What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Shell Crack  (Read 17620 times)

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
Re: Shell Crack
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2007, 07:05:41 pm »
Okay, here's a question. Under the Caldera warranty, can't the dealer just repair the shell? The warranty on their web site says that "Watkins warrants the interior acrylic surface material of the Utopia, Aquatic Melodies or Paradise Series spas to be free from defects in material and workmanship for seven years", so we know it's covered. However, under "Warranty Performance" it states that "Watkins or its Authorized Service Agent will repair any defects covered by this warranty." That makes it sound like they could just repair the crack, rather than replacing the tub.

If that is the case, the dealer could take Mainer's tub, and spend a couple of weeks repairing the shell, & he'd be without a tub the whole time (loss of use of the tub during repair is not covered under warranty). I'm kind of with Doc on this one, but if I had to tear up my deck railing and then lose an 8-month old tub for several weeks for repair, I'd be pretty ticked - maybe not a nightmare, but definitely in the "bad dream where you're running around in your underwear" category. The dealer would certainly lose any repeat business or referrals from me if that happened.

However, if the dealer is going above and beyond by replacing the tub, I'd say that's a pretty good deal.

Now here's the next question- is the new tub under warranty beginning with the new installation date, or is it still considered "warranty work" under the old tub's warranty? That might be something Mainer wants to make clear with the dealer: otherwise, you just KNOW something will go wrong during that eight month gap several years from now.

Great points.  I believe one could almost guarantee that Caldera will replace the spa.  I don't think the dealer would take the hit or have to.  Generally the new tub would be under the "old" tub's warranty.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2007, 07:05:41 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2007, 09:47:14 pm »
I've been reading this thread and the one thing that hasn't been mentioned is if it is being replaced is there going to be a charge to do it. There was a poster on here a while back that haa Hot Springs that was replaced and the dealer and Watkins got another $800 (I think) because the new tub had more features and therefore cost more. This is something that I would want cleared up.

I would say that so far other than maybe getting a lemon, which can happen with anything, the dealer has been taking care of things. Probably as a owner, it can be considered somewhat of a nightmare but hopefully it will be taken care of and the new tub will be trouble free. What is considered "not a big deal" to one person may be "hell" to another - my wife gets upset when my jets break and swears I got a POS; I just call the dealer and have them replace them. I also have a set of jets for when the warranty expires which was provided by Artesian. Blowing off someone as over reacting is wrong in my opinion, this might be causing more stress in this person's life that he/she doesn't need at this moment.

As far as the warranty, I would think that the replacement has the remainder of the original warranty, that's how it usually works

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2007, 10:07:03 pm »

However, if the dealer is going above and beyond by replacing the tub, I'd say that's a pretty good deal.

Now here's the next question- is the new tub under warranty beginning with the new installation date, or is it still considered "warranty work" under the old tub's warranty? That might be something Mainer wants to make clear with the dealer: otherwise, you just KNOW something will go wrong during that eight month gap several years from now.

Its the manufacturer's warranty, not the dealer's.  The manufacturer is going beyond and replacing spa.

The manufacturer will make it clear to Mainer (perhaps through the dealer) that the warranty continues from delivery of original tub.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

D.P. Roberts

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2007, 11:24:51 pm »

Its the manufacturer's warranty, not the dealer's.  The manufacturer is going beyond and replacing spa.

The manufacturer will make it clear to Mainer (perhaps through the dealer) that the warranty continues from delivery of original tub.

Well, here's the original post:  "Emptied my tub yesterday, only to find a 2 inch crack in the shell while washing it down.  This is a 8 month old Caldera Tahitian.  Took pics and brought them to the dealer.  Said they would replace the spa a.s.a.p.  Haven't heard from them yet today.  I've got a funny feeling its going to be a while getting a tub to Maine from California."

Based on that, I got the impression that the dealer was going to replace the spa no matter what- that the dealer hadn't even contacted Watkins yet. Mainer was supposed to hear back today as to Watkins' response. I assumed the dealer was going to make it right w/ Mainer either way. I guess that's why I had a more positive view of what the dealer was doing to help Mainer out. I could be wrong.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

Mainer

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2007, 12:04:22 am »
Hey Guys, never thought this thread would get this long.  Anyway, I ended up calling the dealer today since they hadn't gotten back to me.  The woman told me she couldn't get through to the company.  Ya right.  Well she did call me back this afternoon telling me that she did e-mail the pic of the crack.  Now she is waiting for a response.  My guess is that they will try to replace my tub with the same 07 Tahitian.  Hopefully they got the same type left over at the factory.  I think the 08's are out now.  I will not settle for a refurbished tub, period.   Bill

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2007, 12:40:46 am »
Hey Guys, never thought this thread would get this long.  Anyway, I ended up calling the dealer today since they hadn't gotten back to me.  The woman told me she couldn't get through to the company.  Ya right.  Well she did call me back this afternoon telling me that she did e-mail the pic of the crack.  Now she is waiting for a response.  My guess is that they will try to replace my tub with the same 07 Tahitian.  Hopefully they got the same type left over at the factory.  I think the 08's are out now.  I will not settle for a refurbished tub, period.   Bill

'08s are not out.  They should get you an '07.  What color is yours, shell and skirt?

Mainer

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2007, 01:26:59 am »

'08s are not out.  They should get you an '07.  What color is yours, shell and skirt?
The skirt is grey, and I think the shell is maybe sterling  Kinda white with blue grey swirls.  It has the stainless rings around the jets, and the lighting. I'd have to look at my slip to make sure what the shell color is. If I'd know how to post a pic from my camera, I'd post a pic of the shell and crack.  I really have this set up nice on a cedar deck.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 01:29:50 am by Mainer »

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2007, 02:00:44 am »
If I'd know how to post a pic from my camera, I'd post a pic of the shell and crack.  I really have this set up nice on a cedar deck.
                                  For directions on how to post pics, click on this link.
http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1164600790/0

Mainer

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2007, 02:09:08 am »
                                  For directions on how to post pics, click on this link.
http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1164600790/0
Thanks, Bill

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2007, 02:18:36 am »
Thanks, Bill
Your welcome Bill.
If you have any troubles just let me know and I'll try to help.

Webini

« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2007, 08:29:21 am »

Unfortunately I'm not surprised the dealer did not get back to you.  Their reputation is poor to say the least.

Stay on them every day and don't accept anything but a new tub!

thearm

• EMERALD CLASSIC all the way!!!
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2007, 08:47:52 am »
"

WTF? There's a warranty issue. It happens to EVERY company. The company is taking care of it. Sh*t happens to everyone and THIS is the kind of thing that can make a company shine (or eventually file bankruptcy). From where I sit this looks like they're taking care of business (so far) as best as it can be done.

[/quote]

Doc, You want my nightmare? A friend asks me where he should buy a cover for his hot tub. I tell him I am a member on a great forum and everybody supports a great store for covers and chemicals. He calls and orders a cover for his tub. Credit card gets charged and 6 wks later he is calling for his cover. He is told they lost the order and will have to reorder and he should see in 4-6 wks. 6 wks later he calls again and is told the cover is shipping that week. 2 WKS later he finally tracks down the trucking company and gets his cover. Would you consider this a nightmare or just poor customer service? Maybe this falls under your(s---) happens!! Whatever it is, to my friend he is not happy and won't be referring any other customers.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2007, 10:35:03 am »
The skirt is grey, and I think the shell is maybe sterling  Kinda white with blue grey swirls.  It has the stainless rings around the jets, and the lighting. I'd have to look at my slip to make sure what the shell color is. If I'd know how to post a pic from my camera, I'd post a pic of the shell and crack.  I really have this set up nice on a cedar deck.

Those are standard colors.  If all goes well they should start making your spa next week.  8-)

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2007, 10:42:21 am »

Stay on them every day and don't accept anything but a new tub!

I believe that they do have the option to repair or replace as stated in the warranty and as DP mentioned. Depends on the severity of the crack. Acrylic repairs can be tough and I've only seen a handful of decent repairs at the factory level. I'm curious to hear how this gets solved and we're pullin for ya!

Steve

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2007, 02:12:12 pm »
thearm;

Am I correct in assuming this was one of our covers?  :-?

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. It's unfortunate, but sometimes I'm not informed of the "sh#t happens" incidences and therefore can't work at improving company policies and make employee changes to prevent things like this from ever happening in the future.

Do you know, when did this happen, as it may be an issue we've already corrected with some personnel / policy changes.

Also, can you PM me the full name of the person under which the cover was ordered? I need to research the exact detailed specifics of the "incident" in order to make any policy changes to prevent this from reoccurring (assuming it hasn't already been addressed).
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2007, 02:12:12 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42