What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: first soak questions  (Read 3801 times)

IlliniFan

first soak questions
« on: November 03, 2007, 10:30:15 pm »
The filter cover does not "snap" into place and seems loose.  Is this the way it fits, or am I installing it incorrectly?  Also noticed a warm electric wire smell.  Not real strong, but caught a whiff occasionally.  Any thoughts?  Thanks all.

Hot Tub Forum

first soak questions
« on: November 03, 2007, 10:30:15 pm »

Brookenstein

Re: first soak questions
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 10:48:54 pm »
I am paranoid by nature, that is just me... but I do not recall any smell when I started up my tub.  I would be tempted to shut it off until I got confirmation that everything was hooked up right.  But then again some new products (heaters and whatnot) have that funny smell when they are turned on for the first time.  If it were me, if that smell does not go away quick or gets worse at all I would turn it off.

Sorry I'm not much help.

Congrats on the new tub!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 10:49:33 pm by Brookenstein »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 07:53:53 am »
My cover just sits there with it's 2 nubs inside the 2 holes for it - doesn't snap.

As for the electrical smell - not a good thing. It is usually an indication that wires are heating up. As Brooke said some electrical equipment such as heaters, crock pots and the like do give off a funny smell when new but that's because of the heating element but a tub's heating element is not exposed.

Was the correct guage wire used for the install? Are all the connections tight? It could also be a bad component on the board or a pump.

I agree that I would have it checked out.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 08:27:14 am »
On the contrary of my buddy Vinny,
I had the same type of smell when I first starting using my spa. I wasn't to concerned about it as it only lasted for a little while and the smell was a familar one that I had smelled before with other electrical equipment. Unless your tub starts actin funny or if for some reason the smell just doesn't go away, do not worry about it. Maybe it's a Jacuzzi thing..........................

Happy soakin,

Chad
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 06:14:58 pm by WHY_NOT »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 08:19:31 pm »
If your hair stands on end  :o and you get the 220 twitch, you'll know  it isn't a Jacuzzi thing  :-/ I agree with Brooke and Vinny, have it checked out.
Support your dealer so they can support you!

IlliniFan

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 07:47:04 am »
Smell almost undetectable last night for second soak.  Just to be safe dealer coming out to check on Tuesday.  Electrician has used correct wiring.  thanks for all comments. slept good after soak. 8)

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 10:42:17 am »
Sometimes with many different electrical items that are NEW, you may detect a slight burn smell. If you have the right gauge wire and proper breaker you should be fine. As you mentioned after running the tub for the first time the smell is almost gone, could just be a little burn in of something...something that is totally normal.

sonofsail

• Hi Y'all
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 09:51:30 pm »
I had the same smell during first soak.  2007 Sundance Optima.  It went away.  Filter cover just sits there, does not snap in.   Enjoy!!
"Growing older but not up..."

IlliniFan

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 09:56:54 pm »
Thanks everyone!  Dealer is coming out, but he is not too concerned.  But he is bringing my steps and installing cover lifter anyhow.  So far I have been really pleased with the dealer with the one exception of explaining chemicals.  I am using Reserve and Renew, but he just started selling it, so is not very knowledgeable.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 10:02:42 am »
Thanks everyone!  Dealer is coming out, but he is not too concerned.  But he is bringing my steps and installing cover lifter anyhow.  So far I have been really pleased with the dealer with the one exception of explaining chemicals.  I am using Reserve and Renew, but he just started selling it, so is not very knowledgeable.

That is what you have us for.  My dealer (RIP, or is it RIJ) was great about his equipment, as for chems he knew little and only sold what had the best profit margin.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 10:07:31 am by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

IlliniFan

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 09:46:38 pm »
Going to the ball game?  Should be a great one.  Congratulations on your team!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 09:46:38 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42