What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Shell Crack  (Read 17619 times)

Steve

• Ultimate Member
Re: Shell Crack
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2007, 04:23:19 pm »
Isn't it great that when something goes wrong that people inform you and allow you to improve on areas where there may be issues so it doesn't happen to someone else? Very thoughtful! Much better than just whining about it. I wish more people would speak up to the right person who has the ability to correct these types of complaints!

Steve

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2007, 04:23:19 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2007, 02:27:02 pm »
"

He calls and orders a cover for his tub.
 Credit card gets charged and 6 wks later he is calling for his cover. He is told they lost the order and will have to reorder and he should see in 4-6 wks.
6 wks later he calls again and is told the cover is shipping that week.
2 WKS later he finally tracks down the trucking company and gets his cover.

Still researching this............. You've got a 14 week time line listed

It looks like the order for the cover was completed by your friend March 29. 14 weeks would mean that the cover should be delivered July 5............. 4 weeks from now.  ;)

So far, our records show (and I am still looking into this);

The cover was ordered online March 27. It was ordered via "will call in with credit card number". The customer called late the 28 with the credit card number. We emailed the order to production the morning of the March 29th.

Apparantly the email never went through due to the mail server of our internet provider being in the middle of "imploding". We've since implemented a double confirmation policy to assure this kind of fluke doesn't happen any time in the future.

Our records show we resent the cover to production on April 23. This is less than 4 weeks later (not 6).  Our records also show the cover was then shipped out May 1 (one week later, not 6).

As I said, I'm still researching this. But I show the original internet order dated 3/27 (with notations of the customer calling in the CC number 3/29) and the invoice from my shipping company dated 5/1 for the cover.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 02:51:48 pm by lets »
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

thearm

• EMERALD CLASSIC all the way!!!
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2007, 05:33:11 pm »
Still researching this............. You've got a 14 week time line listed

Doc,
The time line is what I was told by customer. I have no way to verify other than what he said. It sounds like you have found a solution to the email getting lost and I commend you for that. The point is the customer felt like he was having a nightmare and he is the one that is relating the story to others. Unfortunately what is to some is just a little hipcup, to others it is a real pain in the behind. Thnak you for looking into this issue and shedding some light on it. As I said before I have ordered from you without any problems and will continue to do so in the future. But without interacting on this forum I probably wouldn't, based on this friends experience.

Mainer

« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2007, 09:44:34 am »
Just wanted to give an update.  Just got a letter from Watkins stating that although they could have repaired the tub, they are sending me a new one .  took about a month but I got results.  They initially wanted me to send my cracked tub to them for inspection then possibly send me a new one.  I told my rep that it was unacceptable, that I wouldn't go without a tub for the 1-2 months.  I also reminded my dealer that they represented watkins, had already sent their rep over to determine that I did not cause the crack, and that should be sufficient.  They agreed, and 2 days later notified me that when the new tub arrives, they will then swap them out.  Should take a couple of weeks.  Later, Bill

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2007, 09:56:11 am »
Nice to hear that they will take care of you.
07 Caldera Geneva

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2007, 04:29:53 pm »
Why is it every time I see a cracked spa people think they deserve a new one. All manufactures warranties state to repair. For fiberglass backed shells a crack is nothing more than an aesthetic problem that is easily remedied, for the ABS shells a crack will cause a leak but nevertheless it is a simple repair.

You only deserve what the warranty states.

To me a crack in a shell is equivalent to a scratch in a car, you would not ask for a new car if it had a scratch would you?
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2007, 06:55:31 pm »
 When you have a scratch in your car they don't send it away for 1-2 months.
I'm not familiar with the repairing of spa shells but if it was something that could be done on site or even at the dealer in a few days, I think you'd have a good analogy.

Now I'm curious to know if this 1-2 month repair for cracked shells is common practice? What do you dealers do when this situation arises on one of your tubs?

I personally think that Mainer went about this right way. I know I wouldn't be happy if I was without my tub for that long for something I had no control over. At very least, I would think that the dealer/manufacturer would give you a temporary spa while yours is being repaired. Afterall, that's what most car dealerships do...... ;)

Thanks,

Chad

Mainer

« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2007, 08:19:41 pm »
May
Why is it every time I see a cracked spa people think they deserve a new one. All manufactures warranties state to repair. For fiberglass backed shells a crack is nothing more than an aesthetic problem that is easily remedied, for the ABS shells a crack will cause a leak but nevertheless it is a simple repair.

You only deserve what the warranty states.

To me a crack in a shell is equivalent to a scratch in a car, you would not ask for a new car if it had a scratch would you?
Maybe 8 grand is nothing to you, but it certainly is alot of cash for me. You sound like a salesman.  I'm not.  I expect a product to last, defect free, longer than 8 months.  Bill

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2007, 09:48:05 pm »
I'm with you on this Mainer.  I had a crack in my 3 day old $14000 tub ($cdn) a couple of years back.  I too was devastated.  My freshly built pergola had to be dismantled in -20C and a crane brought in to R and R at my expense.  Not a tragedy in the grand scheme of things, but certainly not something that left a warm and fuzzy feeling either.  If the tub was a year old, I may have felt differently, but it wasn't.  The dealer completely agreed, and so did Sundance as it turned out.  They did what they felt was right given the circumstances and I got a new tub with little hassle.  If I bought a new Ferrari and noticed a small dent a day or two later, I don't think bondo would do it for me...
My two cents.
SB  

cak224

« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2007, 03:11:36 pm »
how big was the crack?  I noticed what looks like a scratch on the bottom of mine.  Could it be a crack?

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2007, 04:17:10 pm »
The crack was approximately 4" long, and the two sides had shifted making it easy to "feel".  It was probably there when the tub was installed, and I noticed it 3 days later while in the tub with the jets off in daylight.  
Steve

Mainer

« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2007, 08:54:19 pm »
Well the nightmare is over.  Caldera came through, with a little persistance on my end, with a brand new 07 Tahitian, with updates.  It was delivered and fired up today.  Life is good!   Bill

Renee

• '07 Jacuzzi J-365 in Nebraska
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2007, 09:01:22 pm »
Glad to hear everything turned out better than expected....persistence pays off!  Enjoy your new tub!!
--renee

104 degrees

« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2007, 06:15:03 pm »
Well the nightmare is over.  Caldera came through, with a little persistance on my end, with a brand new 07 Tahitian, with updates.  It was delivered and fired up today.  Life is good!   Bill

great company :) :) :) 8-) 8-) 8-) glad it worked out for you Bill

John 104 degrees

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2007, 06:15:03 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42