What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Am I out of line?  (Read 3812 times)

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
Am I out of line?
« on: November 08, 2007, 04:02:57 pm »
I had a lady call up today wanting us to go out and take a look at her spa and see what it would be worth on trade so she could decide whether to move it to her new house or trade in for a new spa and avoid moving the one she has.

The spa was in good shape, but it needed some items- a few new air and diverter valves (not completely needed, but when selling a used tub I've found it's best to have everything absolutely perfect to avoid hassle), a new service door, a new cover, a new pillow, a few new slats in the cabinet, and stain to make the new ones match up.

She was looking at a new TX or Jetsetter.  I explained that with the cost of the materials and labor, and the fact that she was trading down I wouldn't be able to offer as much as she wanted.  I leveled my offer at 1/3 the price she paid four years ago.

She laughed and said my offer was 'offensive.'  She said that if they depreciated that much in value then why should she ever get another one?  Logic seemed to fail with this woman when I suggested that if she sold it outright she could get more money for it from a person than a dealer.

Am I out of line to offer her a guaranteed 1/3 what she paid for a tub that is soon out of warranty if she traded it for another spa?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 04:05:51 pm by giraffeattheoasis »

Hot Tub Forum

Am I out of line?
« on: November 08, 2007, 04:02:57 pm »

C-MeToasty

Re: Am I out of line?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 04:12:39 pm »
Absolutely not, however I would recommend putting an add into the classified to optimize the amount for her tub and offer her a free delivery of the old tub to the new owner if she purchases a new one from us.  Sound good?  Good

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 04:15:22 pm »
You did fine.  I tell folks we can give them X amount and we will try and sell it for Y, just like if they were trading in a car.  Then I offer to give their name, number, and info to people that are interested in used spas and they can work out whatever deal they want.  I sold a Vista for a lady after her husband got sick and she gave me $600 for my trouble.  Then her husband died.  She was a nice lady.

Term
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 04:38:16 pm »
She will possibly go to another dealer and there she will learn you were being fair when they offer about the same (or less since its not one of their own). You're only issue is you'd prefer she wasn't on another dealer's floor when she learned you were being straight with her but I'm sure you were professional and that's all you can do.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 04:50:24 pm »
Man, were you out of line! >:(

How dare you only offer her 1/3 the price of a tub when clearly it's worth full price. We all know that items don't depreciate that much and why wouldn't you give her money back from buying a lesser tub from you! I think you should call her back and give her 150% of what she paid for it!!!

OK OK - Just kidding!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D If that's the going rate, then that's it. As was said, selling privately is not trading in and there will still be work needed as you said. People don't realize an older item of whatever may be as good as new to them but it is not new.

I drive my cars until they are old, I always have a newish car around for long trips as I personally feel comfortable taking really long trips in a car with 100,000 + miles on it - I don't work on cars so I would be stuck. For me a 10+ YO car with high milage is great for commuting and there is no need to have payments to commute 30 mies one way (I don't even commute that), for me the car is as good as new.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 11:16:18 pm »
Some women tend to become emotional with personal transactions--I live with a full house of women. I would have told her to pound salt.  :)

You did the right thing...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 11:16:35 pm by Gomboman »
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

tinybubbles

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 10:20:30 am »
I think she was being ridiculous.  Why do people buy used tubs in the first place?  They are sooooooo much cheaper than new spas.  It's not like spas are sold as an investment.  Even if you offered her a dollar, that shouldn't offend her.  You are in business and you were making a financial decisions.  It's not like you called her fat!  The fact that you are questioning your decision, shows that you care about your customers.  Hey goom, get one of those women you live with to smack you upside the head for your comment. ;)

Honorable

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 02:03:17 pm »
When it all comes down to the bottom line, you are there to sell tubs.  Most people come in to your shop to buy a NEW tub.  

I think she didn't realize that it may be worth $5000 (for instance) if she sold it herself, but if it's valued at $5000, you'd need to buy it at $4000, in order to cover your costs of moving, storing, repairing, etc..  even less if you actually want to make money on the transaction.

To even consider a "trade in" really is an offer IMO.  There's so much at risk if there's a bad pump, small crack in the shell, leaks etc..

D.P. Roberts

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007, 05:21:35 pm »
I don't see why spas "ought" to hold their value better. Cars are one of the few items that are frequently resold and retain significant value - almost everything else you can buy loses value drastically. For example, there are lots of good manufacturers of kitchen appliances, electronics, etc., and yet no one would shell out good money for a used one. For example, how many people would pay "half the original retail price" for a three year old refrigerator, even if it was from the best brand out there? It just doesn't happen.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2007, 06:35:13 pm »
IMO you were right on target with your one third offer.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2007, 06:35:13 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42