What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Snow Removal Method??  (Read 9576 times)

Tonyf

Snow Removal Method??
« on: December 13, 2007, 10:00:08 am »
We are expecting a foot of snow today. What is the safest method fror removing snow from the cover? Most snow shovels have a metal edge. Thought about getting our electric leaf blower out. We have a floor broom for our garage, but I am afraid it might have dirt or snows in it and that would scratch the cover. Suggestions?
Tony :o

Hot Tub Forum

Snow Removal Method??
« on: December 13, 2007, 10:00:08 am »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Re: Snow Removal Method??
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 10:07:07 am »
Tony, I have a rubber broom that has a squeeze on the opposite side of the broom. It is very gentle on the cover. The trick might be to keep the cover clear every so often, so you aren't trying to remove the entire foot of snow in one shot.
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 10:09:57 am »
Like this one (mine is about 5 years old now)

http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages/OneSweepBroom.html

dax

• '07 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 10:20:12 am »
Like this one (mine is about 5 years old now)

We're getting freezing rain and snow today too, Bonibelle.  Think you can make a run up the northeast extension and let me try it on my cover before I buy it?  :D

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 10:34:42 am »
Be right up Dax, I am sure the NE extention would literally be a thrill this afternoon!! :o Trust me on this one, the broom is great and it has multiple uses. I have even scrubbed the deck (to remove algae) with the broom side of it..and it can pull dog hair from the carpet like you can't believe. It is also great for removing water from your steps before it turns to ice.

Maybe Doc needs to take a look...and bundle it with a spa blanket (and a Christmas coupon)  ;D ;D..

water@104

• Sitting here doing what i do best!
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 11:08:10 am »
we use the snow broom. works like a charm. going on three years and the cover still looks the same!! I think you can get them at Walmart or taget.

http://cozywinters.com/shop/sno-brum.html

I added the pic - Bill
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 07:07:46 pm by wmccall »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 01:12:12 pm »
The snow broom? Now I have to admit I only heard of this a few weeks ago. The manufacturer is pestering me to carry them. Even sent me a free sample!.... Personally, I thought the overall quality was a bit low, though it is only a $20 item.......... and my only experience with snow is looking at pictures  ;D

water@104, have you had the SAME one for 3 years? Do you think it works well? Or as well as anything else? Maybe better?
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 01:44:54 pm »
The thing I can say about my broom is that it is useful year around. I can even use it to reach the center of the cover when I wash it. It functions as a broom in the house and on the deck, so I don't have to store it away for the summer. The one pictured is actually a bit different from the one I have, but the idea is the same. I think mine may have come from QVC. My friend gave it to me when I remodeled my kitchen. It does a great job sweeping the tile too :)

Lars

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 02:01:21 pm »
Why not just go buy a plastic snow shovel?

I use the same kind as I use on the driveway for the heavy stuff.  Looks sorta like a coal shovel.  Good for the deck too.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 02:14:11 pm »
Just use your push broom.  As long as it doesn't have any rocks or other debris, it should work fine- I've done that for several years, and haven't damaged the cover- it's pretty tough vinly anyway.  Just push the snow off one side to the other.  
 Costs nothing, and you don't need to have another tool taking up room.

Or if that makes you nervous, just buy another push broom and save it for this purpose.  They don't cost very much.  

« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 02:14:41 pm by Brewman »
Brewman

rick_in_cleveland

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 02:29:50 pm »
I use  a push broom for snow or if there is a little ice I will use a plastic kids snow shovel

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 03:55:50 pm »
I cover the spa with a tarp tied to hooks that I put into the decking on the 4 corners of the spa.  Simply unhook the tarp and pull snow and ice off.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 03:56:17 pm by tonyp »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2007, 04:02:14 pm »

We're getting freezing rain and snow today too, Bonibelle.  Think you can make a run up the northeast extension and let me try it on my cover before I buy it?  :D

Be careful with ice, a sheet of ice weighs more than it might look.  A cover with a thin layer of ice can snap a cover lifter pretty quick.  (Yes, voice of experience. )
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 04:11:32 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

loosenupspas

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2007, 04:12:59 pm »
i am in florida.....80....dipping in the 50's after dark.  wont a snow blower do the trick.  i use a shop broom move water off covers.   Ice on the cover would seem like more of an issue.  I'd think a sheet of plastic on the cover and pull it off if it gets all iced over.  Burrrrr anyway....if it cooled way down i'd like it here

Tonyf

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2007, 05:37:51 pm »
All great ideas, and I especially like the snow broom (brum). I tried our electric leaf blower late this morning and it worked well. The snow had a heavier consistency this afternoon and it didn't work so well. A negative was two fold: 1. all the windows around the deck were covered with snow, and 2. the snow got sucked into the inlet of the blower and started to clog up. The wife used her certain look at me when she saw the windows. ::)

I tried a plastic tarp on my old tub and several times, the tarp froze to the cover from water getting under it and I couldn't get it off.
Tony

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2007, 05:37:51 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42