What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Am I thinking too small? (no pun intended)  (Read 9787 times)

KY Girl in OH

• I in yur sink . . . soakin mah pads!
Am I thinking too small? (no pun intended)
« on: July 14, 2007, 06:50:53 pm »
I have only begun in my process of research into hopefully purchasing a home spa and was fortunate enough to stumble across this site. Lots of useful information. I've been too under the weather the last week or so to get out to any real stores and start wet testing, so I've focused on searching the net in the meantime. I'm considering focusing on looking at smaller spas and am wondering if I'll be happy in the long run or if bigger is better? There are so many choices in terms of size that I'm starting to feel very overwhelmed. How to find that balance between what I want, need and will get the most use out of for my money? My main reason for wanting a spa is for relaxation/therapeutic. I work in health care and many days I come home with my back, if not whoe body in knots. I'd say that 75% to 90% of the time I'll be the only person using the spa. I have occassional company, but am single and most of my friends are married and busy with their own families. So, while I don't mind being sociable at all I'd say I'll be the primary user. Secondly, I'm only 5' 1.25" (can't forget that all important 1/4" :D) and so it seems a smaller spa would likely be more comfortable (I realize will only know for sure with wet testing)and easier for me to handle the maintenance of. I'm thinking smaller might also be a little more energy efficient? Also, back patio is only a little under 10' width, so not tons of room to work with as far as set up. Am I off in my reasoning? Will I be happy with 3 to 5 person unit or will I be immediately wishing I'd purchased a 6 to 7 person unit? Input from the voice(s) of experience most welcome. Thanks! Melissa :)

Hot Tub Forum

Am I thinking too small? (no pun intended)
« on: July 14, 2007, 06:50:53 pm »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: Am I thinking too small? (no pun intended)
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 07:25:30 pm »
We have a 2 to 3 person Jetsetter at home and it is fine.

We find that most 2nd time buyers buy smaller.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Im-A-Duck

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 07:34:32 pm »
Being a man I wanted the biggest baddest hot tub out there but my wife put her foot down and I had to settle for a smaller tub. We ended up going with a Caldera Martinique because it is one of the only tubs that my wife didn't "drown" in. It had everything we wanted in a smaller package. It is 6'5" X 7'6" and it has the lounger that my wanted but has given that seat up to me. Great jet power, each seat targets a different part of the body. The best thing about it was that I found a store that was closing their doors to move to another city and they gave me one hell of a deal. It retails for $6995 and I got it for $4295 and it wasn't a floor model. Only thing is that I have to call Caldera if I ever need service being there is no dealer within 200 miles, but Caldera is a reputable brand and have a good track record.

Best of luck finding the right tub!!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 07:52:20 pm »
To answer some of your specific questions:

Only you can determine the right spa for you.  We went with a larger one, a Sundance Optima, and usually it's just the two of us.  Ocasionally we get 4 or 5 in there, and it's nice to have the room.  Also, even when it's just the two of us, it's nice to have a LOT of seats to choose from.  Each seat has a unique jet arrangement and offers a different massage experience.   One thing to consider is the "one that I didn't get" conundrum.  Go for the spa that "sings" out to you, regardless of size.  You won't get full enjoyment if you settle or compromise, you'll always be kicking yourself for that one that got away.
 But only you can decide what's right for you.

All things being equal, a smaller spa would probably be somewhat less expensive.  Purchase price would be lower, water capacity lower so less power needed to heat the water, and less chemicals needed for upkeep.  You're only saving the difference, so hard to say exactly how much.  But it does take less power to heat 250 gallons of water than 500, all other things being equal, like insulation and build quality.

Don't fret too much about being "vertically challenged".  There are booster seats available if you feel too low in the water.

You're on the right track realizing that wet testing is the way to go.
Brewman

D.P. Roberts

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 10:15:07 pm »
Our first spa was a 6-8 seater, as we thought we'd invite lots of people over all the time. We ended up just using it ourselves 95% of the time. If we get another one, it will be a smaller one -2/3 seater, or maybe 4/5 seater at most.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 10:18:25 am »
I'd say it depends on how you plan to use your spa.  In my case, I wanted to be able to do the "altered states" thing from time to time (extremities extended while floating and staring straight up at the stars) as well as entertain a few friends here and there (So far there have been very few of these parties and the tub is use 85% by me and the other 15% is me and my boys (ages 11 & 4).  My wife is 5'.0" (no 1/4 for her) but she does just fine in our larger 91"x91" tub the few times she has ventured in.  One thing to consider is to go lounger or no lounger.  Those with higher amounts of bodyfat (90% of the American public) tend to "float out" of most lounger seats.  You don't have to be "fat" to exceed the recommended bodyfat levels.  A 5'0" tall women weighing 95lbs is below those levels and at 110 that same person would be above those levels and therefore start to float.  So, a wet test is always a good recommnedation for ANYONE considering a tub.
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

GoBlue

• D-1 Diplomat
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 10:30:44 am »
Our spa quickly became a private place for me and my wife. We didn't want other people in the spa as we thought we would.  However, we use a variety of seats as they have different jet placement.  But as long as the jets were right, a two person spa would work for us.  
If I could just chew through these restraints...

Mez

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 10:42:23 am »
Hi Melissa, welcome to the forum and good luck with your search. It seems you have already researched some and you know your next step is to wet test. Jet placement and variety is what I looked for in shopping. I opted for a 4-5 person tub (Jacuzzi J345) and like the variety of the seats, each offering its own mix of jets. I also like to "stretch out" in mine and this allows me to do so 84"X84". It is on a 10 ft square slab and left me about 1.5 feet around in each direction which is plenty to get around.
I say go out and wet test and get the one you really like becasue if you are like me, you will regret getting something less than that. I really wanted a J365 but went a little cheaper and while I dont regret it terribly, I do think I should have gotten it in the long run. I guess size does matter afterall :)
And by the way, I am in Cincinnati, so if you want to put on a bikini and come over and wet test my Jaccuzi J345, feel free : ;) ;) ;)

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 10:42:27 am »
 Those with higher amounts of bodyfat (90% of the American public) tend to "float out" of most lounger seats.  You don't have to be "fat" to exceed the recommended bodyfat levels.  A 5'0" tall women weighing 95lbs is below those levels and at 110 that same person would be above those levels and therefore start to float.  So, a wet test is always a good recommnedation for ANYONE considering a tub.
Please correct me if I'm wrong but I beleive that 25% or lower of body fat is the recommended level for a healthy female. I would think that one could be 5' 110lbs and still fit under the recommendation rather easily.

Btw, I just rang in at 9%. :)

Mez

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2007, 02:27:48 pm »
Please correct me if I'm wrong but I beleive that 25% or lower of body fat is the recommended level for a healthy female. I would think that one could be 5' 110lbs and still fit under the recommendation rather easily.

Chad, my wife is 5'0" (actually about 4'11 1/2" but she claims 5' even :) )...and weighs in at 96 lbs and she still floated out of a lounger when we wet tested...I thought maybe it had to do with the "floatation devices" women come equipped with :)
I am 5'10" and weigh 160 lbs and I had the same problem unless I locked my feet into the foot area in the lounger. I havent checked my % of body fat but I probably ring in pretty low myself.

CalicoskiesNC

• In hot water since July 2004, love our Optima
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2007, 06:42:43 pm »
My dh and I are usually the only two in our Optima and I wouldn't want it smaller.  We like to stretch out and I enjoy having different seats to hop to and from.  If you have the space, I recommend mid to larger size spa.  Have fun!

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2007, 08:54:49 pm »

Chad - I didn't think it was that high (25%) but it is possible that I am not getting the "official" line.  What I hear is "I've gained weight and now that I am fat, I don't want to wear a bikini anymore" (she's 110lbs).   Maybe I should trade her in for one half her age?  Naw, can't afford that!
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

KY Girl in OH

• I in yur sink . . . soakin mah pads!
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2007, 01:49:18 am »
Thanks for all the great replies and advice and the friendly welcome everyone! :) I'm looking forward to doing a little leisurely shopping later this week when I have some unexpected (but very welcome) time off of work. I feel a little better equipped to resist the lure of buying more than I need just because it's big and pretty and also resisting the lure of gadgets and technology just for the sake of gadgets and technology (I do so love gadgets :o). I have a tendency to gravitate towards more technology than I need or will ever use from blenders to PDA's.

I also meant to say in my initial post that I've really enjoyed seeing the pictures everyone has posted of their tubs/set ups. Very nice. Great use of space.

Will report back with progress!

P.S.: Mez -- thanks for the offer! Don't think I've worn a bikini since I was 8. :-[

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2007, 07:51:35 am »
Of course, only you can give the right answer.  We bought a 6 person spa when it was my wife and daughter and I. Now it is just the two of us. But its nice having the extra room and each seat has something to offer. . In your case, being alone, take a look at covers and coverlifters.  If that gets too heavy you will be less likely to use it in the winter when it is the best.

BTW, where in Ohio?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2007, 07:55:55 am »
Our spa quickly became a private place for me and my wife. We didn't want other people in the spa as we thought we would.  However, we use a variety of seats as they have different jet placement.  But as long as the jets were right, a two person spa would work for us.  

My sentiments exactly.  In the 4 years we have had our tub, only once has it has 6 persons in it.  And the number of times it has had more than 3 can be counted on your fingers and toes.  However, its the perfect size for us.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2007, 07:55:55 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42