What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Is my ozone working?  (Read 8318 times)

SpaNE

Is my ozone working?
« on: December 13, 2007, 09:34:08 pm »
How do you tell for sure if your ozone is working?  I have a J345 and I didn't notice the bubbles coming out from the heater return like it usually does.

Hot Tub Forum

Is my ozone working?
« on: December 13, 2007, 09:34:08 pm »

Pathfinder

Re: Is my ozone working?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 10:03:01 pm »
The bose injector for your Ozonator could be clogged.  You'll probably be able disconnect the top hose and dislodge any of the build up with a pin or anything with that small diameter.  If that doesnt do it then you may have to soak the injector.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 07:59:08 am »
Whenever I lost the bubbles, my ozonator check valve needed replacing.  To check...remove check valve from small diameter tubing and blow (do not suck) through.  You should be able to blow one way and not the other.  If you can't blow both ways, that is most likely your problem.  Be prepared for the nasty taste.  

clover

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 09:08:31 am »
It could be as simple as a dirty filter.

First, focus on the bubbles.  Take the filter out, if your bubbles resume, the filter is restricting gallons per minute.  Second, as suggested, remove the feeder line to the injector, bubbles yes or no?  If no, Continue to work back through the check valve until we discover WHAT is stopping the bubbles.

It should be a simple diagnostic process to find out what happened to the bubbles that "deliver" ozone.

There is a direct relationship to GPM and the ability to draw a venturri action.  Your gpm's are reduced, OR you delivery system is blocked.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

Vanguard

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 11:14:27 am »
I agree with these responses.  

One other thing to point to restricted flow somewhere - even if your ozone system was not working, you'd still be getting bubbles.  The bubbles would just be air, though.  So, since you are not even getting bubbles, it points to a flow restriction somewhere.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

tjr

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 05:38:12 pm »
Don't ever stick the ozone tubing in your mouth. The acid that builds up will cause serious chemical burns!

Vanguard

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 05:41:54 pm »
Don't ever stick the ozone tubing in your mouth. The acid that builds up will cause serious chemical burns!

Do you speak from experience??   ;) ;)
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 07:59:31 pm »

Do you speak from experience??   ;) ;)

Chemical burns?? The blisters could have been from something else :-/ ::) :o

clover

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 08:07:31 pm »

Chemical burns?? The blisters could have been from something else :-/ ::) :o
experience? ::) :o ;)

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 08:33:24 pm »
experience? ::) :o ;)

You Burned Me on that one! Ouch ;) :o

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 08:39:12 pm »

You Burned Me on that one! Ouch ;) :o

Asta....
That thing on your lip is not from a burn!  (or an ozonator!)
Fess up!

;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 08:39:53 pm by Richs100 »
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

SpaNE

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2007, 08:59:07 pm »
Whenever I lost the bubbles, my ozonator check valve needed replacing.  To check...remove check valve from small diameter tubing and blow (do not suck) through.  You should be able to blow one way and not the other.  If you can't blow both ways, that is most likely your problem.  Be prepared for the nasty taste.  

Thanks for all the responses.  The filters are fine because I just cleaned them recently.  In regards to the check valve and feeder line...looks like I need to remove the cover to the control panel...but after that I'm lost.  Where is the check valve and what is involved in replacing it?

Brings up an interesting question...I assume I could simply call the dealer and have them come out and fix it.  Tub is 6 months old so should be covered under warranty.  Right?

clover

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2007, 09:09:25 pm »

The filters are fine because I just cleaned them recently....Brings up an interesting question...I assume I could simply call the dealer and have them come out and fix it.  Tub is 6 months old so should be covered under warranty.  Right?
That would be an assumption, take your filters out first.  Recently is ambiguous and filters do restrict flow and flow is not covered under warranty.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2007, 10:36:31 am »
With your particular spa and factory ozonator, it is most likely either a kink or blockage in the ozone tubing, the check valve or the Mazzei injector.  The check valve is most prone to failure.  It is very easy to check.  If you remove your front cabinet panels you should be able to locate the ozonator itself.  It should be a gray or blue box approx 8" x 5" with a 1/4" tube comming out of it along side a short 1/4" tube for air to enter.  Follow the long tube.  It should form a loop above the water line and end up at a special Tee at the water return line.  This tee is the Mazzei injector.  Somewhere along the 1/4" tubing there should be at least one check valve.  It is a small plastic device.  Sometimes the Mazzei injector can foul up and needs to be freed or cleaned up.  The only way you will know if your check valve is bad is to blow through it.  If you're nervous about the nitric acid, attach a clean short length of tubing and blow though that.  Your ozonator should blow bubbles whether the ozonator itself is working or not.  The bubbles are only an indication of the Mazzei injector and the tubing in good shape and enough water volume to allow the injector to work properly (thus the dirty filter issue).

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2007, 01:56:05 pm »
 You could also put your hand on the ozonator and feel it running, main pumps should be off for this.

Any chance you recently had a power outage??  That can allow water to siphon back up the 1/4" tube and get past the check valves, which does happen once and awhile.  

I have seen some spas, that whoever installed the ozonator left the 1/4" tube on the floor inside the cabinet, instead of coiled up above the waterline, and it actually will siphon all the water out of the tub, through the ozonator.  
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 01:56:33 pm by Jacuzzi_Jim »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2007, 01:56:05 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42