What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Moldy Smell  (Read 8479 times)

hottbpete

• Caldera Niagara
Moldy Smell
« on: October 15, 2007, 10:03:35 am »
I posted earlier in the year on this issue......and tried the comments but to no success :(

I have been diligent in changing and keep the water pristinne. Levels are excellant. The tub is used many times during the week.

My issue is that the cover has a mildew smell to it.  I have, as suggested, taken the cover off....let it really dry out and wash it with a diluted clorex wash.....did it and it smelled much better.....but within no time....moldy smell returns.  The water has no odor at all BTW.

Any thoughts?  

I am about to call my dealer and complain, but wanted to see if I culd just fix it mysef first.

Hot Tub Forum

Moldy Smell
« on: October 15, 2007, 10:03:35 am »

Pathfinder

Re: Moldy Smell
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 02:24:39 pm »
When you took the cover off did you take out the inserts and clean the inside of the cover as well, for that will be where your musty smell will come from.

C-MeToasty

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 03:35:33 pm »
Do you open the cover every couple of days for 5-10 minutes to let it air out?  If you get a moldy smell like I do than using LYSOL disenfectant spray on the inside of the cover preferably in the sun would be effective.  Do that with both sides and let it sit for 15 minutes and rub off well.  Also take inserts out and clean those.

hottbpete

• Caldera Niagara
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 04:28:33 pm »
INSERTS??????

Oh boy...I am still a newbie...I will go home tonight and try to find these inserts.  I did not know that the top came apart!!!  What an idiot!! :D

Thanks-I will try

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 06:16:58 pm »
Do you let the water sit on the suface a while?

All solutions need time to work. The longer the better. If you use bleach, let it sit for 5 seconds and wash it off - it isn't doing anything. I tend to wipe it down and let it dry itself, that gives the bleach at least 10 minutes doing it's killing.

hottbpete

• Caldera Niagara
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 09:54:24 am »
It's amazing when you stop the drinking and look at the cover!!!!! :o

There is a zipper...I guess there are inserts.....this looks like a job for the weekend.  

Thanks for the tip. :)

hottbpete

• Caldera Niagara
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 04:28:55 pm »
Holy Cow......That was not easy.

So I took out the two pads of the cover. That was like taking off wet socks....

cleaned it and am letting them dry.  

My question...Does eveybody have to do this?  This is a major pain in the ass.  I also noticed that only one side of each pad and inside of the cover liner was dirty....and smelly. I also noticed it was the side that was on the inside.  There are 4-6 grommets that allow for ater to get in the top....is this normal.

My tub and cover are less then one year old.

any help would be apprecated

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2007, 07:48:46 pm »
Holy Cow......That was not easy.

So I took out the two pads of the cover. That was like taking off wet socks....

cleaned it and am letting them dry.  

My question...Does eveybody have to do this?  This is a major pain in the ass.  I also noticed that only one side of each pad and inside of the cover liner was dirty....and smelly. I also noticed it was the side that was on the inside.  There are 4-6 grommets that allow for ater to get in the top....is this normal.

My tub and cover are less then one year old.

any help would be apprecated

I've never taken my inserts out.  I always feared not getting them back in.  I have found that when my cover gets a funky smell, it is because I'm a little low on the sanitizer even though my water looks good.  I bump up the chlorine level and it goes away.  I have cleaned the inside with bleach, etc with no real change.

Repeat_Offender

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2007, 09:29:35 pm »
I had a slight mildew smell as well and decided to change the filters. Even though they still looked great and were cleaned every two weeks, they were 16 months old. New filters and the smell is gone.
Bullfrog 562

hottbpete

• Caldera Niagara
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2007, 10:02:22 am »
well....they are out and now I have to get them back in what fun!!!

Interseting comment about "even when the water is clean....put a little more chlorine in.

I sometimes find that the if we do not use the tub for a few days....the chlorine level is very low....so I can see why this would help.

I will also try that.  Cleaning this thing will not do.....there are 4-6 grommet holes and water is going to get in......so the chlorine tip may be the one!!

Thanks

Pete

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2007, 10:13:21 am »
The grommet holes are for water to get OUT. Otherwise the cover would fill up with water.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2007, 10:16:03 am »
well....they are out and now I have to get them back in what fun!!!

Interseting comment about "even when the water is clean....put a little more chlorine in.

I sometimes find that the if we do not use the tub for a few days....the chlorine level is very low....so I can see why this would help.

I will also try that.  Cleaning this thing will not do.....there are 4-6 grommet holes and water is going to get in......so the chlorine tip may be the one!!

Thanks

Pete

Your nose can be a good indicator of when your water is going to start to turn.  The odor finds its way into the underside of the cover.

hottbpete

• Caldera Niagara
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2007, 05:47:49 pm »
The extra chlorine and a good cleaning did the trick.  I was getting chlorine loss....so I now am checking it or using it everyday......and....no more smell!

Thanks for the help. :)

TubsAndCues

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2007, 08:54:47 pm »
One other trick I've found that keeps the smell away is to make sure you are leaving your cover off for at least 1/2 hour when you shock.  This will also extend the life of your cover.

We also sell a product called Bio-Clean that is a spray cleaner (I think it's an enzyme based, but I don't have it right in front of me).  The stuff works wonders for killing organic materials that can leave moldy/musty smells on covers if you are still having the problem.

Also, I've found that it works great on pet and food stains on carpets, so I keep a bottle at my house for lots of cleaning projects.

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2007, 08:41:49 am »
I found that once in a while I get that smell. I found that if I was not using the tub all of the time, water was sitting on the lip and going stale.  I just rinsed it after use and after I shocked and this did the trick.

I too agree, leave the lid off while shocking, it helps to release the gases and odour build up from the water.  Just my 2 cents.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2007, 08:41:49 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42