What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Music in the tub  (Read 3294 times)

IlliniFan

Music in the tub
« on: October 23, 2007, 09:02:14 pm »
We did not put stereo in our spa.  Any suggestions for speakers that can be used outdoors?  How do most of you set up sound systems?

Hot Tub Forum

Music in the tub
« on: October 23, 2007, 09:02:14 pm »

H823Putt

• My backyard oassis
Re: Music in the tub
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 09:28:06 pm »
My spa has a stereo which I use at times when I am in it but I also have outdoor speakers hooked to my house stereo.  My spa is about 40 ft from my house so when I want tol listen to CD's in the spa(radio reception by me is not the greatest) I use the spa stereo(don't want to blast out the neighbors late at night or early in the morning)  ;)  Plus it is easier to chnge songs and CD's from in the spa instead of having to get out and go into the house all wet.

I use my outdoor speakers hooked up to my home stero during Bar-B-Q's, working in the yard or swimming in the pool.

magoomba

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 10:21:00 pm »
I've had these Polk outdoor speakers for the last four years:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Polk-Outdoor-Speakers-White-ATRIUM45WHITE/sem/rpsm/oid/50672/catOid/-12950/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

The sound quality is very, very good.  Someone recommended I mount them underneath an eve/overhang, if possible.  Fortunately, I was able to do that, and it definitely helps to richen the bass.

I'm a self-proclaimed "audiophile", but I don't pretend to be able to discern between the highest end speakers.  I can, however, tell the difference between quality and crap, and these speakers are excellent, and even better at 1/2 the price of bose, jbl, et. al.

I use them any time I'm out in the yard, entertaining or doing yard work, etc.  They sound great at both low and high volumes.

IlliniFan

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 10:56:48 pm »
thanks, these speakers look nice.  Reviews were good, too.  Price is great!  I will check them out.

mark 2550

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 11:33:34 pm »
For 1/4 of the price of those speakers a simple boom box will do justice and won't be to loud for the neighbors, nothing fancy but it will do what you need!!!

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 11:49:49 pm »
I have the FM/CD stereo in my Jacuzzi 370.  The speakers are mounted on two opposing corners of the tub.   This is VERY good for keeping the sound down to a "reasonable" levels most of the time.  Sound quality is "acceptable" when you consider that the jets make enough noise to prevent any quality listening.  I also have a pair of large high quality "Near AEL 1.6's" (All Environment Loudspeakers) that use metal driver technology and are rated down to something like -80 below zero.  About 5 years ago, they were around $600 for the pair but are probably similar to the Polks mentioned above.  I ONLY use them while working in the yard and NEVER while in the tub.  I have a complete system control of the whole house system through them but they are completely impractical in the tub.  With the built in unit I can change from CD to FM and change channels all while sitting in the tub.  In order to do that with the whole house audio, I would have to integrate a floating wireless remote to my tub (Planned but never got around to doing it).  
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 11:50:28 pm by ndabunka »
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 10:00:44 am »
For 1/4 of the price of those speakers a simple boom box will do justice and won't be to loud for the neighbors, nothing fancy but it will do what you need!!!

Or you could just hold a 9 volt transistor radio up to one ear.  

Mark, I'm gonna take a wild stab here......
You are not a professional music critic, right?   ;D ;)
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

hottbpete

• Caldera Niagara
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 10:14:07 am »
I have these outside my house:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=302-104&CFID=12325482&CFTOKEN=21283221

these are TIC outdoor rock speakers.  They sound great and they can stay outside all year.  

One tip for outside music....install a outside volume control:
here is a link to one:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=302-216&CFID=12325482&CFTOKEN=21283221

This will allow you to manage the volume from near the tub....not inside the house.

tinybubbles

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 12:50:10 pm »
We paid $100 bucks for outdoor wireless speakers from Sharper Image.  We have them hooked up to our satellite box inside the house.  Right now, we just sit them on the corners of the tub.  We can either listen to the audio from a tv station or we listen to one of the satellite music stations.  Right now we have a tv inside a basement window.  We just raise and lower the blind when we want to watch.  My hubby bought the speakers at Linens and Things.

IlliniFan

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 09:31:14 pm »
Thanks for all the great suggestions!  I got to check these out!

tinybubbles

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 10:56:00 am »
A little helpful hint.  My outdoor speakers came with a remote, but I'm not sure how waterproof it is.  I just put it in a little ziplock bag and then I don't worry about sitting it on the edge of the tub or using it with wet hands.  It's nice to have to turn the volume up or down when we turn the jets on or off.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 10:56:00 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42