What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Any one have well water for theirs?  (Read 3711 times)

kelliat

Any one have well water for theirs?
« on: October 11, 2007, 06:43:02 am »
We have a wonderful water well that does not need a filter.  But I have noticed in the horses water tank, it does get greener faster.  How would this affect water in a hot tub?  

Just one of the things I am considering before the purchase!

Thanks!
Kelli

Hot Tub Forum

Any one have well water for theirs?
« on: October 11, 2007, 06:43:02 am »

James_Outlaw

Re: Any one have well water for theirs?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 08:27:42 am »
is it possible there is a bacteria buildup on the walls and floor of the water tank, causing the water to turn faster?
"doing better than I deserve!"

tinybubbles

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 10:11:14 am »
My sister just filled her new tub with her pristine well water.  She said it was beautiful.........until...........she put in the chemicals.  Then she had beautiful brown water.  Well water has lots of metals and minerals in it. She ended up putting a filter on the line and running the water through that.  She didn't know there were additives to control the problem.  

tinybubbles

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 10:15:14 am »
Oh yeah, in response to the horse water turning green quicker..there is no chlorine in well water, like in municipal water systems.  This won't be a problem in the hot tub, since you will be adding chemicals.  I would buy one of the texturized shells, you know how well water can etch surfaces.  I'd probably shy away from a dark color as well.  

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 10:45:10 am »
Well water's really no issue if you keep after it.  Make sure you use a Scale Control and keep your alkalinity and pH down.  Other than that, we don't really have problems with our well water customers- and they account for about 20% of our customer base (most of our new housing areas are on wells).

water@104

• Sitting here doing what i do best!
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 04:36:17 pm »
we have well water and have been just fine. we are going on our 4th year with our tub.
 the water doesn't turn brown on me when chemicals are added. i don't use any type of filter when filling the tub.

We do end up with a little bit of silt from the well on the bottom when i am done but i just vacume it up.

Best of luck.

Webini

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 05:50:27 pm »
I have well water with a lot of iron and copper.  I use water from my softener and run it through a pre-filter.  Looks more than a bit green in the tub.  Treat overnight with Metal-Gone, add Calcium, adjust pH and Alk, then dichlor.  Good to go.

I add a bit of Stain and Scale Defense once a week.  I've had no issues and can get 4 months out of my water.

spa-ing

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 03:59:38 pm »
We have well water and also a softener on the house. The well water is high in dissolved iron and has a pH of 8.6 (high alk as well).  We fill the tub and put in 3T of metal and scale control. We also use pH down twice a day for about 10 days to get the pH under control. Other than shock weekly and bromine that's it. We get 6 months out of one tub of water (soaking weekly, sometimes less) and the water is always clear and in range. No water clarifiers or anything else. Occasionally the pH drops a bit and I add a few T of baking soda and that does the trick. We will dump this weekend since out Memorial day fill and it should ride us into the Spring.

loosenupspas

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 04:05:45 pm »
I have well water in my showroom.  I use the Brilliance Chemical line and my water is just fine.  Their product, Metal and Scale Control will clear up the metals in the water.  Your filter should captures any fine particles.  You should consider clean off your filter once you have finished the initial filling process.  My tubs from first filled, and they are smelly and water discolored, take about 15 minutes of clear up.  I leave the cover open for the hour maybe to help clear up odors.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 04:05:45 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42