What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Small Space for Small Spa HELP!!!  (Read 8760 times)

WannaSoakNow

Small Space for Small Spa HELP!!!
« on: August 10, 2007, 12:18:07 am »
Hello,
   Yup, another newbie. I have been seaching out as many different types of spa's that I can. I have been reading this forum and one other; decided that this forum seems to have a really friendly informative group that stays on the topic.
    I am in need of some info regarding a new hot tub. I have a small yard that I am almost finished with the landscaping. I do not have a large space to place the spa and am not interested in stereo's, colored lights, waterfalls etc. (more things to go wrong IMO)
    I just want a small spa that helps me relax at the end of the day and provides therapy for my body. I also do not have any future plans to entertain goups of people in my hot tub. Two, maybe three would be my limit; most occasions it will be me.
    I have a very limited group of hot tubs to choose from, as we do not have many dealers, in my area. What I do have to choose from are:
    1) Hot Springs - JetSetter or Solana TX (dealer 30 min away)
    2) Cal Spa - A534 (dealer 30 min the other way)
    3) Resort Spa by Artesian - 530L (dealer around the corner)

All of them seem to have what I am looking for and have a good dealer reputation. I have tried a dry test in all the above and will be doing a wet test in all of the above this weekend. Any help and/or coments about what to look for, the better choice of any of the above hot tubs etc. I would appreciate your advice. i.e. 110 vs 220, better filtration, jets, motors, shell, anything....thank you  :-/

Hot Tub Forum

Small Space for Small Spa HELP!!!
« on: August 10, 2007, 12:18:07 am »

96SC

Re: Small Space for Small Spa HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 07:18:39 am »
A couple of things we looked for when spa searching.  I have no experience with any of the tubs you are looking at, sorry.

How easy is it to clean the filters:  can they go in the dish washer or not?

Since all your choices are reasonably close you shouldn't have much of a concern on getting local support.

I'd suggest 220, so you can heat and run the jets at the same time.  If that isn't a big factor for you then 110 may be sufficient.  If you are in a cold part of the world go 220.

Jets?  You're going to have to determine that during the wet test.  The number of jets doesn't necessarily mean better---quality over quantity.

Happy searching :)
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

Cyn

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 08:12:41 am »
No Jacuzzi dealer?  The J-315 would be perfect...

bohms

• 2006 Artesian Piper Glen
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 09:50:31 am »
Hi - I don't see the Resort Spa by Artesian on their website??  I have an Artesian Piper Glen and we love it.  I know that most people on here will back the Hot Springs Jetsetter (with good reason).  I don't know anything about Cal spa but if you do some searches on this forum you'll see that the feedback isn't too positive.  I think you should let the wet test decide.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 11:14:20 am »
The Resort Spa is actually a line of spas made by Artesian.

Carefully compare filtration.

On a spa that size 110v should be fine.  If manufacturer does not offer it, you probably are looking at an energy hog spa.  You are heating less than 250 gallons.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

WannaSoakNow

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 11:17:14 am »
Thank you for the reply's. The resort spa 500 series is made by Artesian (at least I have been told by the dealer)
http://www.resortspas.net/    Has anyone ever seen or had one of these?

I wish we had Jacuzzi but the closest dealer is in Alabama....A tad far for me to go.

I like the Resort so far as it has two filters and does have 220. The seating is decent with plenty of room to stretch out. The lounger is configured well. I'll see how that feels this weekend after the wet test.

The Cal Spa has a cheaper feel to it and the cover over the filter is a very thin plastic lid. They do have this one in stock. It also sounded really noisy while running.

The Jet Setter looks nice and the dealer is top notch according to a few people I have met that have bought spa's from him.

Solana TX, as goofy as it looks, so far felt the best with the one deep seat and the other a bit shallower. I just don't like the 1 year warranty and the plastic look.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 11:19:21 am »
   1) Hot Springs - JetSetter or Solana TX (dealer 30 min away)
    2) Cal Spa - A534 (dealer 30 min the other way)
    3) Resort Spa by Artesian - 530L (dealer around the corner)

I would go with the Hot Springs or the Artesian.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 11:51:18 am »
If warranty is important to you , make sure you see it in writing before you buy.  Resort spas have a shorter warranty than Artesian and it is not on their web site.

WannaSoakNow

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 12:02:38 pm »
The Resort Spa is actually a line of spas made by Artesian.

Carefully compare filtration.

On a spa that size 110v should be fine.  If manufacturer does not offer it, you probably are looking at an energy hog spa.  You are heating less than 250 gallons.

Hottubdan....Could you please explain how I should compare the filtration? What questions should I be asking? What do I look for?

I think that only the JetSetter and the Solana are 110 w/option for 220 on the JetSetter. I don't know about the Artesian Resort. I'll give them a call and find out. It's not on the web site...in fact very little on this spa at all.

I thought that 110 vs 220 just pretty much meant that the 220 heated it faster? I had better re-check out the search part here and look for 220 vs 110. I guess I am missunderstanding it.

GEE buying a car is easier...so much to know...who da thunk it!!! :o

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 12:14:24 pm »
Go here for the filtration story.

If Term is lurking he can post his drawing.

http://www.hotspring.com/Spa_Showroom_Hot_Tub/spa_filtration.html

220v heats faster.  You can also run the jets and heater at the same time.

However, if you are in the south, on a small tub, you do not need 220v.  You relaxing soaks at the end of the day will be fine.  Your installation costs will be less for 110v than 220v.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 12:34:42 pm »
By the way, if you wanna soak now Hot Spring dealers can usually deliver faster.

WannaSoakNow

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2007, 01:45:59 pm »
Been reading the filtration info on a few threads here....I need to re-read them as the phone here at work keeps interupting me...Damn, inconsiderate of these clients!!! ;D

I'll check out all the info you kind folks have given me. Especialy the warranty info for the Artesian Resort.  I'll let you know how the test soaks on the 5 differnt spa's goes tomorrow. I'm sure I'll be totally confused by then....but very relaxed ;)

Thanks again for all the help!!!!!!!

96SC

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2007, 02:12:39 pm »
BTW, welcome to the forum.   8-)
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

D.P. Roberts

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2007, 05:16:24 pm »
Artesian and Hot Spring are both very reputable brands - I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

In regards to the "Resort" spas, they are owned by Artesian (technically, both brands are manufactured by May Manufacturing of Las Vegas). The warranty is in the owner's manual, which you can download from the Resort web site. It mentions a lifetime warranty on the shell structure (for leaks), a five year surface warranty, and a two year plumbing warranty. I may have missed something, but I didn't see a mechanical warranty (for pumps, heater, etc.). It looks like there may be a blank spot on one page, so it could be that it just didn't upload properly, but you might ask your dealer for a copy of the warranty.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2007, 06:04:02 pm »
Artesian and Hot Spring are both very reputable brands - I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

In regards to the "Resort" spas, they are owned by Artesian (technically, both brands are manufactured by May Manufacturing of Las Vegas). The warranty is in the owner's manual, which you can download from the Resort web site. It mentions a lifetime warranty on the shell structure (for leaks), a five year surface warranty, and a two year plumbing warranty. I may have missed something, but I didn't see a mechanical warranty (for pumps, heater, etc.). It looks like there may be a blank spot on one page, so it could be that it just didn't upload properly, but you might ask your dealer for a copy of the warranty.

I looked as well at the Resort warranty. Along with what you already posted, there is mention of 1 yr on the cabinetry but as you noted there is nothing on the heater/pumps/electrical which I assume to be an oversight (and I wish "lifetime" warranties could be somehow banned along with other fluff such as Brake HP).
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2007, 06:04:02 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42