What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Please help-Caldera vs. D1  (Read 7705 times)

Tropicaltam

• 2007 D1 Wayfarer
Please help-Caldera vs. D1
« on: July 21, 2007, 01:32:28 pm »
Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone out there had an opinion to share.  I am having difficulty deciding between a Dimension 1 (Wayfarer) and Caldera (C45S).  They are both comparably equipped, and I have wet tested both twice now.  The Caldera is about $700 more, which really isn't a huge gap in the scheme of things (and it includes the GFCI).  I am just really having a difficult time choosing, and would appreciate any thoughts that might help me make my decision.  There are things I like more about each...it is just so hard to choose!!

Thank you,
Tam    :-/

Hot Tub Forum

Please help-Caldera vs. D1
« on: July 21, 2007, 01:32:28 pm »

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
Re: Please help-Caldera vs. D1
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 01:36:21 pm »
Have you wet tested yet?

Tropicaltam

• 2007 D1 Wayfarer
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 01:40:34 pm »
Yes, I've wet tested them both, twice now.  Even wet tested back to back, so things would be fresh in my mind....still can't decide!  I'm researching everything to death and I'm on information overload!   :-?

Thanks, Tam

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 01:49:45 pm »
You're definetly goin about every thing the right way. If you haven't yet done some background research on the two dealers, that would be my next step and whoever had the better track record would probably get my business.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 01:51:22 pm by WHY_NOT »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 02:06:21 pm »
OK...Here is a  difference about the manufacturers.

Caldera is a division of Watkins, which is a division of Masco.  D1 is a spa company.  

Watkins, as a part of Masco, is a publically traded multi billiion dollar Fortune 100 company.  This means, by law, they must have a reserve fund for their warranty.  No other manufacturer has to do so.  What this means to you is if, for any reason, the manufacturer goes away, you are still protected financially if you bought from a publically traded company.  You are not if you bought from a private firm.

Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 02:30:03 pm »
OK...Here is a  difference about the manufacturers.

Caldera is a division of Watkins, which is a division of Masco.  D1 is a spa company.  

Watkins, as a part of Masco, is a publically traded multi billiion dollar Fortune 100 company.  This means, by law, they must have a reserve fund for their warranty.  No other manufacturer has to do so.  What this means to you is if, for any reason, the manufacturer goes away, you are still protected financially if you bought from a publically traded company.  You are not if you bought from a private firm.

A reserve fund for the warranty.  Although I've never heard a Hot Spring dealer say it, I would think it's a good sales point too.
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 03:21:34 pm »
You know without turning this into a my Daddy can kick your Daddy %#@ or my is longer than ohh never mind that....There is a legitimate flip side to buying from a multi level publicly traded company that has to produce as well as grow profit margins each and every year to satisfy wall street. As to all of the sides to what that means I will abstain. But for me Personally I like the D-1 product better than Caldera but you would not make a bad decision with either one as both are solid and fine company's.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 04:18:58 pm »
I left out that I am sure you would enjoy either. ;)

Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

104 degrees

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 08:25:29 pm »
Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone out there had an opinion to share.  I am having difficulty deciding between a Dimension 1 (Wayfarer) and Caldera (C45S).  They are both comparably equipped, and I have wet tested both twice now.  The Caldera is about $700 more, which really isn't a huge gap in the scheme of things (and it includes the GFCI).  I am just really having a difficult time choosing, and would appreciate any thoughts that might help me make my decision.  There are things I like more about each...it is just so hard to choose!!

Thank you,
Tam    :-/

Does the caldera have the neck jets?? does the d1 have the Neck jets.

Are you in a cold climate?? are they both Full foam??

104 degrees

autoplay

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 11:28:00 pm »
Both spas are well made,and both represented by reputable companies. I own a 2003 Caldera Geneva Utopia,and I'm very happy with the comfort,and my buying decision of said spa.

Take your time,think of the pros/cons of each spa,make a checklist,in comparision.
Lastly,and MOST important,what does your spouse feel bout either spa? ;)

Tropicaltam

• 2007 D1 Wayfarer
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 01:22:19 pm »
Thank you everyone for your great advice!  Yes, they are both great companies and I think they both make a great product.  I think I would have fun in either...just hard to choose...like parts/aspects of each of them.

Both have the neck jets; D1 has an adjustable neck jet cushion, while Caldera is molded but has a nice fit and feel.  Both are full foam (insulation is important, especially here in Nebraska).  Realistically, they both have everything that's essential.  The Caldera is a little larger (7'5" X 7'5", 475 gal) vs. D1 (7' X 7', 275 gal)...and you really don't gain that much more room (more water to maintain?).  I guess it comes down to the little things/features that will vary from person to person on what's important.  I just needed a little push to tip one way or the other (my man really isn't too helpful in making the choice, he says it's up to me and get whichever one I like the best... ;) ).

I really liked the advice someone gave about taking a good look at both dealers.  Although both are respectable, with good records (BBB), and knowledgeable staff...one of them I thought was definitely better.  The service was above and beyond, the staff were all friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable.  They weren't pushy and worked together...and were so honest!  They even greeted me by name each time I came into the store.  I imagine they will be just as good in helping me maintain my tub.

After much discussion, and a long conversation with the store owner, I've decided to go with the D1!   ;D  I just put my down payment down...got to get an electrician over here now.  I look forward to chatting with you guys as a new hot tub owner!!

Thanks again, Tam

anexela

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007, 01:59:42 pm »
Tam, do u ming telling us what you paid for D1? I just started looking for a spa and what to know what other people pay.

Thanks
Alex

Tropicaltam

• 2007 D1 Wayfarer
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 02:46:56 pm »
Tam, do u ming telling us what you paid for D1? I just started looking for a spa and what to know what other people pay.

Thanks
Alex

No problem.  The model is the Wayfarer.  It has an upgraded shell, upgraded chrome/SS jet rings, and stereo system...which did up the price a bit.  I was told it usually sells in the $9500-9900 range, but I got mine for $7495.  This includes delivery, set-up/installation, chemicals, and instructions.  They also included the stairs and the cover lifter.  I have to hire the electrician separately, under state code, but the guys from the store gave me a great reference for this.  Hope this helps!

Tam

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2007, 05:46:03 pm »
Congrats Tam!

You are going to love your tub. Sounds like the background check was a success as well. When is delivery scheduled and what color combo did you go with?

Cheers,

Chad

« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 05:55:34 pm by WHY_NOT »

anexela

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007, 01:15:21 pm »
Tam, I don't see C45S on Caldera's web site. Does this spa have a different name?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007, 01:15:21 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42