What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: I think I have a leak-- update!  (Read 6268 times)

anne

I think I have a leak-- update!
« on: January 11, 2008, 04:09:15 pm »
Hello- been prowling around here a bit lately, but not actively posting much. I think my tub has a leak! :-[ :-X :-/ :'(

I have lost about 4-5" water this week with minimal usage. There is no water pooling in the cabinet. ( This is an Arctic- not full foamed. It is toasty and dry in there). I thought it was my imagination at first, but I *know* it went down this week at least 4 inches.

I put a call into the dealer, but they are not so local......any thoughts as to things that I can check/fix? I cannot tell you if it seems like there is more water around the tub, since it has rained like crazy here lately, and the tub is sitting on about 6" of gravel in a "box" of pressure treated 2x6's, so any water from below would probably drain down well without me knowing about it.

thanks!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 08:30:08 pm by anne »
Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

I think I have a leak-- update!
« on: January 11, 2008, 04:09:15 pm »

BauerN

• "...to feel is to believe."
Re: I think I have a leak
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 04:17:14 pm »
There is no water pooling in the cabinet. ( This is an Arctic- not full foamed. It is toasty and dry in there).

I'm assuming you looked inside the cabinet.

Did you check with jets on, off, or both?
Bullfrog Spas Dealer.  Raising the bar for customer service.

water@104

• Sitting here doing what i do best!
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 04:19:11 pm »
Anne,
I just fixed a leak in my tub that had been leaking for several months. It took me that long to find it. after looking and looking it ended up the light. the lens was cracked and I couldn't tell from inside the tub at all. So I would check there for a leak.

anne

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 04:28:23 pm »

I'm assuming you looked inside the cabinet.

Did you check with jets on, off, or both?

Right- I looked *in* the cabinet, and there is no water. I checked with jets on and off.

anne

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 04:31:53 pm »
Anne,
I just fixed a leak in my tub that had been leaking for several months. It took me that long to find it. after looking and looking it ended up the light. the lens was cracked and I couldn't tell from inside the tub at all. So I would check there for a leak.

How did you find it? I dont see any water dripping in the cabinet up around where the light sits, but it is really tricky to see all the way around it with all of the stuff (pump/power box/pipes) in the way

Also- 4" of water is a lot!! it seems like if this amount of water were hanging out somewhere in the cabinet, it would be obvious. Is this not true?

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 04:44:43 pm »
If the surface area of your spa is 7 feet square, you looking at almost 125 gallons of water... That's a lot of water.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 04:51:35 pm »
any thoughts as to things that I can check/fix?

I'm not too up on Arctic. Since the cabinet inside looks dry, is there an extrenal drain that might be leaking at the cap?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 04:53:19 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

loosenupspas

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 05:03:20 pm »
Anne,
Working with Coleman Spas, they have Thermal Lock too, i am familiar with looking for leaks.  First rule out equipment leakage.  Secondly Jets and fittings.  Use a bright flash light and search on the floor of the tub.  Lift all the manifolds for water collected under them.  Look hard at the returns in the foot well feel around for water there-very important.  Remove as many of the cabinet sides as you can, expose as much of the pumping as possible.  If you find nothing, slid newspaper under as much of the pumping as possible and leave it sitting overnight.  Newsprint will smear when water lands on it, find the smear and you are close to the leak.  You have to feel around with your hands, touch all the connections, look for discolored foam.....be patient and looki hard with a bright light it is there, but where is the mystery.  You may email or call me if i can be of any other help.  Good luck and God's speed to you...Tom

loosenupspas

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 05:04:42 pm »
anne...if the tub is on a permeable surface, like pavers the water might go straight down and you might not see it.

Pathfinder

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 05:19:23 pm »
Anne, as Spatech says check the drain cap then your pumps. Check the pumps where the wet end meets the motor, a worn seal can cause a leak.You can also use brown econo paper towel as any water will discolour the material.

anne

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 06:11:15 pm »
Thanks guys! I'll look more thoroughly, flashlight and all, and see what I find. As Dr. Spa said, 125 gallons is a lot, and I cant imagine the problem is so subtle, but I'll look again! :)

anne

Re: I think I have a leak-- update!
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 08:52:16 pm »
Well, I went back out there, and started taking sides off again. This time I heard dripping. I did not hear it before- whether it was not dripping as much before, or whether it was because the pump noise muffled it, I dont know. I found a constant drip/dribble from underneath a white ring attached to the pump that was replaced about 2 months ago. There was a puddle of water forming that was not there this morning. I tightened the ring, and the dripping stopped......turned the pump on, still no dripping. This is the ring: (sorry- photobucket id being uncooperative, and I cannot seem to make these smaller. You may have to scroll)

So, could it have just loosened since installation because of vibration?

Does this mean that there is something wrong with the pump or connections?

I'll check again tomorrow to see if it loosened again or if the dripping restarted.

If I lost 4-5" of water this week, but found no puddle until this afternoon, I dont understand where the rest of the water WENT!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 09:01:31 pm by anne »

Pathfinder

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 10:43:46 pm »
You wont see a leak when the pump is on for that pipe is on the suction side of the pump so it will only leak while the pump isnt running. Thats a lot of vibration to work connection loose.  Do you know if they put in an O-ring at the connection or an o-ring gasket? The reason I ask is the o-ring might be worn or not sealing properly if its not tight enough. In my experience I have found o-ring gaskets seal better with less pressure on pump connections.

anne

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2008, 01:34:08 am »
I dont know about the O ring. My dealer never called me today, so I guess we'll see what info I get on Monday, and see what happens between now and then. Thanks!

loosenupspas

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2008, 10:04:41 am »
Anne....are there slice valves that could be closed off to the pump?  You probably have found your problem.  The pump union may not have been tightened just right when the work was last done.  I would suggest that you  close the slice valves, unscrew the union and check the Oring to make sure it is intact and positioned correctly in the union.  Heck if it is even there in the first place.  Go to The Home Depot and purchase a silicon lube and sealant, rub it on the Oring and place it into the union.  Be sure that the union is properly aligned as you thread it back on.  Hard hand tight should be good enough to screw the union to the pump, but if not use large channel locks and torque it a 1/4 of an inch or less.  Unions are plastic and prone to crack if over tightened.......Good luck to you....hottubtommy

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2008, 10:04:41 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42