What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Where to get chemicals for spa online cheap?  (Read 13494 times)

squale

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Where to get chemicals for spa online cheap?
« on: September 27, 2007, 10:37:40 am »
Got my 2005 Sundance Altamar all setup up.  I bought some starter chemicals from my local dealer, but I think I should be able to find them cheaper online.

Where do you guys/gals recommend online to buy chemicals at a cheap price?

and what brand of chemicals do you recommend?  I need Shock, Bromine, Scale Control, and PH Decreaser.

When I fill the spa with my garden hose, the water akalinity is very high, the PH is high, and the hardness is high.

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Where to get chemicals for spa online cheap?
« on: September 27, 2007, 10:37:40 am »

D.P. Roberts

Re: Where to get chemicals for spa online cheap?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 12:08:44 am »
No takers? Okay, I'll tell him:

http://www.rhtubs.com
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 09:35:34 am »

If your water has high Ph and alk you might consider using muriatic acid to lower it.
  The stuff is about $3/gallon- very inexpensive and you'll use a much lower volume of chemical vs the dry Ph decreasers.  You can get it in the paint department at any good home or paint store.  If you use it, be very careful- I use an ice cream pail, scoop a few quarst of spa water into the pail, add the acid, mix and slowly pour the bucket into the spa.  

Check out the pool departments of your local Big Box stores like Home Depot, etc...
for chemicals, too.  Very often you can get the exact same stuff there in much larger containers, for less expense.  I get #5 of dichlor for under $20 at fleet farm.

Online you have to watch your shipping costs.  That can in some cases erase any savings over buying local.

Consider the link that DP Roberts put out.  He includes shipping in his prices if the order is over a certain minimum amount.

For those of you in the "Support your local Dealer" camp, I give my dealer plenty of money.  He gets all my filter business, and plenty of other stuff.  I also purchase chemicals there if I only need a small amount of something.  
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 09:38:31 am by Brewman »
Brewman

cburk0677

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 01:56:23 pm »
I just buy my chemicals at lowes.

I use the dupont spa products. For chlorine I use the dupont pool chlorine in granular form. I bought a 25lb bucket for $83.00  Should last me 3-4 years by my estimation or even longer.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=232445-23132-10039&lpage=none

Now some people might think that pool chlorine should not be used in a hottub but I doublechecked the type of chlorine and it is the exact same type of chlorine used in the leisure time spa chlorine line.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 01:57:06 pm by cburk0677 »
Enjoying SpaTopia in my 2006 Hotspring Vanguard

squale

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 02:03:27 pm »
you really shouldn't be using chlorine in a hottub anyhow, why not bromine?

cburk0677

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 02:17:20 pm »
99% of people with hottubs use chlorine. What are you smoking?
Enjoying SpaTopia in my 2006 Hotspring Vanguard

D.P. Roberts

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 03:20:49 pm »
As long as you're using "dichlor" and not "trichlor", chlorine is fine. Bromine can be a lot easier to use, as it's formulated to be more stable in hotter temperatures than chlorine. This is why you find bromine floaters or bromine dispensers in many hot tubs. However, many people have a stronger allergic or skin reaction to using bromine. When I get my new spa I'm tempted to try bromine at first. If it bothers me I can always switch back to chlorine, which I used for many years without problems.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 05:25:22 pm »
As long as you're using "dichlor" and not "trichlor", chlorine is fine. Bromine can be a lot easier to use, as it's formulated to be more stable in hotter temperatures than chlorine. This is why you find bromine floaters or bromine dispensers in many hot tubs. However, many people have a stronger allergic or skin reaction to using bromine. When I get my new spa I'm tempted to try bromine at first. If it bothers me I can always switch back to chlorine, which I used for many years without problems.

Actually, chlorine is more effective at hot temps than at cool temps until you reach 180 - 200 where it starts to go the other way.  However, trichlor is unstable in warm water and will dissolve faster than in cool temps.  Bromine is used in a spa because it will dissolve slowly and thus can be supplied in tabs or pucks.  Bromine tabs are 2/3 chlorine as it is.  Dichlor is near pH neutral and quick dissolving so ideal for a spa's relatively small water volume.  IMO, chlorine is the easiest way to maintain your spa.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 05:33:18 pm »
I just buy my chemicals at lowes.

I use the dupont spa products. For chlorine I use the dupont pool chlorine in granular form. I bought a 25lb bucket for $83.00  Should last me 3-4 years by my estimation or even longer.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=232445-23132-10039&lpage=none

Now some people might think that pool chlorine should not be used in a hottub but I doublechecked the type of chlorine and it is the exact same type of chlorine used in the leisure time spa chlorine line.

Dichlor is a pool sanitizer as well as a spa sanitizer.  It is not very popular as a pool product because it adds nearly as much CYA as it does chlorine.  CYA is important to monitor in a pool.  There are other pool chlorines that are better suited for pool use.  Dichlor and lithium are the only pool chlorines that can be used in a spa.  Be careful.

squale

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 06:36:34 pm »
well I have been using bromine for the first week of having my spa.  I have a red skin rash developing on my inner arms.  I get this same exact rash everytime I go away on vacation to a carribean destination or somewhere hot and humid by the ocean.  I think it has something to do with the salt water and humidity drying out my skin.  Now I am getting the same rash from going in my hottub.  The rash doesn't look like a bacterial infection, and others that have been in my tub are fine.  I think I am just alergic to either bromine or maybe I went in it the other day when the bromine was too high.. I shocked the spa the other day then went in about an hour later and I think the bromine level was at like 8 when I got in, but then the next morning the bromine was back down to 2.  Do you think this could of caused this rash?  weird thing is, the other person that was in the spa with me that night has no skin issues...

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 07:40:44 pm »
Imo, it's better to have/start a close relationship with your dealer(i.e.- SUPPORT THEM) then to save $10-20 a year shopping online for chemicals. This of course is only for those that have dealers they actually like. Mine is wonderful, so I give them almost all my spa accessory business.

D.P. Roberts

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 10:22:10 pm »
Imo, it's better to have/start a close relationship with your dealer(i.e.- SUPPORT THEM) then to save $10-20 a year shopping online for chemicals. This of course is only for those that have dealers they actually like. Mine is wonderful, so I give them almost all my spa accessory business.

I do too, when I'm in the area. My dealer is 25 miles away, so I'm not driving there just to get chemicals, so I end up buying a lot of stuff from Doc. He also has a lot of chemical alternatives & accessories my dealer does not have.

JerryofWNY

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2007, 08:23:55 am »

This could tend to pay big dividends if service is needed in the future.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2007, 11:48:54 pm »
Gee, your dealers must be a bunch of soreheads.  My dealer's service has been top notch and I don't get  my chems. there.
 They've probably got better things to do than worry about where every single one of their customers buys their Ph up.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 11:49:58 pm by Brewman »
Brewman

TravelingSpaGuy

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2007, 12:19:22 am »
Chemical sales pay the bills for the hot tub companies typically...im sure your dealer would love to see you whenever possible.
The lingering smell of poor quality will far outlast the sweet smell of money saved on a cheap price.

****I only give my opinions, if you do not like my opinion then voice yours****

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2007, 12:19:22 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42