What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: calcium hypochlorite?  (Read 13146 times)

sonofsail

• Hi Y'all
calcium hypochlorite?
« on: October 08, 2007, 08:45:40 pm »
Would there be a problem using calcium hypochlorite for sanitizing and shocking a hot tub.  I understand the pH issues.  Pros and cons?
"Growing older but not up..."

Hot Tub Forum

calcium hypochlorite?
« on: October 08, 2007, 08:45:40 pm »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
Re: calcium hypochlorite?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 06:57:34 am »
Would there be a problem using calcium hypochlorite for sanitizing and shocking a hot tub.  I understand the pH issues.  Pros and cons?

You will build up calcium levels quickly in the small volume of water in a tub.  Calcium stays with the water like CYA and does not evaporate out or get used up.

Vanguard

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 12:40:08 am »
Cal Hypo is a swimming pool product.  Not for use in spas.  As mentioned before, you will build calcium levels and cyanuric acid.  No need for this.  Just use Dichlor for your chlorine product.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

sonofsail

• Hi Y'all
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 10:29:47 am »
Cal hypo doesn't contain CYA.  I was trying to avoid the CYA build up do to using dichlor.  Too much calcium is probably a bigger worry.

Thanks for the help.

sonofsail

• Hi Y'all
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 10:31:36 am »
BYW  Tony,  My 2007 Optima is really nice.  I couldn't be happier.   I noticed you had an optima also...any regrets? :)

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 08:42:34 pm »
BYW  Tony,  My 2007 Optima is really nice.  I couldn't be happier.   I noticed you had an optima also...any regrets? :)

I absolutely love it.  Its all I expected and more.  I like the way they've updated the new spas.  It will give you years of enjoyment...no regrets.  ;)

C-MeToasty

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 02:31:31 pm »
You are better off using a lithium based chlorine like for pools to prevent chlorine lock (Extreme CA levels).  Lithium Hypochlorite works brilliantly.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 02:42:05 pm »
Lithium doesn't seem available in the States. Chlorine lock can happen but doesn't seem to be that prevelent but using chlorine without some CYA may corrode heaters and metal parts.

C-MeToasty

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 02:54:44 pm »
Lithium is sold in the states!  (SEABOARD INDUSTRIES).  Lithium is an alkaline based shock so no harm done to heaters and seals.

C-MeToasty

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 02:58:51 pm »
CA is good in a pool when inbetween 25-30 ppm.  When that level reaches above 100 the difference between your total chlorine and free chlorine will be wide.  Your pool may demand the chlorine or even be green and cloudy but the CA level is so high the chlorine stays locked.  The only way to free up some chlorine would be to do a water exchange I believe.  The store I purchased my hot tub from tought me this.  I have been using lythium hypochlorite since 1988 the second year I owned my 1st coleman spa.  I also use it for my pool instead of those damn slo dissolving tabs that go into the chlorinator.  It works brilliantly for the pool too.  I don't find myself ajusting the PH as often as well.  Calcium hypochlorite (HTH) cheap as hell at cotsco's would be ok with a cement pool to a certain point.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 03:54:03 pm »
Lithium is sold in the states!  (SEABOARD INDUSTRIES).  Lithium is an alkaline based shock so no harm done to heaters and seals.

Maybe it is available but whenever I look at chlorine whether in catalogs, on line or in stores it doesn't jump out at me, Trichlor, dichlor and Cal Hypo do. Cal Hypo is also a Alkaline based chlorine. My statement doesn't come from the an acid base fact, it is based on the fact that apparently chlorine in whatever form is corrosive without a little CYA (20 PPM), something I just recently learned.

Also, aside from using bleach it is the lowest concentration of active chlorine there is - lithium - about 35%, dichlor - about 56 to 62%, cal hypo - about 65% and trichlor - I believe above 90%.

C-MeToasty

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2007, 03:58:43 pm »
www.askallenaquestion.com  He will clarify that for you perhaps better than I can explain.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2007, 04:09:06 pm »
CA is good in a pool when inbetween 25-30 ppm.  When that level reaches above 100 the difference between your total chlorine and free chlorine will be wide.  Your pool may demand the chlorine or even be green and cloudy but the CA level is so high the chlorine stays locked.  The only way to free up some chlorine would be to do a water exchange I believe.  The store I purchased my hot tub from tought me this.  I have been using lythium hypochlorite since 1988 the second year I owned my 1st coleman spa.  I also use it for my pool instead of those damn slo dissolving tabs that go into the chlorinator.  It works brilliantly for the pool too.  I don't find myself ajusting the PH as often as well.  Calcium hypochlorite (HTH) cheap as hell at cotsco's would be ok with a cement pool to a certain point.

I think you have it backwards or I'm misinterpeting your statement. As CYA increases you need more free chlorine to do the job so it needs to increase as well. At a CYA of 30 you need 3 to 4 PPM free chlorine to do the job; at 100 PPM CYA you need about 8 or 9 PPM free chlorine. Total chlorine (TC) is the addition of free chlorine (FC) + combined chlorine (CC) and is used to find the CC [TC-FC=CC]. If there is a big difference in the TC and FC readings that means you have a lot of CC which is bad. Pools and spas have different requirements as bacteria is easier to kill than algea.

I don't seem to have PH problems in either my pool or spa. I do watch the levels - CYA and calcium and use different forms of chlorine as needed. I will use bleach, cal hypo and trichlor in my pool although I tend to use cal hypo the most. I use dichlor exclusively in the spa.

I'm glad you have something that works but all chlorine can be used at least in a pool, some spa manufacturers even OK trichlor in their tubs.

If you ever get a chlorine demand in either a pool or tub that is an indication that a high level and possibly long duration shock is required to kill whatever is causing it. In my pool I have had this happen 2x, this year being the second time - went through an aweful lot of chlorine!

C-MeToasty

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2007, 04:26:30 pm »
When the PH is low it goes into solution, hence clear water and metal taste but not too good for your heater, gaskets, orings, and pump bearings.  If you want to clear your pool just never add PH. LOL  Superblue is a polymer base and quagulates suspended particles and drops it to the bottom of the pool to vacuum.  An algalator will quagulate suspended particles for the filter itself to pick up.  If you have a main drain than you don't need to use either or.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2007, 04:26:49 pm »

I know lithium hypochlorite is an acceptable chlorine for a spa, but high cost and low available chlorine content does not make it ideal.  Its high pH is not too far from that of liquid chlorine which is not acceptable even though it adds the least amount of byproduct of any chlorine.  Don't know if it makes sense except that one is granules and the other is liquid.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2007, 04:26:49 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42