What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Drain & refill  (Read 3827 times)

Tropicaltam

• 2007 D1 Wayfarer
Drain & refill
« on: August 31, 2007, 03:08:39 pm »
I am in the process of draining & refilling my tub for the first time.  Had a couple of friends over last weekend, and after a few "adult beverages", somehow, an ENTIRE bottle of anti-foamer got poured into the tub.  Needless to say, the water turned pretty skanky and smells!  As I was nearing my 30 day mark as a new owner anyway, I thought it would be good to take the advice I've been given here and do my first drain/refill...and get the tub all cleaned out!!

My question is...and I hope this doesn't sound dumb...but when you drain, is it OK to let the water drain on your grass?  I've been told it's safe and wouldn't hurt anything, but I'm not really ready to risk killing my lawn.  The way I have it set up right now, I have hoses routed to the front of the house, draining to the street (and then down the street drains).  Which raises another question, what to do in the winter when it's icy/snowy?

Any suggestions out there?
Thanks, Tam  ::)

Hot Tub Forum

Drain & refill
« on: August 31, 2007, 03:08:39 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Drain & refill
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 03:33:17 pm »
 As long as there are no high levels of chlorine you should be fine,in some states its illegal to drain spa water into a sewer. 8-)

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 04:23:44 pm »
 Which raises another question, what to do in the winter when it's icy/snowy?

Any suggestions out there?
Thanks, Tam  ::)

Wait till Spring. ;)

Seriously, I drain and fill right after Thanksgiving and don't do it again until late March/early April.

Tropicaltam

• 2007 D1 Wayfarer
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 04:31:02 pm »
As long as there are no high levels of chlorine you should be fine,in some states its illegal to drain spa water into a sewer. 8-)

Thanks for the info!!  I certainly don't want to be doing anything illegal!  I know my chlorine level was zero, though...feel a little better.  The winter advice makes sense too.  Thanks!

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 11:23:40 pm »

I drain my spa on the lawn with no ill effects at all.

D.P. Roberts

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 11:53:26 pm »

I drain my spa on the lawn with no ill effects at all.

Yes, but by the time it filters through to your local streams, the chlorine can be very toxic to fish. However, it's better to let your lawn to some of the filtering first.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 06:22:19 pm »

Yes, but by the time it filters through to your local streams, the chlorine can be very toxic to fish. However, it's better to let your lawn to some of the filtering first.

I, too, do not drain until my free chlorine level is zero.

Im-A-Duck

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 06:27:56 pm »
I just drain it into the street drainage. I don't think the little bit of chlorine that is in the tub will cause the world global warming. The chlorine in the water out of my sink normally runs around 2. So it won't be a big deal even if your chlorine is 5 plus..

Just my opinion though.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 06:27:56 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42