What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Optima filter  (Read 6313 times)

sonofsail

• Hi Y'all
Optima filter
« on: November 14, 2007, 10:44:51 am »
My 07 Optima came with a disposable filter.  It is supposed to be very good at keeping the water clean and so far it has lived up to that claim.  In a few months I will be faced with replacing it.  We use the tub everyday and some days more than once.   I am not thrilled with the idea a thow-away filter.  I would rather have one that I can clean and re-use as long as it keeps the water clean.  

Does anyone know if there is a re-usable filter for this tub and how much it would cost?  Also how effective is it and how often (average) does it have to be cleaned?

Tony, you have an optima.  What kind of filter do you use?
"Growing older but not up..."

Hot Tub Forum

Optima filter
« on: November 14, 2007, 10:44:51 am »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Optima filter
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 10:50:14 am »

Does anyone know if there is a re-usable filter for this tub and how much it would cost?  Also how effective is it and how often (average) does it have to be cleaned?

Tony, you have an optima.  What kind of filter do you use?

1) There absolutely is a standard filter replacement. Some dealers may not be aware but it has been confirmed a couple times by Sundance dealers on these sites.

2) It will be effective and in general people should clean their filters monthly (obviously it depends on use).
220, 221, whatever it takes!

txwillie

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 11:35:48 am »
My Sundance dealer carries the washable type filters as well as the disposables. They are cheaper than the disposables. I changed my original filter @ 9 months (second water change). No FLO issues with old one, but I did have to unscrew the filter to get full flow on restart, so I changed it with a new disposable. I love not having to clean filters. First tub used standard filters, and I never could get all the cleaner out, no matter what I tried, and I tried all sorts of stuff including a backwash fitting that flushed water through the filter via a garden hose. I have been very satisfied (amazed really) wih the clarity and overall quality of the water in my Sundance. I'll stick with the disposables.

txwillie

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 06:33:35 pm »
I have an older 850 series Optima with the two part filter which is different than the new 880 series.  As has been mentioned there is a regular pleated filter that fits...I believe the number is 6540-488..but double check.  I think I would use the pleated vs the disposable.  Pleated filters when maintained work very well.

BK

• 06 Sundance Optima
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 11:02:28 pm »
Our 06 came with the blue disposable. I didn't like it, apparently neither did other people because you can't get it anymore.

I used paper for a while and found it preferable to the blue, by quite a bit.

However, this new disposable, the white one, is superior to that in my opinion.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 07:40:03 am »
Tony- are you still using the micro filter in your spa?  
Or have you switched to the alternate pleated one?
I'm still on the 2 part myself.  
Brewman

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 08:37:48 am »
Tony- are you still using the micro filter in your spa?  
Or have you switched to the alternate pleated one?
I'm still on the 2 part myself.  

Yes I am for a couple of reasons....first I replaced my pleated filters before I realized there was an alternate...second I have a filter flask that fits my pleated filter and doesn't fit the alternate.  I don't find the small micro filter a problem though until recently I stretched its life to four months when I change my water...but now I change that filter every three as I don't feel its good for the little circ pump to push it too far.  When the pleated filters (I use two and swap out) need replacing again, I will seriously consider going to the full pleated one.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 12:27:23 pm »
My dealer said that letting that microfilter go too long could burn out the circulation pump.  I still use the micro's too.  Nice to have alternate options, though.
  I change mine every water change, which averages about 3 months.
The filter is discolored (Light tan color) all the way thru by then- not sure if that means the water flow is decreasing or not.  
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 12:28:59 pm by Brewman »
Brewman

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 01:03:14 pm »
My dealer said that letting that microfilter go too long could burn out the circulation pump.  I still use the micro's too.  Nice to have alternate options, though.
The filter is discolored (Light tan color) all the way thru by then- not sure if that means the water flow is decreasing or not.  

How much $$ per change? Per year?
220, 221, whatever it takes!

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2007, 04:19:31 pm »

Thats exactly why I'm changing out at three months now...I've been through a circ pump (while I was still under warranty).  Those circ pumps are not too expensive and very easy to swap out.

I think as the filter gets more discolored the water flow decreases but you at least know its doing its job.

I buy a years worth (four) of micro filters at a time for $60.00.

dax

• '07 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 08:36:28 am »
I buy a years worth (four) of micro filters at a time for $60.00.

Is that what your dealer sells them for?  Or do you get them somewhere on-line?  Thanks in advance!

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 11:42:15 am »

Is that what your dealer sells them for?  Or do you get them somewhere on-line?  Thanks in advance!

Thats from my dealer.  Now we are talking the Micro Clean 1 filter which is the small one micron filter and not the MC II filter which is the five micron used on the new 880 series.

dax

• '07 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 12:06:39 pm »
Thats from my dealer.  Now we are talking the Micro Clean 1 filter which is the small one micron filter and not the MC II filter which is the five micron used on the new 880 series.

Oh.  Thanks for the clarification.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 01:41:14 pm »
My dealer charges about $15 for the microfilter.  So I spend maybe 60 per year on them.  I just eat the cost as part of having the spa.  
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 01:41:14 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42