What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: hot smell-dealer's response  (Read 4656 times)

IlliniFan

hot smell-dealer's response
« on: November 07, 2007, 09:31:09 pm »
The spa installer/repair came today to install lift and check out the warm smell.  He found nothing amiss.  He asked if I filled tub with a vinyl hose.  He thinks that there is enough vinyl residue in the water, to make the smell as water is heating.  Don't know if I buy that or not.  Interesting theory.

Hot Tub Forum

hot smell-dealer's response
« on: November 07, 2007, 09:31:09 pm »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: hot smell-dealer's response
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 07:41:50 am »
Sounds like a WAG to me.   (Wild A*s Guess).

I suppose it's plausible.  If the smell goes away in a few days, I wouldn't worry about it.  Did the hose come from China?  
Brewman

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 07:58:14 am »
Did he take the skirt off at all?  The hot tub's not yours!  ;)  My background is Electronic Engineering and things with electricity can put out smells.  Nothing beats the nose for tracking it down to its source. Once the source is known its easy to figure out if its a problem or not.  Are you inviting the team over Sunday? Hopefully they are going to need the hot tub after Saturday  ;D

Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

C-MeToasty

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 08:54:06 am »
If the hose is from China than we may have lead problems.  Does the water smell like LED???  lol

loosenupspas

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 09:10:11 am »
Some times when i hook up new tubs on my showroom floor, I detect what I call the new hot tub smell.  I have taken the cabinets apart looked all over and found nothing to be overheating or improper.  I spoke at length with engineering as i sreached for a source, but really could not put my hand on anything specific.  I think when the system first energizes it can give off an odor, which vaguely electrical.  I think the new spa smell is something to consider,  it will go away.  Also in my showroom, which is closed in, odors are intensified as there is no place for them to dissipate.  But remember the nose knows......if the smell presists..... have another look at it.  It sounds like your dealer is responsive and concerned, which is a good thing....stay in touch with them.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 10:39:11 am »
I know sometimes it is just that new electric  smell, but you can never be too careful...My sister and my husband decided that I needed fog lights on my suv. My oldest son was about 1 1/2 and I was very pregnant with my second son. So together they wired these wonderful fog lights (they didn't even need the instructions  ;)). I mean who better to know how to wire something like this...a microbiologist and a well meaning sister with no electrical experience?  I was dropping my 1 1/2 year old off at the babysitters on the way to work...very happy with my new fog lights when I detected that very smell...a new rubbery-electric smell. I thought it was probably just the new wiring until smoke started pouring from under the steering wheel. :o :o.The covering of the wires actually caught fire..Not a fun thing to try to grab a kid and evacuate the car with a huge belly!! I was smart enough to hit the switch and the fire was limited to the wires. I never discount that smell anymore...And I never let my husband or sister wire ANYTHING ... ;D ;D ::)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Doobiewah

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 10:58:08 am »
Sounds like a WAG to me.   (Wild A*s Guess).   

I agree....as a former GM at a large auto repair facility, I find it hard to go by the 'vinyl hose' theory.  As some have said, there can be a residual odor from initial start-up as some residual chemicals/coating burn off new wires  (I saw that a lot, especially on certain electrical re-manufactured parts...and the smell would go away in a short period of time), but the hose theory truly sounds out there...  Next thing you know, we'll be blaming the odor on Bush and Global warming.... ;D

The Doob  
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 10:58:45 am by Doobiewah »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 11:35:27 am »
I gave my $0.02 before and here's another of my $0.02. And since this is the internet it might equal exactly what it's worth - nothing LOL.

It is quite possible it is a new smell and as you used it it is gone. I am extremely paranoid to have anything running when I am not at home except the usual items - refrig, AC and whatever is plugged in. I always unplug the tub! ;) ;D J.K. If at this point the smell is gone - don't wory about it ... if the smell is still lingering, I'd be concerned.

Most new stuff either has a new smell (new car smell) or if it heats up a possible burning smell (forced air heat starting up for the first winter heat or a new crock pot). The smell does go away and everything is fine. The story that Boni gave is a good example of a bad thing, I just recently had a TV start smoking with no other signs of problems.

FWIW, I repair medical equipment and one troubleshooting technique is smelling.

Doobiewah

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 11:43:25 am »
IFWIW, I repair medical equipment and one troubleshooting technique is smelling.

Vinny,  How right you are.  My best auto mechanics also had the best noses!  They had the best repair records and the fewest comebacks!

The Doob

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 12:30:48 pm »

Vinny,  How right you are.  My best auto mechanics also had the best noses!  They had the best repair records and the fewest comebacks!

The Doob

I agree, and in loosenup's case, not finding anything is as significant, even if just for reassurance.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 12:51:21 pm »
 Vinyl hose smell ::) Don't think so.    Its normal.   For the tech even to suggest that, cracks me up!!

IlliniFan

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2007, 09:10:33 pm »
I thought the vinyl hose was a bit of a stretch too, but he checked and found nothing.  And over time it is going away.  I didn't smell anything last night, although it was windy.  Hopefully Ohio will need a hot tub more than ILlinois.  We are hoping that the Buckeyes just kind of overlook us while they are thinking Michigan.

Doobiewah

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2007, 09:25:37 pm »
 Hopefully Ohio will need a hot tub more than ILlinois.  We are hoping that the Buckeyes just kind of overlook us while they are thinking Michigan.

Sorry to say, I don't think that will happen.... :(

The Doob

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2007, 07:43:32 am »
Hopefully Ohio will need a hot tub more than ILlinois.  We are hoping that the Buckeyes just kind of overlook us while they are thinking Michigan.

Not likely, that wouldn't be like a Tressel team, and the fact that last year Illinois, who was unranked, almost beat them. I think last year's performance will keep them from sneaking up on thim this year.  I think they will be ready for them and an Illinois win is not out of the question, but hopefully not likely.  Ron Zook seems like a great recruiter so Illinois should get better every year. This game could be a program builder for them.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2007, 07:45:20 am »

Not likely, that wouldn't be like a Tressel team, and the fact that last year Illinois, who was unranked, almost beat them. I think last year's performance will keep them from sneaking up on thim this year.  I think they will be ready for them and an Illinois win is not out of the question, but hopefully not likely.  Ron Zook seems like a great recruiter so Illinois should get better every year. This game could be a program builder for them.

Its kind of funny to mention Ohio State and hot tubs.   My now infamous dealer was famous for getting former Coach John Cooper in a hot tub commercial.  That was supposedly the beginning of the end for him here in Columbus.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2007, 07:45:20 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42