What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Water chemistry:  please give me the basics  (Read 6736 times)

solo

Water chemistry:  please give me the basics
« on: October 17, 2007, 08:04:41 am »
When my tub arrives, it will have a circ pump with CD ozone.  It will also have the Nature 2 Silver Ion cartridge.  

I plan to use it probably once a day for about 30 minutes each day.  My chemical of choice is Dichlor.  I don't wish to use too much chemical as this can be hard on the spa and your skin and a waste of money.  I don't wish to use too little chemical as I don't want to have water issues.

So considering all of thre above, how often would you:

1.  Check and clean filters

2.  Add dichlor

3.  Shock

4.  Anything else  

Feel free to list how often you would ideally do these things as well as a minimum amount that you could probably safely get by with.  Thanks in advance.

Hot Tub Forum

Water chemistry:  please give me the basics
« on: October 17, 2007, 08:04:41 am »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: Water chemistry:  please give me the basics
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 09:57:25 am »
Your questions are why you buy from a reputable local dealer.  They should be able to answer.  Ask them.  Then post your understanding and we can comment.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 10:40:47 am »
When my tub arrives, it will have a circ pump with CD ozone.  It will also have the Nature 2 Silver Ion cartridge.  

I plan to use it probably once a day for about 30 minutes each day.  My chemical of choice is Dichlor.  I don't wish to use too much chemical as this can be hard on the spa and your skin and a waste of money.  I don't wish to use too little chemical as I don't want to have water issues.

So considering all of thre above, how often would you:

1.  Check and clean filters

2.  Add dichlor

3.  Shock

4.  Anything else  

Feel free to list how often you would ideally do these things as well as a minimum amount that you could probably safely get by with.  Thanks in advance.

Hi, solo, and congrats!

Some answers/opinions for you...
1.  Get a second set of filters and alternate between the 2 sets.  Letting the "off" set dry after rinsing seems to prolong the filters.  Rotate and rinse every week to 2 weeks for ease of cleaning but don't go longer than a month.

2.  Add dichlor after each soak.  I use 2 tsp. for my 450 gal. tub.  "Spare the dichlor, spoil the tub".

3.  Get a Taylor test kit and shock when your combined chlorine approaches .5 ppm.  Or shock every couple of weeks.  Use either dichlor or MPS...dichlor will superchlorinate as well as shock, MPS will shock and will allow you to re-enter quicker than dichlor.  Use either depending on future soaks.

4.  Use 303 on your cover!  Don't use more chems than you need...if your water is good out of the tap, don't worry with mineral removers or anything other than pH balancing chems (soda ash, baking soda, dry acid).  Mix a spray bottle with 1/2 defoamer and 1/2 water and spritz on an as needed basis.  Don't worry about checking water balance more than once a week...it will be hard at first not to worry about it more often.  Upon initial fill, throw in a tbsp. of dichlor, let it heat up and jump right in!  Enjoy immensely!
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

tinybubbles

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 10:41:30 am »
Clean filters daily your first week, then monthly.  I got a scum line in the beginning, added a scum ball and that has worked great.  
I add dichlor each time I leave tub.  I, also, have circulation pump, ozonator and Nature 2.
Weekly shock with MPS.
Other than that, just enjoy.  
As for the dosage of dichlor, test alot at first.  Get your free chlorine up to 3-4 ppm after soaking and make sure it stays there for a couple hours.  Once you get the dosage right, just stick with it.  No need to test as often after that.  

bartyboy

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 11:05:18 am »
I have all the supplies you need ...just stop by the store...  303, Waterwand, Dichlor granules, both shocks, Nature2 carts, unicel filters  etc...   well you know what we stock in the store.  

Congratulations on the spa.

dax

• '07 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 11:15:15 am »
I add dichlor each time I leave tub.  I, also, have circulation pump, ozonator and Nature 2.
Weekly shock with MPS.

Hmmmm.  My dealer recommended that I add MPS after each soack and use dichlor weekly.  My tub alos has a ciruclator pump, upgraded ozonator, and a Sun Purity cartridge.

Repeat_Offender

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 11:34:18 am »
You have those two crossed.
Bullfrog 562

dax

• '07 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 11:36:23 am »
You have those two crossed.

Are you talking to me, or tinybubbles?

solo

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 11:41:18 am »
I have all the supplies you need ...just stop by the store...  303, Waterwand, Dichlor granules, both shocks, Nature2 carts, unicel filters  etc...   well you know what we stock in the store.  

Congratulations on the spa.

Will do Bart.  I enjoyed looking at your tubs and appreciated your time.  I took one last soak in yours and one last in the jacuzzi, and decided that the the J-365 was "the tub".  Nonetheless, your low pressure approach as well as your decision to only sell your product and not bash the others was appreciated.  My Jacuzzi rep took the same approach.

Gonna come by to get one of those filter cleaning nozzles to attach to the hose soon.

Cyn

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 11:58:42 am »

Hmmmm.  My dealer recommended that I add MPS after each soack and use dichlor weekly.  My tub alos has a ciruclator pump, upgraded ozonator, and a Sun Purity cartridge.

How can you keep a residual of 2-3ppm of FC if you don't add dichlor after your soaks?

Cyn

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 12:00:02 pm »
Solo--if anyone using your tub is a big user of lotions, etc., be sure and have them shower first...that really cuts down on a lot of water issues that seem to occur for first time tubbers.

solo

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2007, 12:16:03 pm »
Solo--if anyone using your tub is a big user of lotions, etc., be sure and have them shower first...that really cuts down on a lot of water issues that seem to occur for first time tubbers.

I will be the main user.   I do use muscle rubs like icy hot and ben gay to help manage my aches and pains.  I will need to try to soak before putting these on.   I also sweat a lot.  Much more than the average person.  So I expect that I may have to devote some time into figuring out a good water maintenance routine as I may soil a tub faster than the average bear.  

Thanks for the tip.

tinybubbles

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2007, 12:52:27 pm »
Dax, what your dealer recommended is what Zodiac suggests for use with N2.  But, it's not the only way to go.  You can use dichlor as your primary sanitizer and shock with MPS with N2.  You just don't want to use N2 with bromine.  For right now, I am more comfortable with the sanitizing power of chlorine.  

tinybubbles

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2007, 12:58:37 pm »
Dax, I forgot to mention, if you are interested go to N2's website.  If you read the manual, it will state that you can substitute dichlor for MPS.  

Lars

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2007, 03:07:22 pm »

Are you talking to me, or tinybubbles?

He was talking to you.

Think I saw you post that before and I just thought you got it backwards.

Add dichor after soak, shock with MPS weekly.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2007, 03:07:22 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42