What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: What spa brands are considered "premium"?  (Read 7760 times)

solo

What spa brands are considered "premium"?
« on: September 06, 2007, 03:29:32 pm »
My brother in law has had a hot tub for years.  So I meailed him letting him know the brands I was looking at.  He fired an email back telling me that Hot Springs is a "premium" brand, so I might have  ahrder time finding a deal on one.  

That made me think.  What brands are considered "premium"?  Not that it matters much as I am goin to buy the tub I like and can afford regardless of it's "classification".

I am just wondering what he meant by "premium".

If we were talking cars, well then I would know that an Acura is a premium hinda.  A lexus is a premium Toyota,etc.  But I am not sure what he meant by this in terms of spas.

Hot Tub Forum

What spa brands are considered "premium"?
« on: September 06, 2007, 03:29:32 pm »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
Re: What spa brands are considered "premium"?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 04:23:11 pm »
HotSpring is a premium brand, but it is not an expensive brand compared to others.

Sundance, Jacuzzi, Artesian, Master, Dimension 1, Bullfrog, CalSpa, Thermospa, Blue Water Spas, Haven, Vita, Superior, Sun Belt, Sunco, Sundaze, Dynasty, LA, Coast, are all brands that are more expensive than HotSpring based upon the prices I see posted.

I would say that most reasonable folks would classify HotSpring, Caldera, Sundance/Jacuzzi, Dimension 1, and Marquis as your premium brands with some consideration given towards Arctic, Artesian, Beachcomber, and Coleman as well.

Premium- superior quality or value.

Hope this helps!

Terminator

« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 04:32:42 pm by East_TX_Spa »
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

RK23

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 04:47:55 pm »
Solo, I just went through a similar process as you are going through -- trying to determine the right brands to focus in on.  Through research and help from folks on this site, I quickly focused in on Caldera, Hot Springs, Jacuzzi/Sundance and Artesian as the brand.  I am not familiar enough to claim they are 'Premium', but they're generally well regarded in their reliability, customer service, and sales volume/dealer.  Within brands like these, there are often standard and premium lines.  For example, Caldera has Utopia vs Paradise lines, Hot Springs also sells Tiger River, and Jacuzzi offers Sundance as a premium line.  

I eventually wound up purchasing a Caldera Niagara, in Caldera's Utopia series, their upper line...

pattispa

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 06:45:09 pm »
[  For example, Caldera has Utopia vs Paradise lines, Hot Springs also sells Tiger River, and Jacuzzi offers Sundance as a premium line.  

I would like to understand this as well.  My Jacuzzi dealer said that Jacuzzi is the premium with Sundance a step below.  Is this true or not?  Or are they not stating it accurately. I would really like to know.

Spiderman

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 06:54:33 pm »
In addition to Hot Spring, don't forget Tiger River, a premium spa at a great price  :)
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

Micah

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 07:17:13 pm »
[  For example, Caldera has Utopia vs Paradise lines, Hot Springs also sells Tiger River, and Jacuzzi offers Sundance as a premium line.  

I would like to understand this as well.  My Jacuzzi dealer said that Jacuzzi is the premium with Sundance a step below.  Is this true or not?  Or are they not stating it accurately. I would really like to know.

"The Jacuzzi 400 series is the top of the line when it comes to Jacuzzi/Sundance."  That is a quote from Jonathan Clark. President of both Jacuzzi and Sundance

Jacuzzi is definetly a PREMIUM line
Jacuzzi, Hot Springs and Caldera dealer in Los Angeles

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 07:37:08 pm »
HotSpring is a premium brand, but it is not an expensive brand compared to others.

Sundance, Jacuzzi, Artesian, Master, Dimension 1, Bullfrog, CalSpa, Thermospa, Blue Water Spas, Haven, Vita, Superior, Sun Belt, Sunco, Sundaze, Dynasty, LA, Coast, are all brands that are more expensive than HotSpring based upon the prices I see posted.

I would say that most reasonable folks would classify HotSpring, Caldera, Sundance/Jacuzzi, Dimension 1, and Marquis as your premium brands with some consideration given towards Arctic, Artesian, Beachcomber, and Coleman as well.

Premium- superior quality or value.

Hope this helps!

Terminator

I would echo terms statement, there are others who some may feel belong and perhaps rightly so but few would disagree with those mentioned.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 07:37:50 pm »
There are premium lines inside the premium names themselves. Almost all the manufacturers have them

Hot Springs is premium then would come Tiger River then I guess a toss up between Hot Spot and Solana and this is the HS lineup.

Jacuzzi and Sundance are both premium lines with Jacuzzi's 400 series the top of Jacuzzi's line and the 800 seies the top of the Sundance line. Jacuzzi has the 300 series and now a 200 series Sundance has the 700 series.

Artesian has the Platinum, Gold and Island series. They used to have a Promo series but that's not listed on their website anymore.

So even though you buy a "premium" name, you still may not buy their "premium" spa. Although an Artesian Grand Cayman is kind of like a Artesian Piper Glen there still is a difference in jets, probably feel, warranty and price.

Term mentioned how inexpensive HS is and that may be true at the higher end - Grandee vs Piper or Optima but in my limited experience their price points are much higher to begin with compared to Artesian, Sundance or Jacuzzi. In 2004, a Vanguard was going for $7400 and I bought my tub for around $6500, the Sundance Bahia was $6300. I didn't price out Tiger River since the salesperson wouldn't talk to me about it so I'm not comparing apples to appples.

D.P. Roberts

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 07:41:49 pm »

"The Jacuzzi 400 series is the top of the line when it comes to Jacuzzi/Sundance."  That is a quote from Jonathan Clark. President of both Jacuzzi and Sundance

Well, that's kind of silly, as from what I've heard the Jacuzzi 400 series and the Sundance 800 series come off the same assembly line, and use many of the same components. I'd say those two series are equally premium.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

Micah

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 09:33:48 pm »

Well, that's kind of silly, as from what I've heard the Jacuzzi 400 series and the Sundance 800 series come off the same assembly line, and use many of the same components. I'd say those two series are equally premium.

The Jacuzzi 300 and 200 series come off of the same assembly line and share some of the same components as the 400 series.  That dosent make them equal to a 400 series.  The 400 series has Jacuzzi's most advanced filteration system, The most advanced jetting system (the MX2 and the new RX jet) and had the ABS pan instead of a wood base.  
For the record the Jacuzzi 200 series has the same base construction as the sundance 800 series.  The Jacuzzi 300 and 400 series has the upgrade to the ABS pan bottom.  
Jacuzzi, Hot Springs and Caldera dealer in Los Angeles

D.P. Roberts

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 11:47:32 pm »

I'm still trying to make sense of this. Jacuzzi and Sundance both have premium reputations. For a corporate executive to boost one over the other doesn't make sense.

For example, the 400 series is getting a lot of attention with Jacuzzi right now. Meanwhile, the Sundance 700 series just got a makeover. That way, one division's top line gets some press, while the other division's middle line gets the attention.

I was thinking that maybe next year they switch, and Sundance's 800 series gets a big makeover with lots of publicity, while the Jacuzzi 300 series gets a freshening. Capiche? I know car companies do that sort of thing. It helps sales.

And here's a quote from the Sundance site:

"Sundance Spas are the best built hot tubs in the world...the most advanced water purification options available...Sundance is the best." - Jonathan Clark
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 12:17:49 am by KevinofOH »
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2007, 08:52:44 am »

I'm still trying to make sense of this. Jacuzzi and Sundance both have premium reputations. For a corporate executive to boost one over the other doesn't make sense.

For example, the 400 series is getting a lot of attention with Jacuzzi right now. Meanwhile, the Sundance 700 series just got a makeover. That way, one division's top line gets some press, while the other division's middle line gets the attention.

I was thinking that maybe next year they switch, and Sundance's 800 series gets a big makeover with lots of publicity, while the Jacuzzi 300 series gets a freshening. Capiche? I know car companies do that sort of thing. It helps sales.

And here's a quote from the Sundance site:

"Sundance Spas are the best built hot tubs in the world...the most advanced water purification options available...Sundance is the best." - Jonathan Clark

Today, I do not think Jacuzzi/Sundance does not boost one over the other...but at one time it did and it had to do with the buyout agreement between Sundance and Jacuzzi.  Sundance was purchased to take over all the spa manufacturing for Jacuzzi but Sundance was to get the new bells and whistles and the new engineering and technology first.  In 2002, Sundance created Jacuzzi Premium spas in their Chino, CA factory and totally redesigned the spas.  Some of the old Jacuzzi Whirlpool features were retained, I am sure to keep a link to the past, such as push button air controls and the abs bottom, but the Jacuzzi Premium spas were built very much like a Sundance spa.  Now ten years after the merge, you can see things start to change.  Jacuzzi has a real top line spa now similar to the Sundance line with similar features.  No matter how different they seem, the two lines are very much the same.  Some features may be slightly different, but they share the same basic design and engineering....whether it be the pumps, filtration, shell, cabinet, electronics.  Of course Jacuzzi has changed hands in the meantime and they seem to want to take advantage of its name these days.  On top of that, I am sure that some of the original Sundance ownership and management team, such as Jonathan Clark, are getting ready to cash in and move on.  

104 degrees

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2007, 08:58:33 am »

Today, I do not think Jacuzzi/Sundance does not boost one over the other...but at one time it did and it had to do with the buyout agreement between Sundance and Jacuzzi.  Sundance was purchased to take over all the spa manufacturing for Jacuzzi but Sundance was to get the new bells and whistles and the new engineering and technology first.  In 2002, Sundance created Jacuzzi Premium spas in their Chino, CA factory and totally redesigned the spas.  Some of the old Jacuzzi Whirlpool features were retained, I am sure to keep a link to the past, such as push button air controls and the abs bottom, but the Jacuzzi Premium spas were built very much like a Sundance spa.  Now ten years after the merge, you can see things start to change.  Jacuzzi has a real top line spa now similar to the Sundance line with similar features.  No matter how different they seem, the two lines are very much the same.  Some features may be slightly different, but they share the same basic design and engineering....whether it be the pumps, filtration, shell, cabinet, electronics.  Of course Jacuzzi has changed hands in the meantime and they seem to want to take advantage of its name these days.  On top of that, I am sure that some of the original Sundance ownership and management team, such as Jonathan Clark, are getting ready to cash in and move on.  

Hay Tony :)

Does Sundance and Jacuzzi have 100% no by-pass filtation?

John

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2007, 09:00:19 am »

The Jacuzzi 300 and 200 series come off of the same assembly line and share some of the same components as the 400 series.  That dosent make them equal to a 400 series.  The 400 series has Jacuzzi's most advanced filteration system, The most advanced jetting system (the MX2 and the new RX jet) and had the ABS pan instead of a wood base.  
For the record the Jacuzzi 200 series has the same base construction as the sundance 800 series.  The Jacuzzi 300 and 400 series has the upgrade to the ABS pan bottom.  

If the ABS bottom was that much of an upgrade, you would have surely seen them on Sundance spas years ago.  It is a hold over from the old Jacuzzi Whirlpool spas.  From 2002 to recently, anything deemed best was put onto the Sundance 800 series spas.  it sure sounds good though.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2007, 09:03:50 am »

Hay Tony :)

Does Sundance and Jacuzzi have 100% no by-pass filtation?

John

Actually, at the high end they have 100% by pass filtration; none of the water going through the jet pumps is being filtered. ;)
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2007, 09:03:50 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42