What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Am I thinking too small? (no pun intended)  (Read 9788 times)

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Am I thinking too small? (no pun intended)
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2007, 09:54:10 am »
Of course, only you can give the right answer.  We bought a 6 person spa when it was my wife and daughter and I. Now it is just the two of us. But its nice having the extra room and each seat has something to offer. . In your case, being alone, take a look at covers and coverlifters.  If that gets too heavy you will be less likely to use it in the winter when it is the best.

BTW, where in Ohio?

I agree that the extra room is nice, but also don't forget you will have much more therapy options with a larger tub.

A smaller tub offer's less variety and jet choices.   If space, and price allow, I would be looking at a mid sized spa that has 5 seats or so and offers a variety of jets that hit the different areas of the body (back,: upper, lower) legs, calfs and soles of feet etc)

:)
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2007, 09:54:10 am »

KY Girl in OH

• I in yur sink . . . soakin mah pads!
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2007, 10:18:51 am »
"BTW, where in Ohio?"

South Dayton suburbs -- the city of neighbors :P (or Little Kentucky as some of the locals joke).

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2007, 10:55:38 am »
KY was short for Kentucky? Oh.  I was thinking something else.  ::)  Never mind.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 10:56:30 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

anne

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2007, 12:36:39 pm »
I'm with Drewstar. Unless you cant fit a mid-sized tub in your location, I'd not limit yourself to something too small. I shopped with the idea that I'd have people over with some frequency, and that at least my BF and myself would use it "all the time," so I was going to be happy with a 7' model. Nothing huge, but not a 3 person, either. As it turned out, the tub that I fell in love with was an 8' model, so that is what I got. I would have stressed over the potential reduction in energy efficiency, but reading here and research elsewhere taught me that the cost difference month to month between a 7' and 8' tub was pretty minimal.

A little over a year later, I have had friends in the tub about 3 times, and my BF only uses it about once a month (I dont get it!). Still, I dont regret the size. I love moving from seat to seat, and I use the width of the tub to stretch in the water, which might be tricky in a smaller tub.
Dance like nobody's watching

loosenupspas

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2007, 01:10:38 pm »
in my experience as a retailer, which based on customer fedback, most people think 6 person spa and buy it.  Their second spa is smaller, generally a 4 person or smaller.  What they discover over time is only two people ever use the tub.  The first thoughts are wow everyone will stop in and use it but that doesn't happen.  usage is personal and private, limited to the couple and their kids possibly.  a family can be the motivation to buying a larger spa because you anticipate kids and their friends stopping by to use it, now this will happen.  buy what is suitable for your needs.  Coleman 351 is a perfect three person small format hot tub, a personal therapy unit.  another suggestion....if you find you need a larger tub.....trade up.  Good luck........tom

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2007, 01:20:41 pm »
My point was it's not a "six person" spa. It's a spa with 6 diferent therapy seats.  In fact if you try to put 6 average sized adults in some of these 6 seaters, you'll be pretty tight.

Just because 1 or 2 people are going to use the spa, doens't mean they should buy a spa that only has one or two therapy stations.  Think of it like "circuit training".
07 Caldera Geneva

SpaNE

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2007, 06:09:25 pm »
P.S.: Mez -- thanks for the offer! Don't think I've worn a bikini since I was 8. :-[

I'm glad to hear that you swim au natural. ;)

Mez

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2007, 06:24:13 pm »

P.S.: Mez -- thanks for the offer! Don't think I've worn a bikini since I was 8. :-[

EVEN BETTER!!! No bikini at all!!!!!! :) :)
I pormise not to peek!

Mez

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2007, 06:28:15 pm »

A little over a year later, I have had friends in the tub about 3 times, and my BF only uses it about once a month (I dont get it!). Still, I dont regret the size. I love moving from seat to seat, and I use the width of the tub to stretch in the water, which might be tricky in a smaller tub.

Anne, I dont get it either, whats up with your BF??
I would be in there with you on a daily basis!!  ;)

Mez

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2007, 06:32:28 pm »
"BTW, where in Ohio?"

South Dayton suburbs -- the city of neighbors :P (or Little Kentucky as some of the locals joke).
I am not sure I can put a plug in for the dealer I bought from, but maybe i will send it to you in a private message.
They have a location in Dayton, Middleton and Cincinnati...South Dayton, either of the two is worth checking out. Besides a delay in getting the tub of about 2 weeks, they have been great to deal with, very low key sales tactics, no pressure, no B.S.

Mez

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2007, 06:45:01 pm »
KY was short for Kentucky? Oh.  I was thinking something else.  ::)  Never mind.
I was thinking the same thing! Why do you think I invited her over to wet test my tub :) :) :)

KY Girl in OH

• I in yur sink . . . soakin mah pads!
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2007, 10:39:44 pm »
Thanks for all the continued good suggestions. Everyone has had some great points. Looking forward to getting a start on shopping around tomorrow as I'll be off work for the next 4 days ;D. Drewstar's spa therapy circuit training analogy is sounding mighty appealing at the moment (yep the back is in knots  :'().

Mez - thanks for the heads up on ASAP. I haven't really been asking around about dealers, but lately conversations about spas keep coming up. Several co-workers and a patient I've been working with have had great things to say about the local Hot Springs dealer and one friend gave Watson's a thumbs up, but no one has had anything to say about ASAP or the local Spa Gallery (Sundance) store. So, I was wondering. I seem to have four solid choices within easy driving distance.

Posted by: SpaNE Posted on: Today at 6:09pm
 I'm glad to hear that you swim au natural.
Posted by: Mez Posted on: Today at 6:24pm
EVEN BETTER!!! No bikini at all!!!!!!  
I pormise not to peek!

Well, sure set myself up for that. :-[ Anything is possible in the realm of cyberspace I suppose, but hope you guys don't have high expectations for this to happen in real life .

Everyone have a good night! I'm sure you're all out there enjoying a soak while I'm in here at the keyboard .  :'((Pitiful enough ?).

A Kentucky Girl in Ohio ( ::)What else could it possibly mean ROTFLOL?)

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2007, 11:20:57 pm »
one friend gave Watson's a thumbs up
FWIW, If I was stranded in the Sahara and the Watsons here in the STL was the only retailer that had water there, I still wouldn't buy from them. Hopefully yours is ALOT better.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 05:45:06 am by WHY_NOT »

anne

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2007, 02:05:33 am »

Anne, I dont get it either, whats up with your BF??
I would be in there with you on a daily basis!!  ;)

He's a wimp! In the winter, the air is too cold to make it out there (in CA!). In the summer, its too hot....even though I tun it down to 100.  Apparently he doesnt find hot water and massaging jets as therapeutic as me! I think he just doesn't manifest stress the same way I do. Basically, 90% of the time he joins me he has ulterior motives. ;)

And Drew, that is what I meant about 6 seats, too. Circuit training is a great way to put it!!!

A
Dance like nobody's watching

Mez

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2007, 05:56:30 am »

He's a wimp! In the winter, the air is too cold to make it out there (in CA!). In the summer, its too hot....even though I tun it down to 100.  Apparently he doesnt find hot water and massaging jets as therapeutic as me! I think he just doesn't manifest stress the same way I do. Basically, 90% of the time he joins me he has ulterior motives. ;)

A
And he only gets in ONCE A MONTH! My wife and him would get along great! :)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2007, 05:56:30 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42