What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: privacy  (Read 9716 times)

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Re: privacy
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2007, 12:06:11 pm »
There are many different Bamboo species, but the one that I have stays evergreen. If we get wet snow in the winter, the leaves  will become loaded with snow and the whole stalk will bend over. My kids used to love playing in the giant tunnel that the bamboo made. As soon as the snow melts, it bounces back in place. We use it for all kinds of things from fishing poles, to garden stakes. I even use it for clothes line props. The kids love to take green pieces and throw them into a camp fire. The bamboo stores so much water that it makes a loud almost explosive sound. It is definitly a fast and effective privacy screen!
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2007, 12:06:11 pm »

Nosher

• 2007 Sundance Chelsee Owner
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2007, 01:46:53 pm »
Nosh-

Would love to see the pics when you get done!!  Creative ideas are always welcome.

Thanks!
Cyn

Here is a shot of what the beech sticks look like....it comes in a roll 4 metres long and 2 metres high.

I will post a shot once they are up. We are also planning to put some lights on the beech for the night effect - you know, those little twinkly ones.....

Cheers
Nosh.

Lars

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2007, 01:52:31 pm »
Would love some ideas for privacy screening.  Need to screen two sides and one side needs to have something fairly close to the tub and about 6 feet tall or more because of a house set higher than ours with a second floor window within a direct sighting line.  
Have you considered an offset umbrella with zip-on screens?

Add material to screens, modify to suit, use when desired.  And if you get one with a rotating base and tilt, might not even need the screens.

Cyn

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2007, 04:17:18 pm »
Thanks so much for all the ideas!!  Rich, those pictures were worth a thousand words.  We had looked at screens like yours and we certainly won't be going back!!  I can never get over how things supposedly made to be outdoors sometimes rust within days.  Since planting is really out of the question...edge of patio too far from tub to screen that second floor neighbor's window, I will be looking into the other suggestions.  A lot of the on-line suggestions were for screens that are way to short even though they could be used closer to the tub.  Thanks everyone!!

104 degrees

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2007, 04:35:17 pm »
Thanks so much for all the ideas!!  Rich, those pictures were worth a thousand words.  We had looked at screens like yours and we certainly won't be going back!!  I can never get over how things supposedly made to be outdoors sometimes rust within days.  Since planting is really out of the question...edge of patio too far from tub to screen that second floor neighbor's window, I will be looking into the other suggestions.  A lot of the on-line suggestions were for screens that are way to short even though they could be used closer to the tub.  Thanks everyone!!

I got it!!! A hot tub umbrella ;)with a panal on one side 8-) I do not know how topost a pic or i would :'(

John 104 degrees

Lars

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2007, 04:46:33 pm »
Can't get an image, but I got a link.

10ft Offset Umbrella with Mosquito Netting

104 degrees

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2007, 04:50:27 pm »
Can't get an image, but I got a link.

10ft Offset Umbrella with Mosquito Netting

:)You go Lars 8-)

John

Cyn

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2007, 04:56:27 pm »
Lars--went to the link, thanks!!  Looks wonderful, but we get some pretty heavy winds and that was one reason we didn't want to do the screen pagoda's or whatever they are called.  The reviews on the link state the umbrellas don't do very well in the wind.  

Nosh--be sure and send the finished pics.  How will it all stand up...what about wind?

104 degrees

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2007, 04:58:33 pm »
Lars--went to the link, thanks!!  Looks wonderful, but we get some pretty heavy winds and that was one reason we didn't want to do the screen pagoda's or whatever they are called.  The reviews on the link state the umbrellas don't do very well in the wind.  

Nosh--be sure and send the finished pics.  How will it all stand up...what about wind?

You can build a "slanted roof" over your tub. some what like a house with no sides or just one side.

John

Lars

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2007, 05:02:59 pm »
Well, I'd throw the supplied base away and stick a pipe in the ground, then slip the umbrella in the pipe, drill through, slip in bolt to pin umbrella in place.

Yeah, I've got an odd location too.  ;)  Have a 18' octagonal deck, but they didn't make it a perfect octagon.  Framing a gazebo roof will not be fun.  This looks a heck of a lot cheaper.

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2007, 05:18:03 pm »

Cyn:
---If you went with the umbrella Lars found, I would recommend using a base that slides under the tub and is held there by the weight of the tub and its water.  I use one for my umbrella and it works great.  You just need to make sure that you get the right base for the right umbrella pole.  On my tub, the umbrella also doubles as a great hand rail for getting in and out of the tub when the umbrella is down.  Here's a pic of mine.  The base  slides right under the corner of the tub.

---Another alternative, although expensive, is an actual gazebo which is attached to the tub.  This is what I had on my old Prodigy.  It was made by an outfit called Sequoia and lasted for the life of my old tub (13 years) until it met Mr. Tree Limb.  My old one was made out of redwood to match old tub skirting.  The new ones I understand are made from the sythetic tub siding material now.  Here is a link to their webpage.    http://www.sequoiaworks.com/  

I didn't go with a new one on this tub because I realized how much I liked the night sky.  The umbrella and stand is perfect for me now.
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Cyn

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2007, 05:26:33 pm »
Lars--interesting installation idea, but remember that I would have to put the pipe in the patio and it is brand new so I don't think I will try that...although I may decide it is the best idea!!

Cyn

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2007, 05:29:16 pm »
Rich...WOW, your idea about slipping the stand under the tub is great and your setup looks perfect!!  I am with you on the night sky...thanks!

Lars

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2007, 05:35:37 pm »
Steel pipe, weld flange, concrete drill, bolts.  Yeah, I'm a draftsman… ;)  

Look around online, you can find several different offset umbrella/stand combos available. Wind is only going to be a problem if you leave the thing up during a storm.  Make sure to get a retractable.

Richs100, nice looking setup.  Now all you need is the screen enclosure.

104 degrees

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2007, 05:55:04 pm »
Rich...WOW, your idea about slipping the stand under the tub is great and your setup looks perfect!!  I am with you on the night sky...thanks!

All the spa umbrellas go under the spa unless there on a deck. they do close so you dont need to worry about the wind.

John

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2007, 05:55:04 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42