What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Nature2 verses HS Silver Ion Cartridges  (Read 11237 times)

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
Nature2 verses HS Silver Ion Cartridges
« on: July 21, 2007, 11:18:26 am »
Hey all
Dr. Spa recently let us know about a "Buy 2, Get 1 Free" mail in offer from Zodiac, the makers of Nature2.  Good til the end of September.  Since the Nature2 cartridge look almost exactly like the HS Silver Ion cartridge, I am trying to figure out if they are interchangeable with a Hot Spring tub.  It looks like the cartridge may have a different stem attachment and are inserted in the opposite direction, but I wondering if I could use the Nature2 in my tub by substituting the old stem from my last Silver Ion Cartridge.  Anyone know?

I'm posting some pics.  (I stole the N2 pic from Dr. Spa...again)
Also, Dr. Spa:  I could not find a listing for the Silver Ion cartridges on your site.  Do you sell them?
Thanks, Rich

If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Hot Tub Forum

Nature2 verses HS Silver Ion Cartridges
« on: July 21, 2007, 11:18:26 am »

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
Re: Nature2 verses HS Silver Ion Cartridges
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 11:20:39 am »
Somebody mentioned a few days ago that they are indeed the same thing except the color and how they are installed in the filter chamber?

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345

Richs100

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 11:32:54 am »
Chad - thanks for the link.  But the problem is I am still not sure.  Vinny said yes, just use the old stem.  But Hottubdan said they are different.  I wanted to see if anyone knew for sure before I order a couple of N2 cartridges that I can't use.  There also seems to be a slight lip at the bottom of the HS cartridge.  I could see where that might prevent a HS cartridge from fitting an N2 hole, but not necessarily vice versa.  

It's a pretty good deal, pricewise, so I wanted to take advantage of it if I could.

Hey Chad, do you use N2?  If it's not too much trouble, it would be great if you could take a pic of your cartridge and post it so I could compare the two close up. (or just take a good look at your cartridge and let me know if you see that that lip on yours too.  
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 11:37:35 am by Richs100 »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 12:01:48 pm »
Rich,

They are similar not identicle but after seeing the stick they probably are almost identical except for the modification to fit into the HS filter.

Typically, the N2 cartridge has a stick that you install on the bottom to position it correctly inside the filter. It looks like the HS cartridge uses a small adapter that might fit onto the nub on the bottom.

I suggest to go to a non-HS store (Leslies or something) with that adapter and see how it fits. I'm 90% sure that there won't be any difference.

What does that lip on the cartridge do? I think the inportant part is the holder that fits onto the nub.

Richs100

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 12:04:23 pm »
Thanks, Vinny.  Going to a non HS store is a good idea.  Didn't think of that.  I'll let you know.

loosenupspas

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 01:14:55 pm »
Hey....try this....call Zodiac.....there is an too free number on the box and and on the website...they will return your phone call and ask them if it is ok to use N2 in your HS.  

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 04:31:30 pm »
I have been using the N2 in my HS Envoy without a problem.  As others have said they are identical except for color and the method of holding them in the spa.  The HS holds with an over-sized ring from the top and the N2 with a stick from the bottom.  As an experiment I have removed the ring from the HS filter and used it on the N2 but it's easier to use the sticks.  The Envoy works with just one of the sticks.

Richs100

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 05:02:29 pm »
I have been using the N2 in my HS Envoy without a problem.  As others have said they are identical except for color and the method of holding them in the spa.  The HS holds with an over-sized ring from the top and the N2 with a stick from the bottom.  As an experiment I have removed the ring from the HS filter and used it on the N2 but it's easier to use the sticks.  The Envoy works with just one of the sticks.

Tony
That's good information to hear.  Just so I have it right, you are inserting the N2 stick in the bottom of the cartridge and inserting it upside down from how we would normally insert the HS cartridge? (With the HS cartridge properly inserted, the stick is normally on top)
Thanks
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 05:05:18 pm by Richs100 »

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 05:37:06 pm »
Correct - stick is down.  Sometimes you have to wiggle it a little to remove it but that's it.  I used the HS the first 2 times and have used the N2 ever since.  Usually get 3 at a time which is a year's supply.  They used to be about $14 each on ebay but they've gone up quite a bit.

Richs100

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2007, 07:00:22 pm »
Thanks everyone!  As usual, you guys are great at this stuff!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007, 11:57:12 pm »
Official answer: they are NOT THE SAME - the yellow cartridges will drop down into the HS filter standpipe and may block the flow of water through the circ pump. You can put the little stick thingy on them and drop them in stick-first, adjust it just so you can get it back out again. Wow, this is going to open some jokes...

Anyway, same stuff inside, just the 'shoulder' on the gray ones to stop them dropping in too deep.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Richs100

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2007, 07:17:45 am »
Ok.  Now I'm apprehensive again.  Chas:  Do you know if putting the stick in the down position prevent blocking the water flow?  There is nothing worse than getting an N2 cartridge stuck in your circ pump!  ;D ;D

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2007, 03:59:42 pm »
Putting the yellow N2 in stick first will not block the flow. Just don't put the gray handle on them and drop them in as you would a Fresh Water gray version.

8-)

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Richs100

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007, 04:19:16 pm »
Thanks, Chas.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007, 04:19:16 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42