What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: shocking vs. super-chlorinating  (Read 9607 times)

diane

shocking vs. super-chlorinating
« on: August 30, 2007, 02:37:21 pm »
We've had our Maxxus now for 1week!!!  So far so good with keeping the water balanced...I check it once day and make any necessary adjustments. I usually just have to add dichlor.  My question is what, if any is the difference between shocking and super-chlorinating?  My instinct is that they are the same but I'm just trying to learn as much as I can regarding chemistry of the water.  Also, I should shock 1x a week year round or just in the warmer months?  

thx guys

Hot Tub Forum

shocking vs. super-chlorinating
« on: August 30, 2007, 02:37:21 pm »

diane

Re: shocking vs. super-chlorinating
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 02:58:02 pm »
.........I guess I jinxed myself....after just testing today it appears that my ppm stabilizer is low.   Ph=7.8  FC=5  Total Alk=150  What needs to be done?  :-[

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 03:38:48 pm »
We've had our Maxxus now for 1week!!!  So far so good with keeping the water balanced...I check it once day and make any necessary adjustments. I usually just have to add dichlor.  My question is what, if any is the difference between shocking and super-chlorinating?  My instinct is that they are the same but I'm just trying to learn as much as I can regarding chemistry of the water.  Also, I should shock 1x a week year round or just in the warmer months?  

thx guys

Congratulations on your new Maxxus.  You ask a very good question.  I assume what you mean by shocking is adding non chlorine shock aka MPS.  I have actually learned some interesting information recently regarding this.  It seems that non chlorine shock works best as a maintenance procedure meaning it is something that should be done on a regular basis.  It oxidizes very well but doesn't do as well at eliminating choromines.  Shocking by superchlorinating will destroy chlorimines and oxidize but you must be sure to add enough to do the job or your water hasn't been shocked plus you'll have to wait a bit to use the spa and your CYA levels will raise quickly.  You only have to shock this way when your combined chlorine levels (CC=TC-FC) reach .2 ppm.

So what I get from all this is that if you use non chlorine shock, it should be used weekly or if there is an extraordinary amount of tubbing.  Doing this should keep your CC levels low and your water may never form chlorimines.  Superchlorinate when your CC level reach .2 ppm.  If you choose to shock by superchlorination only, it only has to be done when the CC reaches this level.  Many do a combination of both...for instance use non chlorine shock weekly and superchlorinate monthly.

Most of us use our spas more in the cooler months, so socking is a year round process.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 04:03:38 pm »
.........I guess I jinxed myself....after just testing today it appears that my ppm stabilizer is low.   Ph=7.8  FC=5  Total Alk=150  What needs to be done?  :-[

Things aren't too bad.  Your free chlorine level is on the high side of normal.  Your pH is also on the high side of normal, but could come down a little as well as TA.  You need to add a little dry acid (Spa Down, pH Down, Alk Down).  Bring it down a little at a time until pH is at 7.4.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 10:25:26 am »
Don't micro-manage your water!!!

You are real close in your readings and the ones that are slightly high will come naturally in time.

The range for pH is NOT 7.4. It is comfortable at 7.2-7.8 and this is where ppl get nuts. Sure there is a perfect pH but you'll never sustain that and hence the range provided will be fine. Alk will naturally lower over time and therefor bring down the pH slightly. My opinion...just leave it!

Steve

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 10:25:26 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42