What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: dumb question, Sundance filter Optima  (Read 6575 times)

sonomablue

dumb question, Sundance filter Optima
« on: September 18, 2007, 12:12:03 am »
Hi All,
We have had our Sundance 2007 Optima for many months now, and still continue to love it. We are very glad with our choice.

My question/issue: the other day, my wife lifted up the cover over the filter, and asked "should it be spinning?". I looked at it, it was not moving. I could not turn it either. I had to admit to her that I did not remember if it normally spins freely, or if it should be stationary.

So, Sundance 800 ownders: should the filter spin freely? Or not?

If so, then i need to call out the dealer (is only 2 miles away).

thanks

p.s. I did a search, and could not find a question in this area. I even looked in the manual (RTFM), and no info in the manual about spining freely, or not.

thanks

Hot Tub Forum

dumb question, Sundance filter Optima
« on: September 18, 2007, 12:12:03 am »

D.P. Roberts

Re: dumb question, Sundance filter Optima
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 12:28:41 am »
This issue does come up every once in a while regarding horizontal filters. No, it should not spin. It should be tightly (but not overtightened) into the filter inlet.

Some think that horizontal filters should spin so that all sides of the filter get dirty equally, instead of just the side facing upward collecting all the dirt. However, that doesn't really happen. If it did, vertically oriented filters would all be dirty at the top, and clean at the bottom.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

sonomablue

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 12:30:12 am »
Thanks. Appreciate your answer. Still seems like I should have known that one. :-)

pg_rider

• I've been Optima-ized
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 11:00:58 am »
I would offer this counterpoint.  I leave mine "loose" enough to spin freely (although it doesn't spin on its own, only when I turn it by hand).  When I installed my first one I overtightened the plastic nut and had a HELL of a time getting it off when it was time to change the filter.  The manual even specifies to not overtighten the nut -- now I know why! :)
Paul G.
2006 Sundance Optima

diane

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 03:07:01 pm »
I too own a Sundance and was close to posting the same question!  Now we both know!!!

diane

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 08:33:34 am »
You should be able to snug up that nut enough to keep the filter from spinning, yet not too tight to be able to loosen it.
 I wouldn't want a filter spinning around on my spa- probably won't hurt anything, but that's not the way they're designed to work.  If it's spinning, it's also possible that an amount of water is bypassing the filter.  Plus there isn't really any bearing there- possible long term wear on that pipe?  
Brewman

D.P. Roberts

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 07:14:55 pm »
I would offer this counterpoint.  I leave mine "loose" enough to spin freely (although it doesn't spin on its own, only when I turn it by hand).  When I installed my first one I overtightened the plastic nut and had a HELL of a time getting it off when it was time to change the filter.  The manual even specifies to not overtighten the nut -- now I know why! :)

Yeah, mine got tight too, that's why I mentioned overtightening in my post above.

The filter really shouldn't be able to spin anyway, even if it's loose. It only stays put because one of the "tabs" on the bottom of the filter gets slid under the bracket opposite the inlet pipe. If the filter were to spin, the tab would slide out of the bracket, and the filter would probably come off (unless, possibly, it's held in place by the suction during a filter cycle, in which case it would fall off after the cycle is over).
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

sonofsail

• Hi Y'all
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2007, 12:11:51 am »
We have had our 2007 Sundance Optima for two weeks and LOVE it.  We are in it every day, sometimes twice a day.   It is great to get good info from this forum.  (Sometimes it gets a little crazy....don't we all)
"Growing older but not up..."

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2007, 12:11:51 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42