What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Is anyone using a Master Spa where it snows?  (Read 7196 times)

Nitrousman

Is anyone using a Master Spa where it snows?
« on: July 17, 2007, 04:03:27 pm »
Looking for info on how well the tub performs in the winter months where it gets below freezing for most of the winter and if it really drives up your monthly electric bill? THanks.

Hot Tub Forum

Is anyone using a Master Spa where it snows?
« on: July 17, 2007, 04:03:27 pm »

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
Re: Is anyone using a Master Spa where it snows?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 06:47:02 pm »
If they are I would hate to see their electric bill. ;D
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 08:28:38 pm »
Looking for info on how well the tub performs in the winter months where it gets below freezing for most of the winter and if it really drives up your monthly electric bill? THanks.

Though Master isn't the most loved brand on this forum, I highly doubt they run more than 40 or $50 per month throughout the winter months. That is higher than other spas that would be closer to a buck a day but then again, they might be the same as others? I don't have the proof or documentation to suggest otherwise and I doubt others here do either... :-X

Steve

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 07:18:13 am »
I live in the Minneapolis area, and there is a Master Spa dealer right up the street from my office.  They've been in business as long as I can remember- it gets plenty cold here in the winter.  So yes, they are sold in the snow belt.  
 I don't know how they perform in the cold relative to other spa, since I don't own one.

ANY spa is going to cost you to run in the winter.  It takes some electricity to keep a few hundred gallons of water at 104 degrees when the ambient temperature is below zero.  They are probably in the same general ballpark as othere spas, I'm guessing, and your actual costs will vary greatly with your electric rates.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 07:21:13 am by Brewman »
Brewman

saben

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 10:15:37 am »
Just sold a house in which I had a Master Spa in PA. My electric would run about 30-35 dollars more in the winter. I would turn it down to 95 or so when I knew I would not be using it for a couple of days but this might be only a couple of times a month. The spa got used every night by several members of my family so it got used heavily. Only had one problem in 2.5 years of buying it. Dealer took care of it within a day. I bought a new house and will buy a new bigger spa and yes, it will be a Master spa or Bullfrog because the dealer is great and takes care of his customers.

104 degrees

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 10:19:57 am »
Just sold a house in which I had a Master Spa in PA. My electric would run about 30-35 dollars more in the winter. I would turn it down to 95 or so when I knew I would not be using it for a couple of days but this might be only a couple of times a month. The spa got used every night by several members of my family so it got used heavily. Only had one problem in 2.5 years of buying it. Dealer took care of it within a day. I bought a new house and will buy a new bigger spa and yes, it will be a Master spa or Bullfrog because the dealer is great and takes care of his customers.

Good Morning Saben

Can you tell me what you like about the Bullfrog spa besides the dealer. we dont have a dealer near us to look at them.

Thank you john 104 degrees

Shawnm

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 11:16:58 am »

Though Master isn't the most loved brand on this forum, I highly doubt they run more than 40 or $50 per month throughout the winter months. That is higher than other spas that would be closer to a buck a day but then again, they might be the same as others? I don't have the proof or documentation to suggest otherwise and I doubt others here do either... :-X

Steve
Steve,
you are so rite about Though Master isn't the most loved brand on this forum. I have one & I love it & I live in north  New Jersey & it will only run you about $35 to $40 month that 's when it was 10 to 0 out.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 11:54:57 am »
I have a friend who purchased a Down East, which is Master Spa's second line (I guess that is what you would call it). I have asked her many times about how the tub performs and about her electric bills. She is very pleased with the tub, it gets lots of use and she said her electric bills were what they expected. (I get from that, she doesn't pay much attention and it hasn't been way out of line) We are located in Pa near the Delaware line, so we get some pretty cold weather in the winter. So far, in over 2 years of ownership, they have had no issues or repair calls. The only thing that she has ever complained about is the deep seats. But since she didn't wet test the tub, she has to deal with it. she actually bought the tub at one of the famous Master Spa shows near Philadelphia. She felt that she got a good deal, but she admits to buying under pressure.  Whatever, she is  happy with her purchase.
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 12:08:09 pm »

Just for the record, it's much more effecient to maintain the temperature than cool it down and reheat it unless we're talking about being a away for weeks as opposed to days.

Steve

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 12:10:03 pm »
Steve,
you are so rite about Though Master isn't the most loved brand on this forum. I have one & I love it & I live in north  New Jersey & it will only run you about $35 to $40 month that 's when it was 10 to 0 out.

Sounds like it's "in the ballpark" to me... 8-)

Steve

Nitrousman

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 03:57:58 pm »
Well it sounds like it's cheaper to run than my 1990 Cal Spa that costs around $70 a month in the winter. This is a FS 670 5 seater spa. The FS stands for freedom Spa which I think was one of their cheaper lines of Spa's but it looks like it's in good shape for a 1999/2000 since it's been inside all it's life. He wants $600 for it and I'll just need to get a cover. Thanks for the info.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007, 04:00:29 pm »
A good cover will be critical.  Sounds like you are getting the info you needed. Good luck and let us know how it works out.
07 Caldera Geneva

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2007, 04:07:01 pm »
Doesn't Master offer two different types of insulation, One Foam filled and one Thermal Pane?  I could see a difference in economy between those two versions.  I wonder which the Master Owners who responded here own?
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2007, 04:49:56 pm »
I believe you are correct there, at least that's the same thing I heard.  Full foam is an extra cost, IIRC.

Brewman

Nitrousman

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2007, 05:04:56 pm »
I'm pretty sure the one I was looking at isn't fully foamed but the repair shop said that was better if you ever had a leak it was much easier to find. They suggested using black garbage bags packed with house insulation placed around the tub everywhere except by the motor to keep it insulated.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2007, 05:04:56 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42