What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Expanding the deck for spa:  please advise  (Read 4882 times)

solo

Expanding the deck for spa:  please advise
« on: October 18, 2007, 04:48:28 pm »
I wanted to put down a spa pad or a cement pad.  Wife suggested expanding the deck.  Seems like a neat idea and really has been her only input throughout the whole spa buying process.  So we are gettign a quote today on a deck expansion.

I know that the deck needs to be built to hold 125 pounds per square inch.

But do you have any suggestions?  Build the spa into the deck?  Sit the spa on a platform and build decking around it?  What do you think?  Also, what things should I keep in mind if we go this route?  I want the spa to be accessible if it needs service.  Looking for some good ideas or insights.

Hot Tub Forum

Expanding the deck for spa:  please advise
« on: October 18, 2007, 04:48:28 pm »

BauerN

• "...to feel is to believe."
Re: Expanding the deck for spa:  please advise
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 07:30:04 pm »
Trapdoor the width of the equipment compartment will typically solve most access issues.
Don't forget to leave some sort of access for draining, as well.
If you do build the spa into the deck (or decking around the spa), I would recommend gravel (3/4" crushed rock is best).  This is easier to get done (frame in with appropriate height lumber or Trex), less costly, and provides better drainage than concrete pads do.
Bullfrog Spas Dealer.  Raising the bar for customer service.

D.P. Roberts

Re: Expanding the deck for spa:  please advis
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 09:18:32 pm »
We put the spa on a pad, sunk halfway down into the deck. This height really is ideal - the seat/step inside the tub will be the same height as the deck, so you're not stepping down into the spa. We built removable panels around the spa so we could get to the equipment if necessary. I really liked this setup.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
Re: Expanding the deck for spa:  please advis
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 11:29:14 pm »
Definitely need to place it into the deck if you can.  Spa first, then  build the deck around it otherwise you may have to pay someone to hoist the tub into the finished hole in the deck.  Some others have placed their spa on their deck but unless you have a really big deck (say 40x40), the size of the spa would overwhelm most 12x14 or even 15x20 decks IMHO.
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Repeat_Offender

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 06:55:57 am »
Built mine off the corner of the deck on a cement pad about 18" above deck level. I think it's the best combination to maintain deck area and still have the spa feel integral.
Bullfrog 562

solo

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 10:02:48 am »
After a lot of thought, I think I may just have the deck buy build a wood pad, say 12X12, and bring a set of steps off the existing deck down to the the pad.  That way delivery is easy, access is easy for repair and drainage, etc.  It will also cost a lot less than what the deck guy wanted to do.  He wanted to expand the deck and sink the tub half way into the deck, setting the spa on a wood pad.  While very neat, I see this as potentially creating problems with service and making the delivery much more difficult while costing more.  

Sometimes the simple solution is just as good as the complex.  What do you think?

Lars

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 11:38:33 am »
I put mine on the deck and then built a surround.

Reason being when I get a different spa, it doesn't have to fit in a hole in the deck, I can just modify the surround, which is a heck of a lot easier.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 12:00:01 pm »
Wow, we don't have wood decks in my area for some reason. Everything here is stamped or colored concrete. Can some of you folks post pictures of your decks with sunken spas? Thanks in advance.....
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Tonyf

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 12:38:46 pm »
We are having our Caldera C-45 Spa delivered next week (7'5" x 7'5" x 38". A friend and I just build an 8' x 10' platform that wil allow the spa to be slid up next to the existing deck. The platform height was made so the tub is about 14" higher than the exisiting deck so you can sit on the side of the spa to get into it. I am cutting a 6' railing section in half and putting hinges on it so the dogs won't walk out onto the spa when covered.

The platform was built using 4 x 6's with 2 x 10's for joists. A 4x 6 was put in at each corner and in the middle at 5' on the long side and at 4' in the middle on the 8' side. I put a 4 x 6' in the center and ran double 1 x 10 joists on that. The deck is made of 2 x 6 x 10's  all presure treated wood. I made the platform longer parallel to the exisiting deck so I could put 3 stairs from the ground to the platform and then will have the plastic stairs on the platform the enter it that way. So we will have access from two sides. It took us 2 1/2 days to build it. 1/2 day to lay out the location of the holes,rented a post hole digger for 2 hrs, and put sackrete in each hole to cure overnight. (you could also use just stone). It took one day to put int the posts and do the frame and the second day to do the balance and deck.

I had another spa about 18 years ago that was sunk into the deck. The new platform was chosen so we have a better view from the spa without the house and deck furniture  blocking our view.
Tony

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 12:38:46 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42