What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cover Lifters?  (Read 11604 times)

searchinginfl

• 07 Caldera Niagra
Cover Lifters?
« on: November 27, 2007, 08:44:06 am »
Is there a "best" cover lifter? I like the pro-lift for my Caldera but my salesperson trashed them like crazy. Before I get delivery, I would like to see if he is full of crap. He gave me a Covermate.
Ivie

Hot Tub Forum

Cover Lifters?
« on: November 27, 2007, 08:44:06 am »

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
Re: Cover Lifters?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 08:51:10 am »
I have a covermate.... Don't know much about them.. but I have not had a problem with it... the cover on my vista is a little heavy/big but I can still swing it alone even though there are no hydrolics.  Is the Pro-lift the one that screws into the sides of the cover?? I wasn't sure I was comfortable with the thought of doing that....but what do I know??  ;)

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 11:13:13 am »
Is there a "best" cover lifter? I like the pro-lift for my Caldera but my salesperson trashed them like crazy. Before I get delivery, I would like to see if he is full of crap. He [glow]gave me [/glow]a Covermate.

Was the lifter included in the price of the spa?

I'm pretty sure the Covermate I (which is basic but effective) would cost him less that the other type so I can't help but to speculate whether that might be some of his motivation.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Spiderman

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 11:34:48 am »

Was the lifter included in the price of the spa?

I'm pretty sure the Covermate I (which is basic but effective) would cost him less that the other type so I can't help but to speculate whether that might be some of his motivation.

I agree.  It seems to me that most spa shoppers have no idea there are different makes and types of cover lifters.  The Cover Cradle by HotSpring is a great lifter and is so easy and effortless to use.  Other lifters do their job, it's just a little more work to use them.  

AstaLaVista, your HotSpring cover was made with plates inside so you can attach a HotSpring lifter to the side of the cover.  This way you don't have a big bar running across the seam.  
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 11:54:58 am »

AstaLaVista, your HotSpring cover was made with plates inside so you can attach a HotSpring lifter to the side of the cover.  This way you don't have a big bar running across the seam.  

Is the big bar on the seam not good?  :( The salesman showed me a floor model that had the one that screws into the side of the cover...and it was coming loose..and looked "rickety".  However I did like the shock assist.

Vanguard

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 12:41:37 pm »
Caldera has the Pro Lift II.  It is the same as the Cover Cradle II for Hot Spring.  That particular lift is very good quality.  It uses a gas shock and mounts into the mounting plates in the side of the cover.

I agree, the Pro Lift is not a great lift.  It is an entry level lift.  
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 01:23:02 pm »
Is there a "best" cover lifter? I like the pro-lift for my Caldera but my salesperson trashed them like crazy. Before I get delivery, I would like to see if he is full of crap. He gave me a Covermate.

I have the prolift II on my caldera Geneva and it works great.

On my Tiger River Caspian I had the Cover Mate 1, and it worked fine. It's a good quality basic lifter, but the Prolift is much better.

The Prolift bolts to the side of the hot tub. This allows for a much tighter seal between the hot tub and cover.  Since it bolts to the tub, there is no need to walk behind the tub to snap the cover down.  

Lifting the cover is much easer with the prolift as well.  Once you flip the first half over the cover over, you push the cover towards the back of the tub, and the prolift does the rest; lifitng it up for you. (standing by the side of the hot tub, I have been able to push the cover towards the back using just two fingers. With the CM I had to get into the hot tub and lift the cover towards the back with two hands, (and that was with a smaller cover).

I would suggest you try  themboth out on some tubs in his showroom floor and decide for youself, but I think you'll find that althought the CM can do the job adequately, the prolift  is a superior unit.
07 Caldera Geneva

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 01:55:45 pm »
My question at this point is... does the bar across the seam of the cover on the cover mate cause any duress on the seam??

searchinginfl

• 07 Caldera Niagra
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 02:35:49 pm »
I actually offered to pay the difference, but my salesman still says go with the covermate.
Ivie

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 02:42:45 pm »
Covermates are recognised by many as being the best lifts in the industry, now they make several different models. I like the cm3 the best. There is something that is new on the horizon regarding covers and lift that possibly may become industry standard in the near future. It is not made by covermate.

Just to add covermate and others do make for some OEM special brackets that they than rename the lift. People think that it is a lift that is made by the OEM'S but they are just one of the lifts that the lifter company makes and than tweaks it for the spa maker.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 02:58:49 pm by Mendocino101 »

Vanguard

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 09:56:27 pm »
My question at this point is... does the bar across the seam of the cover on the cover mate cause any duress on the seam??

It can.  It may take awhile to show up, though.  

I have seen and used both types.  If you have a Hot Spring, the Cover Cradle or CCII is the best lifter for that spa.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Vanguard

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 10:00:32 pm »
I actually offered to pay the difference, but my salesman still says go with the covermate.

That's strange.  Not sure why your dealer would do that unless he has an overstock of the Covermates.  

As I mentioned with Hot Spring, I think the ProLift II is the best lifter for a Caldera.  

The CoverCradle, Cover Cradle II on the Hot Spring side and the Pivot Pro and ProLift II on the Caldera side are exclusive to Watkins and made specifically for their spas.  I believe these are the only lifters made exclusively for a particular spa.

For these spas, I think these are the best lifters.

searchinginfl

• 07 Caldera Niagra
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 10:38:15 pm »
He actually had me call the technician and ask him! He said DO NOT go with pro lift! He said he has seen 2-3 year old covers using a pro-lift that weigh like 500 pounds from water getting in the holes.

I still may insist on it though. Are they hard to install?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 10:40:21 pm by searchinginfl »
Ivie

Vanguard

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2007, 10:48:13 pm »
I've had a Cover Cradle on my spa since 2004 without any problems at all.  Of course, if it is installed improperly, that may be the case.  

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2007, 04:59:47 am »

That's strange.  Not sure why your dealer would do that unless he has an overstock of the Covermates.  

As I mentioned with Hot Spring, I think the ProLift II is the best lifter for a Caldera.  

The CoverCradle, Cover Cradle II on the Hot Spring side and the Pivot Pro and ProLift II on the Caldera side are exclusive to Watkins and made specifically for their spas.  I believe these are the only lifters made exclusively for a particular spa.

For these spas, I think these are the best lifters.

Nope Marquis has its duralift which is a cm1 with a special bracket as does Jacuzzi and its cm3 for their 400 series, the units you are speaking about for Watkins I believe are made by a company in Oregon or Washington but they make the basic lift for many spas again they may change the mounting hardware and give it a new name but the lift is very much the same.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 05:01:21 am by Mendocino101 »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2007, 04:59:47 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42