What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Panels Popping On Hot Springs???  (Read 21160 times)

Markus

• HS Vanguard 2005
Re: Panels Popping On Hot Springs???
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2007, 10:29:20 pm »
I don't worry too much about it any more...since it is all under warranty. I guess I've become numb to the shock of things going wrong.

Beleive it or not...I still think they make a good quality spa and I don't think my troubles are the "norm".

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2007, 10:29:20 pm »

Vanguard

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2007, 11:28:56 pm »
Actually, now is a good time to tell them about the warping issue since I'll be making an appointment for them to replace the inside controller panel.

Not only are the panel corners warped...one of the panels actually developed a crack/split right down the middle of it which progressively got worse over the last 8 months. The crack now runs from top to bottom for about 80% of the panel height.

This spa was purchased new... but gave me nothing but problems since day one! They've been out to my house 7 or 8 times for repairs so far in just 2 years.

Have the problems been major problems?  If so, and they have really been out that many times, you might start mentioning a new spa to them.  Some spas just seem to have a ghost in them.  That goes for all brands.  No matter what gets fixed, something else seems to break.

No manufacturer likes to replace spas, but I know that if a spa has enough problems in a short amount of time, Watkins will consider a replacement.  Just get your dealer to go to work for you on this.

Now, if the problems have been things like jets falling off, pillows coming loose, etc, don't expect a replacement.  But, if you have major panel problems, equipment problems, etc, you might get a replacement.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2007, 11:41:06 pm »
OUCH!  I am starting to feel sick just thinking about it.!!!

Altavista, don't lose any sleep over this problem. I'm sure your dealer or the factory will make things right for you. Watkins is top notch and they won't screw you on this matter.
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Vanguard

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2007, 11:51:23 pm »
As to the original post, I know Hot Spring had some issues a while back.  The problem described was exactly the issue.  Hot Spring was shipped some wood that wasn't fully dried.  The problem is, you can't tell just by looking at it.

Asta, check with your dealer to see when the spa was built.  You can tell by looking at the serial number.  

You'll see a letter indicating your model, followed by the quarter your spa was built (1, 2, 3, or 4), then the year code.  2006 is H and 2007 is I.

This will help your dealer find out if your spa was built in a period with bad wood.

Now, the fix is very simple.  They'll do a little on-site work and you shouldn't have any more problems with that.   At worst, they'll replace your panel.  This is a minor repair and will not affect the operation of your spa.

I know its a bummer to have anything go wrong with your brand new spa.  However, when you work with natural products, you sometimes get unpredictable results.  
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 11:52:47 pm by aquatub »
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2007, 07:39:53 am »
dunno? mine says SS3J1227 doesn't seem to make much sense.. I know I saw a sticker that showed an inspection date in August of 2007?

Pathfinder

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2007, 07:56:06 am »
The process of posting pics-

1-go to www.photobucket.com and open a free account
2-upload the pictures you want to post
3-once your pics are uploaded there are codes underneath click on the IMG code
4-click copy of the code
5-click on reply to the topic your in on the forum and right click paste in the response.
6-click add reply and your done.

loosenupspas

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2007, 09:12:18 am »
If HS has panels made of the same material that Colemans are, then it is a thermoplastic.  I am sure that they are similar in material.  Our panels are mounted on a sheet of wood particle board, which maintains the shape of the thermoplastic.  If you remove the particle board the thermoplastic will warp.  This particle board doesn't require curing, I am sure. Your panel was manufactured long before your hot tub, I'd guess. Particle board or Plywood doesn't cure, that is why it is plywood and won't warp.  Panels warping seems more like an attachment problem, not enough screws in the right places.  Possibly screws over threaded and caused the holes to strip and are not providing solid attachment. A longer screw could repair a stripped point of attachment.   New panels should fix your problem. I'd make it a point to be on hand when the repair was made and be certain how all things fix back together.  Look at the screw holes, the wood that isn't cured, all issues involved in this problem.  

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2007, 09:48:31 am »
This doesn't sound like a panel problem, but a wood frame problem.  Panels can be easily replaced, but if the frame isn't repaired, the problem won't be fixed.  Wood, though, is easily fixable and I am sure that the integrety of the spa is fine.  With HotSpring's foam, the spa is like a rock.  Though it seems bleak now, I am sure there will be a sound fix and repair...most likely without having to replace your spa.

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2007, 10:39:27 am »
This doesn't sound like a panel problem, but a wood frame problem.  Panels can be easily replaced, but if the frame isn't repaired, the problem won't be fixed.  Wood, though, is easily fixable and I am sure that the integrety of the spa is fine.  With HotSpring's foam, the spa is like a rock.  Though it seems bleak now, I am sure there will be a sound fix and repair...most likely without having to replace your spa.
exactly! my panel is fine.  it is the wood behind it that has warped.. pushing the panel out.  If it is not structural then you are right it is not as bad as I first thought... but how much cosmetic damage and putty cover should I put up with for paying just shy of 11,000 after tax???

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2007, 10:45:27 am »

Okay here goes a try at a picture of my problem.. its upclose but to get an idea that gap at the bottom is about an inch wide.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2007, 10:52:31 am »
Have you seen the warpage?

Maybe we have been lucky, but I have never heard of this problem.

The panel is designed to be removed.  Perhaps it just needs to be popped back in.  However, if that were true, I don't know why it would be popping out in the 1st place.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2007, 10:58:04 am »
Looking closely inside that pulled apart section I can see a piece of broken wood.  Don't know what that means... I would hate to think they would force it in with a screw. and then have the wood twist more and pop the screw making a mess of the panel.

On the bright side... my water is perfect... and as someone said earlier..at least I am not missing out on soaking time!  ;)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 11:00:27 am by AstaLaVista »

loosenupspas

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2007, 11:02:24 am »
Asta......if your frame is warped.......get a new tub.......enough conversation.....Tom

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2007, 11:23:57 am »

Okay here goes a try at a picture of my problem.. its upclose but to get an idea that gap at the bottom is about an inch wide.

From looking at teh picure IMO it shouldn't be a major fix but the dealer/service person could tell you by seeing it up close. The panel "clips" in place on the side of the spa. From the picture I'd imagine a clip came loose (male or female) or the wood broke (a vertical piece that can be replaced).
220, 221, whatever it takes!

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2007, 11:34:45 am »

From looking at teh picure IMO it shouldn't be a major fix but the dealer/service person could tell you by seeing it up close. The panel "clips" in place on the side of the spa. From the picture I'd imagine a clip came loose (male or female) or the wood broke (a vertical piece that can be replaced).
so not structural good.  Thank you for your technical opinion.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2007, 11:34:45 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42