What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Last chance to talk me out of it.  (Read 8388 times)

DSS

Last chance to talk me out of it.
« on: August 01, 2007, 01:31:43 am »
Hi everyone,

I've posted a little over at the poolspafourm.com but they're pretty predatory over there and this forum looks better.  My wife and I have been looking for spas for some time.  I've owned a Sundance before and was happy with the service and quality but the tub didn't provide any extra special fit for hydrotherpay and I tended to just leave the jets off.  This time I have been looking for great fit and I think I've found it after wet-testing Hot Springs, Sundance, Arctice, D1, and (our choice) Clearwater.  Clearwater was by far the best wet-test we had and we really liked the dealer.

However, from perusing the boards, it seems that Clearwater may have some problems which the top-tier companies do not.  We are located in Seattle, which is only a few miles from the CW factory, so we should be able to get pretty quick service.  I know all the rigamarole about full-foam vs. thermal shielding and have come to the decision that it's a draw.  I'd just like some responses to my decision: am I crazy to go with a 2nd tier company with the best fit, or should I convince my wife to go with any of the others that fit me well but do not fit her?

Hot Tub Forum

Last chance to talk me out of it.
« on: August 01, 2007, 01:31:43 am »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Last chance to talk me out of it.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 01:43:19 am »
Different forum.............. Pretty much the same posters  ;)
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 02:07:29 am »
Well, I'm not over at the other forum so there is at least one new opinion.  Clear ?who?  Sorry, but I don't know them so my 1st response is "don't count on it having ANY resale value" but if it fits and is REALLY inexpensive, it may work out for you.  When I say "really inexpensive", I mean UNDER $5,000.  If it's any more than that, you can get a decent name-brand tub.  Granted resale isn't the first thing on your mind when you are buying a tub but imagine if it doesn't fit (for some reason).  You could sell a name brand to someone else for pretty much near the price you paid ($6,500 Jacuzzi is probably worth $5K a year old whereas a $5K Clearwter is probably worth about $800 a year later).  Do yourself a favor and look in the local want ads and trade rags for resales to verify this premise.
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 07:42:27 am »
I am also the owner of what most would consider, "2nd tier"   I have no specific knowledge of clearwater though. Do you know of others in your area and how their experiences are?  I have no regret after 4.5 years. (Ok, I do have a regret that I bought from a dealer who is no longer around. (They were in business more than 20 years at the time, but things change.

There are a lot of us here who don't migrate to all the boards.  I don't let things get predatory here.  Well, beyond reason anyway.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 07:43:05 am by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

104 degrees

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 07:52:36 am »
Different forum.............. Pretty much the same posters  ;)

So true ;D Good morning doc 8-)

104 degrees

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 07:57:07 am »
Hi everyone,

I've posted a little over at the poolspafourm.com but they're pretty predatory over there and this forum looks better.  My wife and I have been looking for spas for some time.  I've owned a Sundance before and was happy with the service and quality but the tub didn't provide any extra special fit for hydrotherpay and I tended to just leave the jets off.  This time I have been looking for great fit and I think I've found it after wet-testing Hot Springs, Sundance, Arctice, D1, and (our choice) Clearwater.  Clearwater was by far the best wet-test we had and we really liked the dealer.

However, from perusing the boards, it seems that Clearwater may have some problems which the top-tier companies do not.  We are located in Seattle, which is only a few miles from the CW factory, so we should be able to get pretty quick service.  I know all the rigamarole about full-foam vs. thermal shielding and have come to the decision that it's a draw.  I'd just like some responses to my decision: am I crazy to go with a 2nd tier company with the best fit, or should I convince my wife to go with any of the others that fit me well but do not fit her?

Your just not getting the answer you want overthere. you might just want to buy the Clearwater and take the chance that most of us did when we didnt have forums like this.

Its not going to be easy and anything worth doing "or getting" is not.

get it and let us know.

104 degrees

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 08:04:38 am »
Different forum.............. Pretty much the same posters predators  ;D ;D  
Support your dealer so they can support you!

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 08:32:17 am »

I would say the helpful posters from there are here also.  The nasty folks don't make it here often.  It can get ugly there.

Since you are an experienced spa owner and you do some research on the stability of the manufacturer and you feel the price/value works, then I think Clearwater is worth consideration....especially where the factory is close by and they are a "local" company.  Just go forward with your eyes open. :o  

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 08:46:11 am »

I'm confining my "predatating" to this forum for the time being.  I got tired of being predatated over at the other one.   ;) :D

DSS: Although I am just an owner and not a salesman, I'll throw in my two cents.  I don't know anything specific about Clearwater, except they are not generally seen as one of the 1st tier tubs.  With that said, however, if your research finds the tub is built with good components and you have looks at the available reviews on line and are comfortable with the company and you are comfortable with history and reputation of the local dealer and you have wet tested it and other tubs and like it better, then you have done your homework, and your probably ok.  

I'm comfortable with Hot Spring due to my long history with them, however, I think I just lucked out buying my first tub from them.  Back then, I knew little or nothing about hot tubs.  Your on your second tub and the first one was a Sundance, so I think you probably have the experience to make a logical decision.  Good Luck.

Rich
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 09:24:24 am by Richs100 »
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 10:23:45 am »
I don't know if there are any of the C----- Gang around here, and Jim the nitwit  Jim isn't alloed to post here, but this forum does seem to conduct itself better than others.   Wm keeps us in line. If you want to talk trash, you go to the "other site" (kind of like your mom telling you to "take it outside").

Have you wet tested the tub?  Have you compared it to some of the tubs you conisder to be "top tier"?

what sold you on this tub as opposed to others (leave the Seahawks out of it....let's talk features and stuff).   ;)

Was budget a concern? Did you research the dealer at all?  And does clearwater have a warranty on line that some of the folks could look at and compare to the other major names?

07 Caldera Geneva

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 10:28:26 am »
Are you posting as DVH over there? looks like the tub is installed and up and running.  Too late to talk you out of it? ??
07 Caldera Geneva

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2007, 11:15:13 am »
Hi everyone,

This time I have been looking for great fit and I think I've found it after wet-testing Hot Springs, Sundance, Arctice, D1, and (our choice) Clearwater.  Clearwater was by far the best wet-test we had and we really liked the dealer.

However, from perusing the boards, it seems that Clearwater may have some problems which the top-tier companies do not.  We are located in Seattle, which is only a few miles from the CW factory, so we should be able to get pretty quick service.  

I don't have much knowledge of them other than to know they're a Northwest company making a thermopane spa but I followed the discussions on them on the other board and from reading your post I'd say:

1) You have at least done what people preach most, you've wet tested some of the better known spas and determined which ones fits/feels best. Kudos to you for taking the time to do so and if Clearwater was the clear winner then that should mean something.

2) I didn't think anyone on the other board said Clearwater had "problems which the top-tier companies do not", I think what may have been said by a couple people is maybe they have them at a higher rate. Being close to the factory and having faith in the dealer should count for something to help eleviate your concerns.

If you really liked the Clearwater best as you've indicated, go for it. They may not be the crowd favorite of people on that other board but I didn't think anyone was sayng they are someone to specifically avoid. Sometimes its more important to ask who to specifically avoid as it is to ask what other brands other people specifically like.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2007, 01:56:51 pm »
Who are you buying the spa from?  Clearwater stoves and spa's?   Been seeing there adds on TV quite a bit.

I dont think they are bad spas, to many jets for my liking,I have heard different thoughts on who does there service,theres a dealer in Arlington that sells them but the factory does the service on the ones he sells so your at the mercy of the factory to get there when they get there?  I have sold Jacuzzi's to some of there ex customer's that were less than thrilled when they needed service and had to wait a week or two to get it.

FWIW I sell Jacuzzi's in Bellingham.

Spiderman

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2007, 03:55:21 pm »
I checked out their website and it looks like any middle of the road hot tub.  Before we purchased our HotSpring Jetsetter, we looked at Great Lakes Spas.  Sure they were cheaper and talked a good talk, but the quality wasn't there.  I realized that any $$$ we saved up front, would be made up and then some during the life of our HotSpring.  Up here in Michigan, as any cold weather climate, we needed a tub that was well insulated.  You have to look at the life of the spa, IMO and make your choice from there.  Your budget, however will most likely be the key factor in making your decision.  We spent about 2K more than we wanted, but like I said, I know we'll make that up over the life of the tub.   Remember, you get what you pay for and you pay for what you get; a least most of the time anyways.  If you're comfortable with the Clearwater and you like it, then go for it! Good Luck!
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2007, 05:20:52 pm »
I think if it is the spa that fits you best and you are comfortable with it than thats all that really matters, I think the other forums issue was more about a poster who laid claim that it was a better spa than others he had considered and people who had experience with all of the mentioned brands were quick to point out that while it may be a great fit for him do not degrade the other spas because again based on their hands on experience the spa in its total simply was not in their opinion overall as good as spa.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2007, 05:20:52 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42