What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Newbie Question #2  (Read 12453 times)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Newbie Question #2
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2008, 01:43:53 pm »
"If you live on a small income I don't think a spa is the correct thing to buy. $3000 is better put into the bank"

I do not have the knowledge Vinny has about Hot Tubs, but I respectfully totally disagree.

If you are a "smart shopper" you can find a very nice $3000 hot tub on CraigsList from one of the top makers in the industry. As long as you are not in a hurry you can find someone that needs to get rid of their nice working near mint condition tub. Yeah you wont get a warranty, but if it's from a top quality maker you probably will get years of enjoyment of out it. Plus...so what if something goes wrong a year or two down the road......and you have to spend a few dollars fixing something....heck dont we do that with used cars....and just about everything else we buy?

Be patient and watch your local CraigsList.....you'll find something every nice for $3000.

Don't give up on tubbing!

Dan, Thanks for understanding my point!

Zep, if you bought a spa from a dealer and they didn't honor the warranty, it is broke - what the heck are you going to do if you just spent your last $3000 on the spa.

Now lets face it a spa regardless of how you get it is not going to put additional money in your pocket, feed the family, fix the roof, repair the car ... --> ALL things that are essential to life. Not everyone is at the same income level as others, I don't believe I have the same salary as you so I am giving a real life subjective opinion. It's not my life but it ain't yours either. He indicated they have a small income. If that's the case why buy a hot tub or lease a car for $600 a month - both would seem wasteful of money AT A SMALL INCOME. If they made $150,000 which is not small IMO then we are talking something different.

A hot tub is a want not a need IMO!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2008, 01:43:53 pm »

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2008, 02:33:33 pm »
Sorry, Vinny...I don't think it's a "waste of money" if it is something they have wanted for some time now.  People with small fixed incomes should be able to enjoy the odd holiday or other such pleasures from time to time.  Now if we were talking about a homeless person without a job, I would agree, but I think people should enjoy or treat themselves occasionally.  I like to always have a "carrot" to keep me interested and motivated, whether that is a motorbike, a holiday or whatever interests our family...my two cents!
Steve

Oh, and I'd go with the Hot Spring!!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 02:37:22 pm by ssbraun »

Cyn

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2008, 02:43:00 pm »
What Vinny is saying is, it is not the initial outlay of money for the "odd holiday" or in this case tub, but the very real possibility of having to spend more money down the road for repairs, etc., if the budget is already stretched thin.  Most folks don't have to come up with more money for that odd holiday after it is over, well, most!  I am hoping that our new forum member has the extra money to keep up any reasonable possible future expenditures on a used tub, but he did not have the extra initial outlay.  It is certainly possible to move money out of the going out the movies and dinner column and push it over to the future possible spa expenditures if you really want that spa.  Good luck!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2008, 05:48:04 pm »
Cyn,

What you said is another possibility that I really wasn't going there at this time.

In my life I have used my last $3500 to buy a furnace and central AC unit because I needed one. I have had to buy cars when I wasn't expecting to buy them and we have wanted things that cost a lot of money but because we weren't able to afford them at the time and near future we didn't get them. I've also bought things with the idea that it will be paid off soon and have other things come up and can't pay them off. I have lived paycheck to paycheck and have had to eat hot dogs for dinner to make our money stretch. There have been times where if it wasn't for our families I don't know where the money was coming from. If you haven't lived that lifestyle I don't think you know where my comments are coming from.

If I got my inheritance today I would not be buying a hot tub because I have a junior in high school and I plan on him going to college - his future is 10,000% more important than a hot tub. I took a calculated risk back then that I would make that money up by the time my son needed the money for education.

Reality is not everyone can afford the lifestyle of the rich and famous and America is reaping the benefits today because the word "NO" seems to have dropped out of our vocabulary.  When it's winter time and your house needs a heater and the money spent is sitting in the tub - wrong priority.

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2008, 07:25:33 pm »
On a limited budget....you can find something like this on your
local CraigsList.....I dont see how you can go wrong.....offer $1700....
put $1000 in the bank for possible repairs down the road and you
are soaking!

[size=14]Hot Springs Hot Tub - $1975[/size]

This 97 Hot springs Highlife Hot Tub is in excellent condition with a custom
made air chamber cover with great insulation value.The tub has always been
under a covered patio so there is no sun damage.Hot Springs is known for quility spas.
Please call 303-907-5210

http://denver.craigslist.org/hsh/512689679.html

thatbpguy

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2008, 11:19:41 pm »

I'm going to sound like Suze Orman here but ... If you live on a small income I don't think a spa is the correct thing to buy. $3000 is better put into the bank or invested in case something more important is needed (roof, refrig and essentials to life) vs a luxury item. Regardless of what anybody says this item can and will put a little more financial burden on your monthly income.

Personally, I wanted a tub for 10 + years. I couldn't afford one and during most of those 10 + years we lived in a townhouse developement where I couldn't put one out anyway. We decided to have children, have my wife stay home and we cut our salary in half - we couldn't afford $h*t. After about 5 years my wife started working and we were able to move into a house and still not able to afford luxuries but we were in a house with a backyard for the kids.

The ONLY way I was able to afford a tub was by my mom dying and leaving me an inheritance which was a heck of a lot more than the tub. I'd give it all up to have my parents back!!!

My suggestion is don't buy any tub, save your money and keep it safe for a more serious reason. If for any reason after you buy the tub you need the money you won't have it and will be put into a larger financial burden. Really think about it before buying this tub!

Sorry to rain on your parade but I am giving you an honest answer in this situation.

That's what we've done. We're both age 50 and we saved and invested to buy a house at age 40. We saved to replace the fence (I did the work). Saved to add a roof last summer. We have the money for me to paint this summer as well as a new small deck. My wife is an excellent cook so we only eat out about once per month. I place 15% of my pay into a 401k. We support 2 boys in college with $400 per month and give at church, work and a few other charities. As our bones get older a nice hot soak is a wonderful thing.

All that to say, of COURSE we could spend this money better. I could give it to the poor, save it, invest it... but we're opting not to. We just can't afford to add to it due to our savings, charities, assiting college kids...

But thanks just the same for your concern.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2008, 02:18:55 am »
Buying a spa was the best investment we ever made for the family. Spending extra family time with the wife and kids has been a blessing. It's well worth the money we spent.

We've cut back on going out to dinner and extra stuff to help offset the costs. I also understand Vinny's point. If you have a ton of debt it might make more sense to use the money in another way.

Going with a dealer backed spa with a warranty would be my choice but your choices will be limited @ 3K. Craigslist would be a good option to get more bang for your buck if you had experience purchasing a spa. You could also check out some of your local dealerships for pre-owned spas with a limited warranty. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 03:01:17 am by Gomboman »
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Doobiewah

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2008, 12:16:38 pm »
On a 'peace of mind' note, I have to agree with those who say the HS tub is your best bet...expecially considering the warranty and 'if' your dealer is reputable.

I'd certainly wet test, too, twice if you can so you can go back and reconsider what you like and don't like from the first wet test.

Good luck in your search!

The Doob

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2008, 02:44:37 pm »
On a limited budget....you can find something like this on your
local CraigsList.....I dont see how you can go wrong.....offer $1700....
put $1000 in the bank for possible repairs down the road and you
are soaking!

[size=14]Hot Springs Hot Tub - $1975[/size]

This 97 Hot springs Highlife Hot Tub is in excellent condition with a custom
made air chamber cover with great insulation value.The tub has always been
under a covered patio so there is no sun damage.Hot Springs is known for quility spas.
Please call 303-907-5210

http://denver.craigslist.org/hsh/512689679.html

Whatever the price - add $360 to buy a good cover and get rid of that spa cap.

And thatbpguy since you thought about this then I would still go with the Hot Springs.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 05:36:36 pm by Vinny »

96SC

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2008, 05:20:11 pm »

I'm going to sound like Suze Orman here but ... If you live on a small income I don't think a spa is the correct thing to buy. $3000 is better put into the bank or invested in case something more important is needed (roof, refrig and essentials to life) vs a luxury item. Regardless of what anybody says this item can and will put a little more financial burden on your monthly income.

Personally, I wanted a tub for 10 + years. I couldn't afford one and during most of those 10 + years we lived in a townhouse developement where I couldn't put one out anyway. We decided to have children, have my wife stay home and we cut our salary in half - we couldn't afford $h*t. After about 5 years my wife started working and we were able to move into a house and still not able to afford luxuries but we were in a house with a backyard for the kids.

The ONLY way I was able to afford a tub was by my mom dying and leaving me an inheritance which was a heck of a lot more than the tub. I'd give it all up to have my parents back!!!

My suggestion is don't buy any tub, save your money and keep it safe for a more serious reason. If for any reason after you buy the tub you need the money you won't have it and will be put into a larger financial burden. Really think about it before buying this tub!

Sorry to rain on your parade but I am giving you an honest answer in this situation.

I agree with you Vinny.  $3K is a nice windfall but sh*t does happen.  Put the $ away for a rainy day.  My 2˘.
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2008, 05:37:13 pm »
It seems that you and I are the only ones thinking this way.

Spiderman

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2008, 06:12:31 pm »
I would also recommend the Solana.   I'd also like to add, since this thread went in this direction; re: hot tubs and "luxury items".   I hate when people act like hot tubs are only for the "rich".   My wife's aunt talks about how hot tubs are too expensive for people to buy (around these parts in her opinion), and then she goes out a buys a $30K camper!!!  And she's not the only one to talk stupid like this.  Obviously people value things differently, but I think everyone should have their own hot tub (if they really want one).  Stop buying a new car every three or four years, stop eating out all the time, and I could go on and on.  I tell people for the price of a cell phone plan per month, you could own a hot tub; and we all know how many people have cell phones out there - EVERYONE!!!   Sorry about the rant, but it's been a rough day  >:(

Don't forget to post some pics when you get your new tub installed  :)

People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2008, 08:05:05 pm »
I would also recommend the Solana.   I'd also like to add, since this thread went in this direction; re: hot tubs and "luxury items".   I hate when people act like hot tubs are only for the "rich".   My wife's aunt talks about how hot tubs are too expensive for people to buy (around these parts in her opinion), and then she goes out a buys a $30K camper!!!  And she's not the only one to talk stupid like this.  Obviously people value things differently, but I think everyone should have their own hot tub (if they really want one).  Stop buying a new car every three or four years, stop eating out all the time, and I could go on and on.  I tell people for the price of a cell phone plan per month, you could own a hot tub; and we all know how many people have cell phones out there - EVERYONE!!!   Sorry about the rant, but it's been a rough day  >:(

Don't forget to post some pics when you get your new tub installed  :)

Spiderman do you sell tubs for $50 a month with no interest - if yes then this may be a way for this person to get one. $50 x 12 months x 6 years = $3600 which is his price. Heck at $50 a month he can probably buy the Grandee! I doubt you do and honestly people do need a certain amount of money to buy certain things? Lets not forget that electric will go up too, so now it's really $60 a month yet it is still affordable.

Do you drive a Bentley or a Rolls? Is one of your possesions in life a customized Gulfstream Jet? Have you recently purchased 100 shares of Google? I doubt that because you probably can't afford it and neither can I. They are all available to us but I (and I suspect you along with lots of people) just don't have enough to make it reachable. Like it or not someone not making ends meet (which this is not the case it seems) should not buy a hot tub. Not needing something to live in my book makes it a luxury.[size=12] From webster: 3 a: something adding to pleasure or comfort but not absolutely necessary <one of life's luxuries> b: an indulgence in something that provides pleasure, satisfaction, or ease [/size]

I have a new car but not a BMW. I own a house but not a $750,000 McMansion. I can't afford to take flying lessons and I can live without them.

Like you said, people value things differently but if this was my money and I didn't have money in the bank "just in case" I would not spend it on a tub. Then again, I am not in the business of selling spas.

Cyn

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2008, 11:05:35 am »
Obviously we have hit on a sore spot for many on this forum.  I think living on the East coast, Vinny, where things are too expensive and the living ain't easy, as they say, has made you want to save the world from being financially irresponsible!! I grew up in NJ and am now in the midwest where people that work in grocery stores and even fast food restaurants actually seem to want and enjoy their jobs!!  It was quite enlightening.  But, more to the point, we are all different.  You may have your pool and hot tub and a house full of something you like to collect, whether it be DVD's or nice clothes or something more expensive.  Add up all those unnecessary items and you might find that you would have been able to retire at a much younger age.  Everyone has a different idea of what makes the living easy, or easier.  All this fuss and bother. Our new forum memeber seems to have lived long enough to understand how it all works  ;).  I am very, very much a less is more person...and we have been way, way blessed, but no one would know, except if they peaked in the backyard and saw my 2-3 man tub in the backyard  ;D ;D.  And actually, the best part is we are retired at a very, very early age...so we can enjoy that tub 24 hours a day, if we want. I am not saying you have a closet full of clothes, Vinny, so don't take offense...just giving an example of what is important, fun, not on the list of essentials, is different for everyone.  Some people have no desire to retire early.  But it works for us!!   8-)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2008, 06:08:27 pm »
Cyn,

What's the secret to retiring really early? Maybe if I sold my house in NJ I too can retire really early but with kids hopefully going to college i don't think I could and my wife wouldn't have it.

My life doesn't consist of too many extras. We do eat out a bit but other than that we tend to be frugal. In my own world I see too much financial stupidity for lack of a better word. People not saving for retirement (unfortunately I also did that when my wife didn't work), people maxing out credit cards and stuff like that. Like it or not America is in a deep finacial crunch that some people (not me) feel the government should bail them out. Figures of $100 BILLION are being thrown out as to the loses that companies have.

I'm not out to save the world financially but to me it's a staggering amount of money due to financial irresponsibilty of the general public! And we are going to see the ramifications of it.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2008, 06:08:27 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42