What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: So which one of my dealers is lying to me?  (Read 27433 times)

solo

So which one of my dealers is lying to me?
« on: September 17, 2007, 02:40:16 pm »
I live in the state of VA.

Dealer A:  With your prescription for your hot tub I can save you the sales tax.  

Dealer B:  I must charge you sales tax by law.  Your prescription will allow you to deduct the purchase and sales tax from your taxes.

I qualified Dealer A.  I specifically asked him:  So you don't have to charge me sales tax and also you don't have to pay the state the sales tax on this sale, correct?  He said that I am correct.

The link below suggests that Dealer A is telling the truth and dealer B is not.  Can any of you dealers confirm?

http://www.tax.virginia.gov/web_pdfs/busForms/st13.pdf

Hot Tub Forum

So which one of my dealers is lying to me?
« on: September 17, 2007, 02:40:16 pm »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
Re: So which one of my dealers is lying to me?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 03:07:11 pm »
I don't know that either one is directly lying to you....With the loopholes in tax code you could potentially slip it by however most codes read "Fitness equipment, therapy devices and medical equipment". The fact that they don't specifically name spas gives them a right to deny it.

In Colorado they, at one time, specifically denied spas and hot tubs yet many dealers continued to not charge the tax illegally.

The best advice I can give is not to get spa advice from your accountant and not to get tax advice from a spa guy! ;)

txwillie

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 03:21:49 pm »
They are all lying to you. It is a conspiracy. Run and hide.

Spiderman

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 03:27:31 pm »
Maybe they just aren't sure or don't know the law and you perceive they are lying to you.
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

The_Pa._Lady

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 03:28:57 pm »

In Pa. my accountant included the tax in with medical expenses like Dr. bills, prescription meds, etc.

solo

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 03:36:37 pm »
Maybe they just aren't sure or don't know the law and you perceive they are lying to you.

Well, the thing is that I have directly asked this question and both answer with 100% certainty.  On my next sales visit, I am going to take the Sales and use tax certificate of exemption with me.  

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 04:01:11 pm »
I doubt either is lying with the intent to do, they just want to sell a spa and the taxes are not what they know, I would have told you to seek the tax advice from a tax pro. Laws and codes change yearly and to think a spa dealer is up to speed with the changes is a bit unrealistic.

webboy

• hey bub
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 04:33:54 pm »

Dealer A:  With your prescription for your hot tub I can save you the sales tax.  

I know dealers who will say this, then just pull it out of their profits, just to make the sell. They have so much they can play with...with this offer, they might not throw the steps in...

104 degrees

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 04:41:16 pm »

Well, the thing is that I have directly asked this question and both answer with 100% certainty.  On my next sales visit, I am going to take the Sales and use tax certificate of exemption with me.  

So you do ask Quetions knowing the answers. or why didnt you just read it before you asked the Quetions

You say the dealers a liers :o i think its you that lie ::)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 04:42:12 pm by 104_degrees »

solo

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 04:52:12 pm »
No, I ask the question to multiple dealers and got different answers.  So then one pointed me to an on-line resource.

But truthfully 104 degrees...I don't care what yopu think.  You have already proven yourself to be someone not to trust...

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 04:54:56 pm »
But truthfully 104 degrees...I don't care what yopu think.  You have already proven yourself to be someone not to trust...

I think you're both have a couple screws loose (and my therapist agrees).
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Micah

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 05:46:31 pm »
In California we have a branch of the goverment called "State Board of Equalization".  If you have a question reguarding if tax should be charged I would ask that question to your local state tax agency.  They will be able to answer your question definitivly once and for all.  You can then determine not who is lying to you but who is more up to date and tax loopholes.  Best of luck,
Micah
Jacuzzi, Hot Springs and Caldera dealer in Los Angeles

MostlyLurkingGal

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2007, 05:56:22 pm »
I'm thinking Dealer B is the smarter of the 2....perhaps he wants you to take Dealer A's offer........... ;)

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2007, 06:02:05 pm »
What is the sales tax %?

We use to have a SAVE THE GST (Goods and service tax) sale and people would eat it up! WOOHOO... we don't have to pay GST! :D

Now try having a "SAVE 6%" sale and it just doesn't have the same impact... ;)

Sorry...it just made me think of that!

96SC

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2007, 06:21:40 pm »
Here in SC dealer B is telling the truth.  :-X
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2007, 06:21:40 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42