What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Trip fees more common now?  (Read 3727 times)

mxw128

• Newbie with an 05 Vanguard
Trip fees more common now?
« on: September 17, 2007, 08:05:58 pm »
Are "trip fees" or "copays" becoming more common now?  I called for service on my HS Vanguard and was told that there was a "copay" of $40.  I've had warranty service before and had never paid one previously.  THis kinda annoyed me because it was a question I had asked before I bought the tub in 05 and was one of the distinguishing factors behind going with HS over Calspa.   Is anyone else seeign dealers changing their policies now?  (maybe a gas price issue?)  

Hot Tub Forum

Trip fees more common now?
« on: September 17, 2007, 08:05:58 pm »

wedag

Re: Trip fees more common now?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 08:14:12 pm »
The dealer I bought mine from said after 1 year a fee of 45.00 would be charged. I think it is from high gas prices.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 10:33:37 pm »
Wouldn't surprise me one bit if the trip fee is more common these days.  
The company that hauls our trash puts a "fuel surcharge" on the bill now.  Has been doing this for a year or two now.
I guess that charging me $5 extra per month for gasoline is better than charging me $5 per month in higher rates.  

Brewman

D.P. Roberts

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 12:04:23 am »
"Copays"? I don't like the sound of that. It sounds like something an HMO would come up with. It reminds me of doctors wearing rubber gloves...
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

Seahawk

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 11:12:50 am »
Copays or Trip charges are becoming more common these days for a few reasons
1.  Higher fuel costs
2.  Higher business costs in general
3.  Remember warranty work from the manufactors only cover a $30-55 dollar credit to any dealer
With svc calls reaching excess of $85 to $130 an hour depending on Locations.  Companies are trying to still make money in svc work. It's not unfair to do so, if any homeowner would spend the time reading any warranty in it's entirety, they would find it states that a trip charge can be added by any dealer.  Some dealers choose not to, others do from day one, some give a one year grace and then charge.  It is completely up to the dealer.  Just remember,  if you are going to complain about  a trip charge, dealers are more likely going to start adding the cost into the spa.  We all know that you homeowners won't want to pay more for a spa based on svc history.  Over a 5 year span you are likely to have 1 to 4 warranty claims on most manufactored spas.  So, paying a small copay is probably in the best interest of both parties, you the buyer and us the dealer.  

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 11:58:41 am »
I don't like the term "copay". :-/

We use the language in the warranty.

If it says trip fee, we charge a trip fee.

If it says trip charge, that is what it is.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Seahawk

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 12:19:48 pm »
Find any home owner who likes the term trip charge!  I'm not saying I like the term copay either.  But to a perspective buyer copay sounds alot better than trip charge.  For anybody who allready owns a spa I do not think it makes a difference as to what you call it.  

Spiderman

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 03:20:44 pm »
Call Sears to come look at your washer/dryer/etc. and see what they charge you; under warranty.
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

mxw128

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 09:16:59 pm »
Yeah, I was kind of surprised when the person at the dealer used the term "copay".  Like someone said before, I really don't care what they call it, it's still $$ out of pocket.  My only beef here is that I specifically covered this when I bought the spa and the answer I got wasn't time related.  It was "We don't charge any trip fee for warranty work"  (This was different than the CalSpa rep who flat out wouldn't answer the question, even when pushed) I did read the warranty in full and saw the weasle words that Watkins puts in there, but I did't get the dealer's statement in writing.  That's my oversight, so I guess I'll pay it.  It not horrible, only $40 or so, it is just the upfront principle of the thing..... and it is beter than paying for the upper control panel....

mxw128

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 09:18:07 pm »
Call Sears to come look at your washer/dryer/etc. and see what they charge you; under warranty.

At least they are upfront about it (if asked) before you purchase their products/service....

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 09:18:07 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42