What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: J-465 or J480?  (Read 8920 times)

PushStar

J-465 or J480?
« on: September 09, 2007, 12:34:40 am »
My first ever post after learning much from reading this forum.  I have decided to go with the Jacuzzi Designer Series and will this week order my first hot tub with the new Jade shell color along with the new Roasted Chestnut cabinet.  I am now down to my final decision of to either go with their new J-465 4-5 person or to go all out for their top of the line J-480.  The 480 is larger by 6 inches in both width and length and increases size to a total of 6 adults instead of 5.  I wonder if their is any others who have either of these models who could offer any final advice before I place my order.  Thanks to all here on this forum who share their knowledge with so many.  Thanks. -PushStar  :)

Hot Tub Forum

J-465 or J480?
« on: September 09, 2007, 12:34:40 am »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
Re: J-465 or J480?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 09:59:39 am »
My first ever post after learning much from reading this forum.  I have decided to go with the Jacuzzi Designer Series and will this week order my first hot tub with the new Jade shell color along with the new Roasted Chestnut cabinet.  I am now down to my final decision of to either go with their new J-465 4-5 person or to go all out for their top of the line J-480.  The 480 is larger by 6 inches in both width and length and increases size to a total of 6 adults instead of 5.  I wonder if their is any others who have either of these models who could offer any final advice before I place my order.  Thanks to all here on this forum who share their knowledge with so many.  Thanks. -PushStar  :)

Both are lounge spas, so it would be best to try them both out if possible.  IMO, the 465 will seat three comfortably with the two corner seats and the lounge...while the 480 will seat four comforably with the three corner seats and the lounge.  It all depends on how you use it.  Most, btw, soak the majority of the time alone or with one other person.  If you intend to entertain in your spa, the 480 would be the way to go.

104 degrees

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 11:09:29 am »

Congatulations on getting a Jacuzzi :) Please post some pics of that color combo you have picked out. It sounds great.

104 degrees

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 12:50:33 pm »
 I have sat in both on the showroom floor if you have'nt you need to!! I thought the J-465 was horribly uncomfortable for me 6'3 so try them and see.  Even though they are the same height they sit different not sure why but the 480 sits deeper.

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 09:22:14 pm »
Very interesting.  I have a J-370 and it's what you are looking for.  It has a lounger and is bigger than the 365.  It's 91x91 (38" deep) and 480 gallons.  Unfortunately, it appears that Jacuzzi no longer sells my unit (or rather may have decided to down-size the 480 to the old J-370 size).  That's too bad too because the price on these was reasonable 3-4 years ago (only paid $6,500 including the stereo on mine.  That'd be like paying $7,500 for a 480 today!)  On the Sundance side, this was VERY similar to the Cameo.  Have you looked at that product yet?  Here's a link to the Cameo on the Sundance website...
http://www.sundancespas.com/800Series/Cameo.php

Here's a top-down view of mine...
http://www.jacuzzilife.co.uk/hot-tub-dealer.html?http%3A//www.jacuzzilife.co.uk/hot-tubs/jacuzzi-hot-tub-j370.html
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 09:28:15 pm by ndabunka »
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

PushStar

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 12:19:36 am »
How important is having the lounge... Now I am actually considering the J-470 with it's 91x91 size and J-480 like features without the lounge as opposed to the J-465, which apparently has a lounge made for very tall people.  I don't want to make a mistake and regret my decision so any input as always is appreciated.  I guess my ultimate question to the many experts here is to lounge or not to lounge? How important is having the lounge in the long run? Hmm..

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 06:40:03 am »
How important is having the lounge... Now I am actually considering the J-470 with it's 91x91 size and J-480 like features without the lounge as opposed to the J-465, which apparently has a lounge made for very tall people.  I don't want to make a mistake and regret my decision so any input as always is appreciated.  I guess my ultimate question to the many experts here is to lounge or not to lounge? How important is having the lounge in the long run? Hmm..

There have been many threads regarding the lounge/no lounge issue.  It is a personal decision.  Many love them, others don't.  Different lounges fit different people in different ways so even if you want a lounge, you have to be sure it fits you which may mean it won't fit others who use the spa.  My perference is no lounge.  A statistic that comes up often...repeat spa owners generally purchase a non lounge spa after their first.  Not sure how true it is but worth mentioning.

Tyheethan

• Jacuzzi J-355
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 10:54:16 am »
Although not the J-400 series but still a Jacuzzi Premium, my J-355 has a lounge and it gets uses probably about 5% of the total time in spa.

Just my 2 cents.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 11:01:19 am »
Although not the J-400 series but still a Jacuzzi Premium, my J-355 has a lounge and it gets uses probably about 5% of the total time in spa.

Just my 2 cents.

Good input and very true for most spa users. It takes up 3 seats and often gets used very little. Most who by a spa with a longer, don't get one in their second spa purchase...

Steve

Tyheethan

• Jacuzzi J-355
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 12:10:01 pm »
As referenced by Tony and Steve, we won't pursue a lounge on the next one.

dax

• '07 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 01:19:17 pm »
Maybe I'm still too new to hot tubbing to realize it, but put me down for a lounge seat.  It was the reason I chose the Sundance Cameo over the Optima.  Which, if you look at the seating arrangements, the lounge accounts for two seats, not three.

RK23

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 09:27:14 pm »
Wet test as often and long as you need to make the lounge decision.  My wife and I made a recent decision to purchase a non-lounge and it was due to the fact that in multiple brands, she 'floated' in the lounge and I was much more comfortable somewhat upright.  Definitely a personal choice, but as noted above, percentages seem to be on the non-lounge side for experienced spagoers.

Good luck and enjoy...

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2007, 10:18:46 pm »
I choose the J-370 because I wanted a lounger.  I had my choices down to the Jacuzzi or a Cameo.  Although I liked the looks and quality of the Cameo but the Sun Dance dealer was an ass.  The Jacuzzi has been very, very good but most women who try it don't like the lounger for the same reasons most on here give, they tend to "float out" of the seat.  This appears fairly common unless you have low body fat.  I like my lounger but, like others, I would skip the lounger the next time as it seems that you are paying for something few people use.  Also, wet testing it a necessity with a lounger. Some float out of the Cameo but not the Jacuzzi, etc so each lounger is different.  While wet testing I discovered that the Coleman equivalent at that time was VERY uncomfortable (too small).
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 10:21:00 pm by ndabunka »
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2007, 11:09:30 pm »
My first/current spa doesn't have a lounge. My next one will have one for sure. I would have bought one that had a lounge to begin with but the only lounge spas I liked were out of my price range. :'(

PushStar

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2007, 03:36:22 pm »
Well, after much research on this forum and many years waiting and waiting... I finally yesterday pulled the trigger on my new Designer Series Jacuzzi J-470.  I hope I don't regret my final decision to bypass the lounge, but even my original thoughts of a slightly smaller sized (like the 88x88 sized J-465) will keep fit perfectly now at 91x91.  Not too mention that now up to 7 people can easily fit when the times arise.  And I'm quite sure those killer new RX jets will make it all worth wild in the end.  According to my local Jacuzzi dealer, I am to expect delivery of my J-470 in it's Jade colored interior and matched Roasted Chestnut cabinet to arrive in around 3 weeks time from today.  So, of course I will take some digital photos for others here on the forum as I am making final steps in the completion of my new Ledgestone III paver patio.  Thanks again to the many who help with voicing their own experiences in this arena as it proves once again to help offer advice to others like myself.  :)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2007, 03:36:22 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42