What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Delivery Scheduled  (Read 5329 times)

Patton

Delivery Scheduled
« on: August 27, 2007, 07:45:21 am »
Ok, we worked the weekend and now have a pad for our to be delivered hot tub. My dealer says he can deliver on Wednesday at 11 or 11:30. I decided to go with pavers as I like the idea of being able to take them up without the need of a jackhammer. My wife took some pictures of the pad installation and I will post them in the near future. Now I am on to the electrician and getting this in order. I hope to be sitting in this hot tub over Labor Day Weekend if all goes well. I am going to have the electrician add a four pot plug as well so if there is anything I want to plug in outside I will be able. My house was built in the 50's and I guess that outside plugs weren't real common or at least they didn't put one on my house. Anything else I should ask about as far as the electrician? Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Delivery Scheduled
« on: August 27, 2007, 07:45:21 am »

D.P. Roberts

Re: Delivery Scheduled
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 01:41:03 am »
Ok, we worked the weekend and now have a pad for our to be delivered hot tub. My dealer says he can deliver on Wednesday at 11 or 11:30. I decided to go with pavers as I like the idea of being able to take them up without the need of a jackhammer. My wife took some pictures of the pad installation and I will post them in the near future. Now I am on to the electrician and getting this in order. I hope to be sitting in this hot tub over Labor Day Weekend if all goes well. I am going to have the electrician add a four pot plug as well so if there is anything I want to plug in outside I will be able. My house was built in the 50's and I guess that outside plugs weren't real common or at least they didn't put one on my house. Anything else I should ask about as far as the electrician? Thanks!

Did you have your installation today? If so, you already know that only 110V hot tubs can be plugged in, 220V tubs have to be wired to a dedicated circuit.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 07:12:41 am »

Outdoor outlets were not typically installed in houses in the 50's.  Most houses built back then had reletively low amperage service.  60 amp service seemed typical for the day.  

If your electrician installs to NEC (National Electric Code) he is required to put a GFI protected outlet outside along with your spa wiring.  
Brewman

JJWP

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 07:29:19 am »
Your electrician should be able to advise you as to what you will need to get your tub up and running. But FYI if your tub runs on 220V he will need to install either a 50A or a 60A GFI circuit breaker in your existing electrical panel. Check your electrical panel to see that you have two open spots available for your new circuit breakers to be installed. If not a small sub panel can be added next to your existing panel to allow the new dedicated circuit for your tub. Check with your dealer to see what size circuit breaker your tub requires...either a 50 amp or 60 amp. If your tub allows it, going with the 60amp GFI circuit breaker or GFI disconnect will allow you to run all of your tubs pumps and heater at the same time.
Your electrician also needs to install a disconnect switch, it is reguired and will be installed outside in the general location of your tub  ( at least five feet from your tub ). Please keep in mind that that what I described above are general installation methods PLEASE check with your dealer as far as specific details pertaining to your specefic tub. Its a good idea to ask your dealer for a pre-delivery guide. Most of the manufacturers have these available and it goes over all of the electrical connections in detail that pertain to your specific tub. Good luck with your tub..........

Patton

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 08:03:16 pm »
Hot tub is here, but I am still without power  :( :'( :( I was so hopeful to be hot tubbing this weekend. Alas it is not to be. I had my electric upgraded several years ago as far as the main and made sure to have room for expansion. So... I am in good shape on this front. The manufacturer calls for 60amp breaker. I am so ready to use the tub. It is so pitiful just sitting there unpowered. I was flipping channels on the TV and they were selling a hot tub on one of the shopping channels and touting how there was no need for an electrician. Now there is irony for you :-/

D.P. Roberts

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 09:17:59 pm »
Hot tub is here, but I am still without power  :( :'( :( I was so hopeful to be hot tubbing this weekend. Alas it is not to be. I had my electric upgraded several years ago as far as the main and made sure to have room for expansion. So... I am in good shape on this front. The manufacturer calls for 60amp breaker. I am so ready to use the tub. It is so pitiful just sitting there unpowered. I was flipping channels on the TV and they were selling a hot tub on one of the shopping channels and touting how there was no need for an electrician. Now there is irony for you :-/

Many manufacturers sell 110V tubs that can be plugged in. Many of them - such as the type you probably saw on TV - are small, slow to heat, and have very few jets.

You may have to wait to get an electrician, but it will be worth it. I'm surprised your dealer did not make the electrical requirements clear to you before you had it installed. What brand /model dealer did you get? Where did you get it?
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

Patton

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 01:42:36 pm »
The dealer made it clear what was necessary and I have those things. I just need a bloody electrician to hook me up. I am not pining for a plug in model I was only pointing out the irony of my need for an electrician and then seeing this commercial for what I am sure is an inferior tub touting the lack of a need for an electrician when I need one oh so badly. In response to the question I have bought an artesian tub, dove canyon, in Lexington, Kentucky.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2007, 01:53:08 pm »
FWIW a 50amp GFCI will work fine with that spa,wont make a difference you still need an electrician. :'(

If you lived close to me I would hook you up,but then I would have sold you a Jacuzzi because we dont sell Artesians anymore.  That being said the Dove Canyon is a KickA-- spa!!  You will enjoy it!!  ;)

Nosher

• 2007 Sundance Chelsee Owner
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 12:37:40 pm »
Where are the pics!!??!!

Post em!

Patton

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 06:19:54 pm »
Posting Pics??? I have the pictures on my computer. What do I need to do to make them show up here? Help :-[

Patton

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 06:57:21 pm »

Patton

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 06:59:52 pm »
Ok, that was obviously a failure. Someone help me out here. Do I need to upload the pictures to a site and then punch the image button with the site address inside or what?

D.P. Roberts

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 07:17:50 pm »
Ok, that was obviously a failure. Someone help me out here. Do I need to upload the pictures to a site and then punch the image button with the site address inside or what?

Yeah, that's basically it. Upload your photo to photobucket or one of the other sites - they'll usually give you the code you can use to paste your image in a forum.

Patton

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2007, 09:28:17 am »

Patton

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2007, 09:39:03 am »
Ok, here we go with some pictures. At least I kept trying until success was mine. Sorry about all the weak and pathetic previous attempts.

This is the pit I dug for the gravel, sand and pavers to come.

Here is the gravel, sand and one "helper"

Close up of helper

Gravel, sand and pavers in pit

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2007, 09:39:03 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42