What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Broken Buckles on Hot Tub Cover  (Read 9722 times)

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
Broken Buckles on Hot Tub Cover
« on: November 19, 2007, 09:35:52 am »
Okay, What is the first thing the sales men tells you when you go home with your new tub... "make sure you un buckle your back buckles before taking your cover off!" So, My first tub... my daughter broke both back buckles when she forgot to un-buckle.  I ordered new buckles through Watkins.. and just kept them when I traded in the Bengal.  Now, This Am... first time I go to get in my new tub... what do you think I did??? like a half asleep little kid on Christmas??? I broke one of my buckles... now my question is... I have the replacement buckle peice... but the other buckle is stiched on.. The buckles came with this weird looking peice of tape.  Has anyone ever replaced their buckles? and how do you go about doing it so they don't look like a$$.?? Any suggestions would be appreciated... the fabric of the strap is too thick to re-stich the new buckle on.. I would imagine there must some secret to the tape??

Hot Tub Forum

Broken Buckles on Hot Tub Cover
« on: November 19, 2007, 09:35:52 am »

96SC

Re: Broken Buckles on Hot Tub Cover
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 09:48:52 am »
When our HS tub was delivered the tech told us, 'Not to fasten the back clips', for the reason you wrote about.  I would just remove the broken plastic pieces and leave the loops hanging, but that is what I'd do.  

I have no idea on replacing them, sorry.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 09:49:28 am by 96SC »
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 09:55:11 am »
I did that on the Bengal... then when we had a bad rain storm with wind... it blew open on that side... leaving my tub half open till I got home from work....not good.

loosenupspas

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 10:00:50 am »
First of all....it is important to have all your locking clips operational.  It is a safety issue.  If you have a boat dealer in your area, ask them how you might go about repair the vinyl straps. A decent car upholstery shop should be able to fix the problem.  Also a vinyl repair service called on me years ago, he claimed that he could fix those clips by using a special vinyl clue on the strap after he cut it.  It would seem that it is not impossible to repair the locks.  You want to have the locks in working order just in case you might need them in the future........good luck

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 10:02:58 am »
Thank you for the advice.. I think that might be what the glue type tape they gave with the clips.  And I agree it is a needed safety feature!

Seahawk

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 10:04:05 am »
The best way to have it explained is to stop back at your dealer and have them show you.  It can be a little tricky to  try and explain in writing to you.  It isn't the easiest thing to replace!

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 10:16:14 am »
1.  Cut backside of plastic on male piece

2.  Thread onto strap

3.  Eat hot dog

Term
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 11:24:14 am »
Term has it again! But, eat the hot dog first, use a hack saw rather than a scissors, and don't cut straight through as pictured. The greater an angle you cut at, the stronger it will be.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 12:37:51 pm »
Thank you very much! never thought of doing it that way... that will be much easier .. the weather is getting too cold to spend too much time on it!  It hurts when you do that to a brand new product!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 07:46:24 am »
I've had to add those clips to my cover- it's really not all that hard- cut like doc says, and you'll be back in business.  
Brewman

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 08:45:40 am »
Brewman,

I feel better knowing I am not the only one to break one!  I felt like such an idiot!  :-[

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 11:24:32 am »
I suspect that replacements are fairly common, or else the buckles wouldn't be so readily available.  Mine just got brittle and the prongs on the male end all broke off.  Not sure if it was exposure to the sun or what.  The new ones seem to be holding up much better.  They seem to be a softer plastic.

Brewman

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 12:30:30 pm »
oh, so it is just me :'(

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 08:41:20 pm »
I've broken the back buckles of my spa cover a couple of times.  I've been fortunate that the female ends have always broken so no need to deal with the straps.  I now never buckle the back.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 08:41:20 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42