What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Artesian Spas  (Read 45591 times)

Hounds tub

Artesian Spas
« on: December 09, 2007, 12:07:35 pm »
We've looked at many tubs over the last couple of days. Marguis, Dynasty, Coleman, and Artesian. We liked the Pelican Bay by Artesian, but everyone told us to stay away from them. No one would say as to why. After reading many reviews we still don't understand as to why we were told to avoid them. Most reveiw I've read have been postive. Can anyone enlighten us? We really liked the idea of being able to control individual chairs.

Hot Tub Forum

Artesian Spas
« on: December 09, 2007, 12:07:35 pm »

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
Re: Artesian Spas
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 12:25:31 pm »
Artesian makes a fine spa! There are many happy owners who frequent this site.

I too was/am impressed with their patented Direct Flo system. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if money were not a factor I'd probably be in a Piper Glen right now.

If the wet test went good and the dealer is reputable, go for it!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 02:35:59 pm by WHY_NOT »

IL Parrothead

• Owner of 2008 Marquis Epic #2
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 12:56:22 pm »
I agree with Chad.  I've been frequenting this site for a while and have had many a chat with Artesian owners -- some with the higher end and some with the Island series with their Helix jets.  They all seem very happy.  Also, like Chad, my wife and I tested the Piper Glen.  Probably in the top 2 or 3 tubs we tested.  Just didn't feel like spending that kind of money.
Mike

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 01:00:16 pm »
I own an Artesian Island series tub and it is a great tub! Artesian isn't as known as some others but IMO it makes a great product. Some people on the internet complain that the customer service stinks but I have talked to Artesian and emailed them and I would rate them top notch there as well. Even the "best" tub with a crappy dealer will be a horror.

The only real problem I have had with the tub is that certain jets break. This is not an Artesian problem but the jet maker's problem (Waterway) and it only occured in a small portion of their tubs in late 2004 and early 2005. My tub is 2 1/2 YO and the dealer has taken care of all the jets that have broken under warranty. I did have air to a certain seat not turn off once and the dealer repaired it again under warranty.

I believe they have gone to Balboa controllers and some spa techs consider Balboa better than the Gecko they used to use.

I too wanted a Piper Glen but money was an important decision for purchasing a spa. My tub was about $3000 less than the Piper but the Piper at the time was about $3000 less than the D1 Bay series which was the other impressive high end tub that I saw. The Pelican Bay is fairly new to the Platinum lineup but it uses the same components as the Piper.

Hopefully this helps!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 01:00:53 pm by Vinny »

Hounds tub

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 01:24:44 pm »
They are more expensive than others, but I account that at having more pumps.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 01:33:18 pm »
They are more expensive than others, but I account that at having more pumps.
We're not saying that they're overpriced. They're actually right on par with any of the top teir spas offered by all the major brands. Those spas in that price range are just a little higher than the typical spa purchased by your average consumer. I beleive that the majority of spas purchased are the ones in the $6K-$8K range. Which are most manufacturer's middle teir spas- they utilize most of the same components but are typically not as large, don't have as many bells and whistles, and possibly don't have as long of a warranty. Kinda like buying a Toyota instead of a Lexus.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 01:54:49 pm by WHY_NOT »

IL Parrothead

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 02:40:09 pm »
Ditto here.  The Amore' Bay (D1) was the highest price tub we looked at.  About a thousand less was the Piper Glen.  If you like the Artesian, I tried an island series (I think it was the Grand Bahama) and really liked it.  If you don't like the lounger (I didn't care for it), I think their Grand Cayman is basically the same tub without it.  Several thousand less than some of the other tubs we looked at.  Give it a wet test!
Mike

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 02:40:25 pm »
I don't know where you got your info from.

As Chad said - all tubs are comperable to their equivilents. A Jacuzzi 400 series is about the price of an Artesian Platinum series which is about the price of a Sundance 800 series ...

The problem lies when you look at a $6,000 tub and then see a $12,000 tub and say holy $#%t!!! look at that price but it can be very misleading. Also the Pelican Bay is a larger tub than normal I believe which = more $$$.

You can buy a 2 person tub for a lot leass than a 8 person tub. Yes, something may be $500 more but it's not totally out of the league of similar tubs.

Hounds tub

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007, 02:45:48 pm »
Just kinda hard to part with 13,500, when you can find lots of other tubs cheaper. In the 8-9 gran range

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007, 02:57:05 pm »
Artisan is a nice spa maker and the piper Glen is a nice spa. I think you get more bang for your dollar from thier Island series. I have watched and listened to people who tested the piper Glen and I would say its 50/50 as to weather or not they like it....its not so much they don't like it, just that for many the pump per seat does not give the performance that they thought it would.

Hounds tub

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2007, 03:05:16 pm »
I looked @ the Island series. just didn't seem like it has any features at all.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2007, 03:14:51 pm »
Just kinda hard to part with 13,500, when you can find lots of other tubs cheaper. In the 8-9 gran range
I agree. It all comes down to how much spa you actually need.
For me?, I knew that 95% of the time it would just be me soakin', so anything over 7x7 was kinda overkill. It was also my first spa, so I thought It would be better to buy something middle of the road to get a feel of how much I actually used/liked it. Now over a year later, I soak almost everyday and will probably by a higher end spa once this one's warranty runs out. I just didn't want to have too much invested in something that I had never owned before. I really wanted a lounger but the only ones I liked were in some of the higher end spas thus is why I'll probably end up buying one that is a little more than I actually need. But sometimes it's worth the extra money to get what you want as long as you feel you're getting your money's worth.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 03:16:53 pm by WHY_NOT »

OC_Spas

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2007, 04:10:25 pm »
I looked @ the Island series. just didn't seem like it has any features at all.

The Island series is marketed "ala carte". You can order it as a basic, no frills model or loaded with jets, pumps, and high-end features. You can customize it to be just what you want. The ability to customize and the above-the-waterline neck/shoulder jets are what make the Island series different from the Platinum Elite and Platinum Series. Consequently, I don't consider the Island Series their "lower line".

IL Parrothead

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2007, 05:04:53 pm »
Vinny,
I agree with you -- for the most part -- and it might just be regional differences, but there still was a somewhat significant price difference between the top end spas.  Marquis Epic -- their top end spa -- is still under $10K unless you go stereo -- then it's $11K to low $11's.  Jacuzzi J480 fully loaded you're in low $11's by me.  Piper Glen you're mid $12's and Amore' Bay you're over $13K -- without a stereo! So, there is a difference in Chicago area.  Take the first and the last of those -- both top end by their manufacturer -- both without a stereo.  Epic = Mid to uper $9K range versus Amore' Bay -- approx. $13K.
Mike

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2007, 06:12:50 pm »
It could be a regional thing, when I was looking back in the fall of 2004 there was very little price difference in higher end models.

Artesian Piper Glen was about $9000, the Sundance Optima was about the same, didn't see the Marquis as the Sundance dealer had them at a different location and he talked them down. Jacuzzi J360 to 380 series was maybe $1000 cheaper, D1 Californian and Nautilus was $8000 but they were equivilent to the other tubs I was seeing and other than a very tidy equipment bay - nothing special ... The D1 Bay series was a totally different thing though and they were $11000+. I stopped looking at the premium tubs as $8000 + was too rich for my blood.

In the 2nd tier I saw Sundace Bahia, Down East Windsor SE, Coleman 470, Beachcomber 500 series and the Artesian Grand Cayman and they were all within $300 of each other in the $6500 range. I also saw the Emerald 880 and HS Vanguard and a bunch of other tubs that were around the $7000 to $7500 range along with the Beachcomber 300 series which was in the $6000 range.

As for the Island series not having much as OC_Spas said - you can configure it on how you want it. My tub has 56 jets and 3 therapy pumps, It actually looks very similar to the Piper in it's layout but I'm sure not in it's therapy. I can control how hard or soft the jets feel by the air controller and the rings around the jets themselves. I even got the enima seat  :o ;D just like the Piper!

But with everything said - it's your tub and not everyone has the money nor does every tub fit the needs of a person.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2007, 06:12:50 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42