What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cleaning Tri-X Filters  (Read 8016 times)

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
Cleaning Tri-X Filters
« on: October 19, 2007, 12:47:49 pm »
It's hard to believe but I've had my Envoy for two years now. I've never used any type of filter cleaner before--just water. I usually clean the filters with a high pressure washer. I've also used the dish washer a few times. They always come out pearly white.

Anyway, I'm sure it's time to use an actual filter cleaner this time. There are a ton of different cleaners out there. What type of cleaner and method do you prefer that will be compatible with my Tri-X filters? I don't have any spare filters.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 12:49:19 pm by Gomboman »
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Hot Tub Forum

Cleaning Tri-X Filters
« on: October 19, 2007, 12:47:49 pm »

Brookenstein

Re: Cleaning Tri-X Filters
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 12:52:45 pm »
I've soaked the one filter on the circ pump once, but the mixture ate a whole out of my 5 lb bucket and leaked all over... so I never used it again on the other filers.  I use the spray on filter cleaner every 3-6 months or so.  I should probably buy another bucket and try the soak method again, but...

I use whatever brand came with my tub... but I did just by some spray on cleaner from doc.  If he's got more than one brand I bought whatever was cheapest.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 02:42:34 pm »
Our customers use the Freshwater brand which we get from Hot Spring.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 06:40:19 pm »
I like the Freshwater granular filter cleaner.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 07:19:56 pm »
Thanks giraffeattheoasis and hottubdan. I purchased a 2 lb. container of the Fresh Water Filter cleaner today from my HS dealer. The salesman told me to put the entire container in a large plastic trash can with 5 gallons of water. He said to put all five filters into the trash can and let soak over night.

Is this the best method to clean all five filters at once or should I use a different method?

Thanks in advance.......

« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 07:21:18 pm by Gomboman »

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

kokanee001

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2007, 02:41:25 am »
I have tri-x filterrs for my HS Vanguard. Just put them in the DW w/o soap and let 'em wash in plain water. Seem to turn out clean.
I only soaked my previous regular filters in a cleaning solution This was tiresome which is why I got the tri-x filters.
Someone please tell me if I am doing this wrong. Should I be pre-treating the tri-x filters before sticking them into the DW?

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 07:29:08 am »
First I hose the filters off to get any stuff off/out.
Then I load up my soap dispensers with Cascade.
I just take them right from the DW to the tub--I've never had a problem!

Gomboman--The one time I soaked them last year, I used an 18-gallon rubermaid bin and stacked them on top of each other.  I soaked them for at least 24 hours, so I had plenty of time to switch them around to make sure they were immersed in the cleaner.  Wear rubber gloves!  When I was done, I poured the solution into a 5-gallon bucket, labeled it with the contents and the date I used it, and it is in the basement by the wash tub.  I need to use it again before winter.
2005 HS Vanguard

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2007, 11:03:00 am »
First I hose the filters off to get any stuff off/out.
Then I load up my soap dispensers with Cascade.
I just take them right from the DW to the tub--I've never had a problem!

Gomboman--The one time I soaked them last year, I used an 18-gallon rubermaid bin and stacked them on top of each other.  I soaked them for at least 24 hours, so I had plenty of time to switch them around to make sure they were immersed in the cleaner.  Wear rubber gloves!  When I was done, I poured the solution into a 5-gallon bucket, labeled it with the contents and the date I used it, and it is in the basement by the wash tub.  I need to use it again before winter.

Thanks Kervis. Yes, cleaning all five of the filters in an 18 gallon container seems like a PITA. I was told only to use the rince cycle with the dishwasher. Is Cascade different than other dish wasing detergents? This sounds like a better option.

Are there any HS dealers out there that do not recomend this idea for some reason?

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2007, 11:23:10 am »
Thanks giraffeattheoasis and hottubdan. I purchased a 2 lb. container of the Fresh Water Filter cleaner today from my HS dealer. The salesman told me to put the entire container in a large plastic trash can with 5 gallons of water. He said to put all five filters into the trash can and let soak over night.

Is this the best method to clean all five filters at once or should I use a different method?

Thanks in advance.......

Gombo--

did you read the instructions or are you relying on a slick salesman who wants to sell you more product? ;)

Label says to use 1# which is half the container for 5 gallons of water.

We recommend using a rubbermade type container so you can lay the filters down.

Make sense?
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Flyonthewall

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2007, 02:41:21 pm »
its worth the effort to deep clean those filters.  it buys a good chunk of extra use on the back end of their lifespan.  make sure you hose the solution out extra thoroughly so you don't get suds in your fresh spa water.  below i will paste some regular cleaning info. (no cascade!)

Cleaning Procedures

Tri-X Filters should be cleaned as required to maintain water clarity.  The frequency and duration of use, and the number of occupants, all contribute to determining the appropriate time between filter cleanings.  The more frequent the use, the more frequent filter cleanings are required.

•      Once a month, the Tri-X Filter may be placed into the dishwasher to remove surface debris.  Place the Tri-X filter in the dishwasher with no soap and ensure the drying cycle is turned off.  Dishwasher detergents and rinse agents, such as Jet Dry, can be harmful if used while cleaning the filter in the dishwasher.

•      To maintain crystal clear water we recommend cleaning the Tri-X filter using a filter degreaser, such as Leisure Time Filter Clean, to remove minerals and oil buildup every time you drain or refill your spa.

WARNING: Do not use the spa with the filter cartridges, or standpipe(s) removed!

kokanee001

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2007, 10:32:52 pm »
Thanx, all. Sounds like I'm doing it alright. Except, I may take your advice and use a grease/mineral cleaner on them every 3-4 months when I change the water in the tub.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2007, 12:11:57 am »

Gombo--

did you read the instructions or are you relying on a slick salesman who wants to sell you more product? ;)

Label says to use 1# which is half the container for 5 gallons of water.

We recommend using a rubbermade type container so you can lay the filters down.

Make sense?

Yep, my slick salesman told me to disregard the instructions and use a double dose--2 pounds per 5 gallons of water. That's why I started the thread.

Thanks hottubdan. I'll stick to the instructions on the container. I'm a cheap b@stard so this should help.... :)

What do you think of the Cascade procedure? I'm sure the filter cleaner will work much better.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 12:26:12 am by Gomboman »

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2007, 12:42:04 am »
OK, this is what I was looking for. I like the flask that Chas described in an older post. I think I'll make one out of PVC pipe. This will be great for doing one filter at a time.

Hey, what ever happened to Tatooed_Lady? I liked her....

http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1168559533/15

« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 12:52:45 am by Gomboman »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2007, 01:18:32 am »
OK, this is what I was looking for. I like the flask that Chas described in an older post. I think I'll make one out of PVC pipe. This will be great for doing one filter at a time.

Hey, what ever happened to Tatooed_Lady? I liked her....

http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1168559533/15

I use a fiter flask.  It definitely makes cleaning filters managable...but I only have to clean one filter.

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2007, 10:28:08 am »
Hey Gomboman,

I'm coming up on my first anniversary with my Envoy.  Time sure flies!  With both this tub and my old tub, I usually alternate between a  spray rinse or dishwasher cycle on a monthly basis depending on how cold it is outside.

The filters get soaked in the Freshwater solution (1/2 container to 5 gal) with a dishwasher cycle finish about every six months.  I have used the dishwasher both with and without the detergent, but if it's when I have just soaked them, it's probably overkill.  I don't treat the Tri-Ex filters any differently then the pleat filters in my old tub.

Cautions about the Dishwasher:
1.  TURN HEAT DRY CYCLE OFF.
2.  Do not use the dishwasher if you usually add the Jet-Dry or other "no streak" chemical to the dispenser in the door of the machine. (you can't shut it off)
3.  Do not use a dishwasher detergent that already has the Jet Dry or "no streak" chemical in it.

I have only had a problem with the dishwasher method one time which resulted in tons of bubbles in the tub.  I think I figured out that rinsing the previous load of dishs with a sponge and sink soap as the machine was loaded had left a bit of the soap in the dishwasher.  Now I run the dishwasher through a quick rinse cycle before washing the filters.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 10:36:31 am by Richs100 »
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2007, 10:28:08 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42