What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 24 hour circulation pump:  is this a must hav  (Read 19027 times)

The_Pa._Lady

Re: 24 hour circulation pump:  is this a must hav
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2007, 12:06:52 pm »

SOLO,

don't forget the HS Prodigy.  It's a little bigger than the Jetsetter, holds 325 gal. and will give you all the hydrotherapy you need.  24/7 circulation and ozone pump, LED light, jets are powerful enough.  Very quiet.  We have not noticed much change in our elec bill.  We have a 2006 Prodigy that is crystal clear, not hard to keep chemicals straight.  Does not have stereo, or waterfall, but we figure we didn't need all the bells and whistles.  I don't know where you live, but I live in Pa. and paid around $6,000 with steps, cover, ozonztor, chemicals.  We love it.  Good luck.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2007, 12:06:52 pm »

solo

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2007, 12:17:27 pm »
I appreciate everyone's suggestions, thank you.

I can't do the prodigy as I really want a lounger and I really want the moto massage.

The jetsetter...that's still an option in the back of my mind.  But with a family of 5, I kind of want something we all can enjoy on those rare occassions we do as a family.  I haven't ruled out the jetsetter, but the Sovereign is my first choice.

My dealer quoted me $7695 for the 220v Sovereign.  His labor day price was $7295.  He doesn't know that I am wet testing a Vita Aurora LX and a Sundance Hamilton.  Both similarly priced to the Sovereign.  But when he finds out that I am looking at those models, he might be able to go down a bit more.

I did him a favor and told him that my price was $7000. We aren't very far off.  When he gets hungry for a sale, I have a feeling he will call me.  

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2007, 01:44:12 pm »

My dealer quoted me $7695 for the 220v Sovereign.  His labor day price was $7295.  He doesn't know that I am wet testing a Vita Aurora LX and a Sundance Hamilton.  Both similarly priced to the Sovereign.  But when he finds out that I am looking at those models, he might be able to go down a bit more.

I did him a favor and told him that my price was $7000. We aren't very far off.  When he gets hungry for a sale, I have a feeling he will call me.  

I'm not sure that you telling him your budget was necessarily an issue here. Some dealers give inflated prices and make you work from there to beat them down. Most nowadays give a decent price and try to hold to it with only a few hundred to dicker with but then drop to their real sale price for holiday events. I'm thinking yours is the latter type and that price you saw for Labor Day may be his true sale price.

The fact that you told him your budget at least let's him know he’s in the ballpark of him making a sale. I would NOT hesitate to let him know you're looking at two other brands so he understands that you have options. This should get him to give his true sale price if he isn’t there already. Ask for a “best, final deal” so you can compare to your other options and you’ll find out if there was more on the table to get.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 01:47:11 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

solo

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2007, 04:50:30 pm »
One dealer just told me that you really don't need a circ pump and can gnerally get more spa for your money if you buy one without a circ pump.

He also said that the REAL advanatge to a cic pump is that the high pressure water never comes in contact with the heater.

Thoughts on his statements?

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2007, 05:00:17 pm »
Never heard that one.  He is probably a drunkard or rides a moped, take your pick.

I will say this:

In 22 years of selling HotSpring Spas with circulation pumps and 100% No-Bypass filtration, we have replaced 10 jet pumps.

Using advanced mathermatical formulations, that come to replacing 1 JET pump every 2.2 years, or thereabouts.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2007, 08:24:39 pm »
One dealer just told me that you really don't need a circ pump and can gnerally get more spa for your money if you buy one without a circ pump.

He also said that the REAL advanatge to a cic pump is that the high pressure water never comes in contact with the heater.

I think this is the problem with some dealers they will say anything to sell a spa. I would think the spa heater element is designed to take some stress and think about the fact that the pump is running at a low speed.

It's been hashed and rehashed and it is just a way of filtration. I paid $300 extra to get a circ pump but it came with an upgraded heater as well. I did it to get 24 hour ozone when needed and the upgraded heater. The tub before that that I wanted had no circ pump. Clean water is clean water either way.

MarKee

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2007, 09:42:22 pm »
Term:  How many circulation pumps have you replaced? :)

BK

• 06 Sundance Optima
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2007, 10:08:19 pm »
I live in a cold climate and think that the 24 hour circulation is a benefit to me in freezing weather. I like the idea that there's water moving when it's -20.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2007, 09:26:44 am »
Term:  How many circulation pumps have you replaced? :)

Between 20-30 per year at $150 apiece.  How many $500 jet pumps have you replaced? :)

Terminator

rick

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2007, 12:37:56 pm »
A must have for only those who don't like the higher pressure the main pumps give when you stick your butthole over the jet  for your colonic irrigation.

Yeah, don't forget the shock when yer done.

Alot of it!

MarKee

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2007, 01:47:16 pm »
Our jet pumps are $300-400 :)

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2007, 04:11:10 pm »
Our jet pumps are $300-400 :)

......and........how many per year?

Terminator

MarKee

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2007, 09:12:51 pm »
I have no idea I'm not a service technician

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
Re: 24 hour circulation pump:  is this a must
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2007, 10:26:56 pm »

That's just a sales tactic to make his particular brand appear more favorable to you.  Ignore it.  The FACT is that a 24-hour filtration system (like Jacuzzi/Sun Dance and many others) work EXACTLY as well as the periodic systems used by other mfgs (such as Bullfrog and Beachcomber).

One thing I noticed in this particular thread are dealers pointing you to the lower cost (and smaller) spas.  That should NOT be the case.  Pick a SIZE you want to fit the price range (i.e. a MINIMUM 400 gallon tub for $7K vs. just the price target).  That will help you figure this out quicker (and will also stop the dealers from trying to fit you into a smaller/less costly tub).
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 10:27:25 pm by ndabunka »
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2007, 09:30:28 am »

One thing I noticed in this particular thread are dealers pointing you to the lower cost (and smaller) spas.  That should NOT be the case.  Pick a SIZE you want to fit the price range (i.e. a MINIMUM 400 gallon tub for $7K vs. just the price target).  That will help you figure this out quicker (and will also stop the dealers from trying to fit you into a smaller/less costly tub).

I agree with this 98%. The problem is larger spas do cost more and without going into the secondary spa lines of these manufacturers you are not getting a low cost spa. In 2004, the Sundance Optima was about $9000 while the Bahia was about $6300 ... big price difference and they are basically the same size. The Artesian Piper Glen was about $9000, the Emerald was about $7100 and the Grand Cayman I bought was about $6500 but included everything I wanted in it where the other prices were starting points and again they are basically the same size. I looked at the HS Vanguard and at about $7400, it wasn't for me and it was $900 more than my spa with a lot less for my money IMO.

The problem with having a budget and I did have one is you can't think about those higher end spas but you have to find the one that you like that's in your budget.  If my budget was $10K+ when I bought mine then a whole bunch more spas would have been considered ... at $6K there were a lot less choices But I did lower my sights from a Piper or D1 Lotus Bay to a Grand Cayman or Down East Windsor SE or Bahia - all of which were in my reach. Here's where the marketing ploy comes in ... after seeing a higher end spa of any manufacturer it's difficult to see a spa with less jets/power, less color choices, no "bling" (like SS jets) or electronics.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2007, 09:30:28 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42