What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Too Old?  (Read 6978 times)

Patton

Too Old?
« on: August 17, 2007, 04:22:04 pm »
I left my name with the local Hot Spring dealer telling them that I am interested in looking at any refurbished deals they have. I was sent a postcard saying that they have a refurbished hot tub. I called and they tell me that the spa is from 1989. I plan to go take a look at this spa tomorrow. I have never had a spa and would appreciate any information. Specifically, I am wondering about the date of manufacture and if this is just too old to be looking at. My understanding is that the spa will be completely gone over and come with a ninety (90) day warranty. This is a four person spa and the price quoted on the phone was nineteen hundred dollars ($1,900). Any and all thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Too Old?
« on: August 17, 2007, 04:22:04 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Too Old?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 04:48:49 pm »
Although Hot Springs (if it is a Hot Springs they have) run forever, I don't think I would put $1900 on a 18 YO spa. It may last 5 more years or not, motors can burn out & heater elements can go.

I personally wouldn't do it.

Patton

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 04:53:57 pm »
I appreciate the thought. This does bring up another question for me. At what price point would an eighteen year old spa become interesting if one considers the replacement costs of such things as motors and heater elements?

kevinv18

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 05:11:49 pm »
I'm guessing your looking for a good quality spa that isn't the price of most Hot Spring spas. Instead of going for an older spa I reccomend you look at brands such as Hot Spot and Solana. These brands are manufactured by Watkins, like Hot Spring, so they are pretty good quality. The main difference is that they aren't as luxurious Hot Spring spas, but they are significantly cheaper.

WannaSoakNow

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 05:30:50 pm »
What is your price range and what are you looking for in a spa? That might help folks recommend a spa that would meet your needs. You may find that in a new tub, if it was known what you have in mind.

ptSoaker

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 05:33:00 pm »
$1,900 for a 18 year old spa?  And a 4 seater no less....  WOW!   :o  Granted they are giving you a 90-day warranty but still...  FWIW when we were was looking at used spas last summer we could've picked up a 2-3 year old Jacuzzi J-365 (6 seater) from a private seller for $2,600.   That price seems VERY high to me.  Even if they'd take 1,000 ... I don't know... any of the components could fail after 90 days.

Being your first spa I recommend getting educated- shop around, do some reading on this site, then come up with a budget.   As Kevinv18 said.. there are some affordable new spas.    If you budget is limited, one of the manuf (Marquis I think) comes with a transferrable warranty which is a GREAT benefit.  The non-transferrable warranty was the reason we decided against the Jacuzzi.  

Patton

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 05:45:39 pm »
I suppose I am somewhat of bargain hunter type. I want to know that I received good quality for the money spent. I could come up with the money to purchase the tub that I like, but I am not really interested in spending 8-10k at this point for my first tub. I would like a tub for at least four that is high quality, but not at the price above. I like, as far as looking at this point as I am just getting started in this endeavor, the Hot Spring Prodigy and Vanguard. As I write this I think that perhaps the course of action for me is to wait for something a little newer to come to the dealer for refurbishment and sale. This is afterall the first one they have called me about and it has not been that long since I was in the shop. Additionally, after reading a number of posts I believe that I want to wet test several spas to get some idean of what truly does suit me in the way of a tub.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 06:27:16 pm »
I doubt you would be able to wet test a used spa unless you go to a shop that specifically sells used spas. And new versions of old spas might be different.

I might pay $500 but not for one that old.

Look in the local papers and see if anyone has one for sale for cheap. It's funny AFTER I bought my tub I had 2 people ask if I wanted an old tub.

Good luck in your search!

Patton

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 06:33:40 pm »
Now, I have a course of action. I will announce to everyone that I have bought the tub of my dreams and then select from the tubs that are offered. ;)

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 06:34:23 pm »
Too old and too much.

I'm sure if you're patient the right deal will pop up. :)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 06:36:26 pm by WHY_NOT »

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2007, 06:38:14 pm »
I'm a big Hot Spring fan, former owner of a 1993 Prodigy and presently, a 2006 Envoy, but I would never pay $1,900.00 for a 1989 tub.  That is just too old and too much.  I would rather buy a tub thats a few years old from a private source with no warranty than a tub that old, even if it does come with a 90 warranty.  Just wouldn't do it.  I can't see any tub that old being worth anymore than $500 or $600 bucks.  Plus, since you say its a four seater, I am assuming its a Jetsetter or Prodigy, which were to the two smallest and most inexpensive tubs produced by HS back then.  My 93 Prodigy only had one motor and 7 jets.
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

WannaSoakNow

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2007, 06:49:20 pm »
Hot Springs Sumatran, Hot Springs Bengal, Coleman 461,Coyote Spas, etc...There are many to choose from that are not in the 8-10K price range that seat 4-5 people! Are we not ALL in search of a good deal? I suggest shopping more. You can find a bargin, sometimes, with a floor model. With a new one you have the advantage of the warranty but, you know that.

Right now, in my area, there are two spa's on Craigs list, that are used & the owners have listed the # of the dealer that has serviced them. I even called on one, & checked with the dealer. The dealer was suprised that they were selling their spa. (The dealer offers a buy/ trade in on the spa's they service. The spa for sale is a  2000 Hotspring Prodigy; asking price $1900.) Nice spa. The dealer told me if I was interested in this spa he would let me see the service calls & go over it with me, refurbish if needed, up grade where necessary, charge me for labor & any possible parts, then give me a 90 day limited warranty. On that note I went back to "BUY NEW" I want the whole ball of wax with my purchase. Sure it was tempting but, 90 day's, not my idea of a good deal when I'm spending my hard earned cash. Even though the dealer has a sterling reputation. (It also was a tad bit bigger for my aloted space than I could go with)

Good luck with what ever you decide....as it goes, once you are relaxing in the spa, the price is very far from your mind. Test soak and decide what sounds the best for you.   :)

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2007, 01:32:43 am »
I wouldn't pay $1,900 for an eighteen year old spa. Go to http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ Choose your location.

Here's a good deal if you live in So Cal. http://sandiego.craigslist.org/for/399405632.html

Plenty of good deals out there for used spas. They go quickly though so you have to move fast.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 01:46:56 am by Gomboman »
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

The_Pa._Lady

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2007, 07:47:08 am »

Patton,

You mentioned you like the Prodigy.  We have one, and we love it.  Inexpensive to heat, verses the used one, that may cost much more to heat.  Very quiet.  And we only paid in the area of $6,000 with steps, ozonator, cover, chemicals.  

Good luck.

Patton

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2007, 03:09:59 pm »
We are suited up now and plan to wet test several tubs this afternoon. We are particularly interested in an Artesian tub 2006 Dove Canyon I think. Does anyone have any information on these tubs? For example you have one, you love it and here is why. Or... perhaps you hate it and here is why. This tub looks interesting as it is a floor model has the usual with it and is listed at 10k. Thoughts? Thanks for any and all input.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2007, 03:09:59 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42