they do, I'm calling in a pool and spa water chemistry expert to check it out in person. I'll pay whatever they want.

Btw, if it is/was an algae or bacteria growth, why would the spots only be in certain places(at or around my ozone port) on my shell? And why haven't I had any skin irratations or any abnormal dichlor demand?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 04:26:06 pm by WHY_NOT »

tinybubbles

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 04:59:36 pm »
Sorry, I skim over things when I read.  I didn't notice they are only around your ozonator.  It would certainly make you assume that the ozone is reacting with something.  If it's something coming out of the ozonator I would think they would settle to the bottom, not float to the sides and stick.  These look like they are growing out of the shell in the pictures.  Is that accurate?  Just makes me think something is attached there and growing. Could it be that there is more oxygen in that area so they thrive?  This is baffling.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 09:57:12 pm »
I'm calling in a pool and spa water chemistry expert to check it out in person. I'll pay whatever they want.

Where do you live???  ::)

8-)

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 11:21:50 pm »

When the N2 starts to break down like that (clumping), it's basically at the end of it's usefull life.  The 4 months is simply a "guide", not a "hard and fast" rule or guarantee.  I used N2 for the first year of my tub and then simply got tired of messing with it and went straight di-chlor and save the $100/year the N2 was costing me
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 10:11:12 am »
I used N2 for the first year of my tub and then simply got tired of messing with it and went straight di-chlor and save the $100/year

Yeah, but didn't you post that your hair was now thinner, you had gained weight, lost some stamina and were passed over for promotion at work (again)?

I don't know if that was such a great choice....

Kidding.

N2 does help keep the water sparkling, but with proper care Dichlor can do a fine job alone.

8-)

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 05:59:09 am »
It's been almost 2 full days now since I refilled and I'm yet to see a single spot. I have my fingers, toes, and eyes crossed.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 05:59:09 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42