What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Bought a 2005 used Sundance Altamar.. is it 60amp?  (Read 5482 times)

squale

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Bought a 2005 used Sundance Altamar.. is it 60amp?
« on: September 21, 2007, 11:58:29 am »
I just got this hottub and I don't know if it's wired for 50amp or 60amp... I know they come from the factory as a default of 50amp but the previous owner THOUGHT the electrician ran 60amp but they aren't sure.  So basically I took pictures of the Sentry Control Box and was wondering if anybody here could help me determine if it's 60amp or 50amp.  I need to buy wire and breakers and need to make sure I get the right size.

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Bought a 2005 used Sundance Altamar.. is it 60amp?
« on: September 21, 2007, 11:58:29 am »

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
Re: Bought a 2005 used Sundance Altamar.. is it 60
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 12:05:14 pm »
It's actually BOTH  The determining factor is the way the jumpers are connected on the control board.  Do a search on Jacuzzi (or Sun Dance) and "Black jumper" and that should get you the answers
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

John-D

• oh but it is
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 12:17:36 pm »
can you post the picture of the board, I can tell you if it's set to 50 or 60 amps.

John
Sundance Spas dealer in London Ontario

squale

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 12:32:33 pm »
Here are pictures of the control board, I hope this helps!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 01:22:28 pm »
Regardless of 50 or 60 amp, same wire is for both- use 6 gauge copper.

Only difference is what size breaker to purchase.  You could go with a 60 amper, and if that's how your spa is setup, you'll know if all of your pumps work at the same time, and still allow your heater to come on.  
 If this doesn't happen, you are probably set for 50 amps, and could easily get the jumper configured correctly to allow full 60 amp operation.

Brewman

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 01:33:30 pm »
By looking at one of the photos it is set up for 60 amp, your 6th pic down shows them to the left, right where it says jp9 below jp19 if jumpers 7&8 are jumped its set up for 60 if not its 50.   ;)

squale

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 08:25:57 pm »
so you are positive on this then?

squale

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2007, 02:11:33 am »
I also noticed that there are 2 bare wires coming out of either side of the spa.  They look like grounding wires, but they are seperate and have no insulation on them.  What are these wires for?  The main cable that comes from the spa I believe has 3 wires in it.  But then there are these 2 bare wires that come out of BOTH sides of the spa... just confused on what these wires are for.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2007, 03:01:18 pm »
As it says on your control box, you have a spa with a 3 wire configuration.  You need 2 "hot" leads and an insulated ground.  
 The way it looks like this one was done was with romex cable, which is usually not allowed to be used anywhere in a spa or pool circuit- because romex cable has an uninsulated ground.  Some locale's may allow it, but technically it violates NEC.  Romex in a conduit is also subject to de-rating.

To stay with code, You'd use THHN/THWN 6 gauge copper in the appropriate conduit.  Your 2 hot leads can be any color except white, gray, or green.  Your ground lead should be green.  These 2 hot leads can be the same color- usually black or red.  
That's all the wire you need for a 3 wire setup.

You may also be required to bond the spa to any grounded metal that is within 5' of the water as the crow flies.  The bonding is not the same as grounding from the electrical circuit.  Usually bond wire is uninsulated copper single strand (not multi strand) and it runs from the bonding lug on your spa to the grounded metal.  In my case I had to bond the water spigot.  

You really should consult with the electrical authority in your area to be sure your installation is inspected and meets whatever code is enforced you your area.  

Brewman

D.P. Roberts

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2007, 03:08:59 pm »

I see you got the popular "YelloJakket" (TM) Unwanted Bather Repellant option. This is a Value Added feature that will keep inlaws and pesky neighbors away from your spa for many happy years.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2007, 03:08:59 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42