What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: By Cracky...It Finally Happened!  (Read 14005 times)

104 degrees

Re: By Cracky...It Finally Happened!
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2007, 01:18:04 pm »
Yes, they are both manufactured by Watkins.

Thank you Chad!!

I love the Neck jets in the caldera but i love the hot springs Reputaion.

Is the caldera close in customer satifaction as HS?? is the full foam like HS??

Thank you again 104 degrees. John

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2007, 01:18:04 pm »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2007, 01:31:46 pm »

We are busy as we have over 7,000 customers covering all of NE Texas and NW Louisiana.  Several thousand square miles, long distances, etc.  Our company policy has always been to take care of OUR customers first...and second....and third.  We have 3 full-time, factory certified, salaried technicians.  One does service full time, one does deliveries full time, the other manages our beautiful, fully stocked warehouse and parts department.  He also refurbishes trade-in spas for resale (Watkins Spas only, everything else goes in the trash dumpster...even a 6-month old Beachcomber if anyone around here sold them).

On top of that, we don't want the liability associated with some of these off-brands.  Once you perform service on one of these spas, you are married to it.  No thank you.  Instead of wasting time and effort trying to deal with some of the ill-managed spa manufacturers out there, we would rather concentrate on keeping our customers happy as that is where our loyalties reside.  Loyalty is very important in this part of the world and it goes both ways.

When someone comes in with an off-brand spa that they can't get parts or service for, I give them Doc's web address.  If they're still not able to find what they're looking for, I offer to take their spa in on trade....$400 off the price of a new HotSpring Spa.  We will also dispose of their defective spa free of charge!  We pick up about 40 new customers a year this way.

Money isn't everything.  We've been doing business this way for 22 years...it works just fine for us and our customers. :)

Terminator

Just so I'm clear and understand you right Chris, are you referring more towards service contracts with alternate spas that are still in warranty in all of this? I'm certainly not. I'm speaking more from servicing spas of customers that require service work not in warranty. We too had over 7000 customers in our database but also serviced other brands as well as commercial pools and spas in all of northern and central Alberta.

I would hate to send these people away and although money isn't everything,  ::) it's why you work for a living and the reason the word "profit" exsists for business owners. Ask the owner of the store why he went into business and if the first answer isn't to make money, he just lied to you!  ;D

I'm not trying to change the way you do business but rather understand why a company would choose to miss out on the profits accosicated with service? Obviously, it sounds like you're plenty busy with HotSpring repairs and can't take on anymore without loosing the quality of your service to your exsiting customers. Makes sense if that's the case.

Steve
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 01:34:38 pm by Steve »

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2007, 01:38:53 pm »

Thank you Chad!!

I love the Neck jets in the caldera but i love the hot springs Reputaion.

Is the caldera close in customer satifaction as HS?? is the full foam like HS??

Thank you again 104 degrees. John
I think Term, Chas, or Dan would be much more qualified to answer this question than I, Sorry.

104 degrees

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2007, 01:45:41 pm »
I think Term, Chas, or Dan would be much more qualified to answer this question than I, Sorry.

I read it to fast. i thought you where chas. I'm sorry.

104 :)

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2007, 02:16:43 pm »

It must make it as godder as what you sell.

Term, I have a Quetion. Does hot springs make Caldera spas?? I'm looking at one from hot springs and caldera, the seem to be the same shell????

john 104 degrees

To clarify.

[glow]NO[/glow] Hot Spring does not make Caldera.  They are both owned by Watkins.  They are made in different factories with different processes.  The shell colors may be the same, and the surface is the same, but the Caldera is fiberglass backed (like most spas) and Hot Spring is backed with ABS.

They are simply not the same.  Are Cadillac and Chevy the same?  They are both owned by GM.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

104 degrees

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2007, 02:24:17 pm »

To clarify.

[glow]NO[/glow] Hot Spring does not make Caldera.  They are both owned by Watkins.  They are made in different factories with different processes.  The shell colors may be the same, and the surface is the same, but the Caldera is fiberglass backed (like most spas) and Hot Spring is backed with ABS.

They are simply not the same.  Are Cadillac and Chevy the same?  They are both owned by GM.

Are you saying that caldera is the lower end of the watkins line??

John 104 degrees

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2007, 02:33:13 pm »

Are you saying that caldera is the lower end of the watkins line??

John 104 degrees

I am saying they are different.  But when claims are made that they are the same or Caldera is made by Hot Spring, that is false.

Hot Spring is Watkins' flagship line.  Caldera is another line more similar to Sundance.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

104 degrees

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2007, 02:51:20 pm »

I am saying they are different.  But when claims are made that they are the same or Caldera is made by Hot Spring, that is false.

Hot Spring is Watkins' flagship line.  Caldera is another line more similar to Sundance.

Will hot springs ever have the "neck jets" like Caldera???

104 degrees

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2007, 03:11:52 pm »

Just so I'm clear and understand you right Chris, are you referring more towards service contracts with alternate spas that are still in warranty in all of this? I'm certainly not. I'm speaking more from servicing spas of customers that require service work not in warranty.

I'm saying we do not service ANY brand of spa except the following: HotSpring, Tiger River, Solana, HotSpot...and the 2 Caldera Spas we sold back in 2001.  If someone sells a person a spa, they should service it.  If they won't, I'm sorry, the person should've considered that when they were shopping.  Not my responsibility...my customers are.

I would hate to send these people away and although money isn't everything,  ::) it's why you work for a living and the reason the word "profit" exsists for business owners. Ask the owner of the store why he went into business and if the first answer isn't to make money, he just lied to you!  ;D

The owner of our company is independently wealthy...if we make money selling spas, hey, that's great.  If we don't make money one year...oh well, we'll do better next year.  I have great job security, I get paid very well for what I do, all of our employees do, and our paychecks never bounce.  I'm sure there's no other spa company like ours, at least that I've ever heard of.  We do sell a lot of spas, though, and we make a nice living.  You'll never hear me complain about my job!

I'm not trying to change the way you do business

Good, you'd be wasting your breath.  It's not my business anyway, and my boss is obviously pretty successful, I would imagine moreso than any of the other spa dealers I know of.

but rather understand why a company would choose to miss out on the profits accosicated with service?

Not having the aggravation, not wanting our good name associated with garbage spas, not wanting to shortchange our very valuable customers, not wanting to deal with trying to get parts from crappy spa manufacturers, etc, etc.

Obviously, it sounds like you're plenty busy with HotSpring repairs and can't take on anymore without loosing the quality of your service to your exsiting customers. Makes sense if that's the case.

Steve

Our service department is profitable.  Our goal is to have our service department cover all of our overhead (we know a few spa dealers that do this).  Once we get there, everything else is gravy.

Outside of replacing the auxilliary control panels that we've had problems with the last year and a half, cleaning filters, replacing circ pumps from time to time, and taking people new covers, moving their spas to new homes...we don't have that many repairs.  We certainly have fewer major repairs than most, if not all spas (leaks, cracks, pumps).  I read all these horror stories on line about pumps going out all the time and spas cracking and it makes me really glad we sell what we sell! :)

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2007, 03:17:13 pm »
It must make it as godder as what you sell.

Term, I have a Quetion. Does hot springs make Caldera spas?? I'm looking at one from hot springs and caldera, the seem to be the same shell????

john 104 degrees

I'm sorry, got busy there for awhile!

Yes, Watkins bought out Caldera around 2000, I believe.  We carried Caldera 1 year, sold 2 or 3, and decided to just stick with who brung us.  It's my understanding that Caldera is doing great and the spas are really gaining in popularity.  We may even end up selling them again at some point.  Not sure about the shell, Chas would know as he sells both. :)

Never mind, saw where hottubdan answered the question.

Dan, how's the World's Greatest Spa Salesman doing with you guys? :D

Term
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 03:18:41 pm by East_TX_Spa »

104 degrees

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2007, 03:28:18 pm »

I'm sorry, got busy there for awhile!

Yes, Watkins bought out Caldera around 2000, I believe.  We carried Caldera 1 year, sold 2 or 3, and decided to just stick with who brung us.  It's my understanding that Caldera is doing great and the spas are really gaining in popularity.  We may even end up selling them again at some point.  Not sure about the shell, Chas would know as he sells both. :)

Never mind, saw where hottubdan answered the question.

Dan, how's the World's Greatest Spa Salesman doing with you guys? :D

Term

Thanks terminator.

When will hot springs have the neck jets like Caldera??? this is the one thing i need.

104 degrees

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2007, 03:33:41 pm »
If you need the neck jets, the go for the Caldera.  I don't think you would be disappointed.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2007, 03:34:25 pm »
When will hot springs have the neck jets like Caldera??? this is the one thing i need.

104 degrees

I have no idea, but I will send a transmission to the Mothership requesting that the Supreme Leader consider doing so for your sake. :)

Term

104 degrees

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2007, 03:42:41 pm »

I have no idea, but I will send a transmission to the Mothership requesting that the Supreme Leader consider doing so for your sake. :)

Term

Thanks term :) I'll send you an ice cream :)

104 degrees

Oh BTW i'm looking to set up a dealership here and in Florida. it would be nice to have a Hot springs with neck jets .

thanks again :)

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2007, 04:16:36 pm »

I'm saying we do not service ANY brand of spa except the following: HotSpring, Tiger River, Solana, HotSpot...and the 2 Caldera Spas we sold back in 2001.

I kinda figured that out...

If someone sells a person a spa, they should service it.  If they won't, I'm sorry, the person should've considered that when they were shopping.  Not my responsibility...my customers are.

What if my dealer went out of business? How was I to know? What if I don't like the service and didn’t realize that prior to the purchase? What if I want to explore alternate spa dealers and their service for my future spa purchase? I guess I can eliminate your store…

The owner of our company is independently wealthy...if we make money selling spas, hey, that's great.  If we don't make money one year...oh well, we'll do better next year.

and I'm guessing he didn't become this way by being flippant about revenue either...

I have great job security, I get paid very well for what I do, all of our employees do, and our paychecks never bounce.  I'm sure there's no other spa company like ours, at least that I've ever heard of.  We do sell a lot of spas, though, and we make a nice living.  You'll never hear me complain about my job!

Most successful spa companies pay well so I don't think anyone here is shocked. It's part of HOW they became successful. You have no clue if there is another spa company like yours (or even better) as you have limited exposure to only one brand so lets not go there. I can tell you that I would think there are many but hey... I’d be wasting my breath.

I thought we were the best too so I don't blame you...  ::) I blame the Kool-Aide.

Good, you'd be wasting your breath.  It's not my business anyway, and my boss is obviously pretty successful, I would imagine moreso than any of the other spa dealers I know of.

Nice attitude and I wish I knew everything and never had to consider change for the better! Did all those people you learned from waste their breath too or are you just saturated with knowledge and wisdom now? Awaiting hilarious response...

Not having the aggravation, not wanting our good name associated with garbage spas, not wanting to shortchange our very valuable customers, not wanting to deal with trying to get parts from crappy spa manufacturers, etc, etc.

Associated with your company’s good name? Gimme a break! You service them...that's all. Just like the auto service center ‘round the corner repairs most makes of cars. Heck, this could even be a chance to gain some knowledge on other spas too! This may be hard to digest but not ALL spas other than HS are garbage Chris. Knowledge is power and expanding that knowledge can never hurt.

We certainly have fewer major repairs than most, if not all spas (leaks, cracks, pumps).  I read all these horror stories on line about pumps going out all the time and spas cracking and it makes me really glad we sell what we sell! :)

Talking out the side of yer a$$ again I see. One day you'll be able to back up these
ridiculous claims I'm sure... ::)

Steve

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2007, 04:16:36 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42